Author Topic: Rats and Spiders  (Read 727 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Rats and Spiders
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

I got yet another folder today.  The top one in the photo is a Rat 1 Chinese Clone.  It is actually a pretty nice knife but it is really big and heavy.  The next one down is a Ganzo axis lock Rat 1 knockoff.  Again, an excellent knife but the axis lock is hard to operate even after I adjusted the spring.  The thumb stud does not stick out far enough.  The third one down is the one I got today and is a genuine Ontario Rat 2.  They said it was 20% smaller than the Rat 1 but it is pretty small; I find it hard to open due to the small size.  The bottom one is the Spiderco Tenacious and it is the leader of the pack.  The prices ranged from $45 down to about $15.  The Rat 2 is a good EDC but not a field knife.  The others will do fine in camp for small chores.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Rats and Spiders
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
I think I have that Rat Chinese clone.  But I've been jonesin' for a Spyderco.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Nice bunch of knives.

I have had, for over 25 years, two Spyderco folding knives.  A Delica, and a Endura.  They are good quality knives made early in Spyderco's start up.  The knives made today are better I think, better material in the handles and the metal clips instead of the early knives molded in clips.  The Seki made knives are still the same quality steel though, from what I can tell. 

Mine were seconds, obtained from an employee, and they had the molded in plastic clip ground off.  That didn't bother me at the time, but today I would prefer a metal clip on them.  Visually mine look like the Tenacious you have. 

What I like about Spyderco knives, besides their quality and design, is the number of models they have made and the wide variety of steel they have used in their blades.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:45:13 PM »
Spyderco headquarters are in the town where I attended college.  And the home of the original Coors brewery:  beautiful Golden, Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »
Been to Golden, been to the Coors brewery, but never been to the Spyderco headquarters.....ne ver even knew it was there. :P :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
The founder, Sal Glesser, started the company in 1976 and settled it in Golden Co in 1978.  He and his wife used to drive around to various shows before that.  A success story for sure.  His first product was a knife sharpener and his first knife wasn't made until 1981. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
Im sure he was able to hire all the consulting engineering talent he needed; Golden is also the home of the Colorado School of Mines. 
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
Yes, i lived next door to Golden most of my life.  My cousin is a graduate of that fine school and so are you as I recall.  What Glesser did was take high quality materials and designs to Japan and produce terrific knives at a reasonable price.  Some of his knives are made in Golden, the high end ones, and they are as good as knives get.  He was inducted into the knive hall of fame a number of years ago. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:26:13 AM »
The Tenacious is a low end Spyderco but it still performs perfectly.  Easy to open and close, blade centered. Holds a good edge, too.   My only complaint is that I am not a huge fan of the leaf shaped blade.

Regaeding the Rat2, I find I can't open it with my left hand.  The pocket clip, while centered, is too close to the thumb stud to allow me to flip it open.  Maybe just fat fingers.
-John Denver