Author Topic: how long between sharpening?  (Read 474 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
how long between sharpening?
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
I realize this depends on a number of factors, but I sharpened a Spyderco Stretch for the first time today, after three years of fairly constant use.  Steel is Superblue/420J1.  Used the ApexPro, starting with a 600 grit stone, and moving to a 1000 grit.  Touched that up with a ceramic stick and a strop. 
I was impressed with three years use and no need to sharpen until now.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: how long between sharpening?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
I have some that go that long but most are sharpened after a couple of hard uses.  Gutting, skinning, and boning out an elk will usually require a resharpening once during the process with a knife made from 1095 or similar.  I have never skinned one with the steel in your Spyderco but it would be interesting to see how it held up to that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
the steel is a laminate.  Superblue steel sandwiched between the 420J1 stainless.  Evidently it really holds an edge.  You can see the line on the blade where the Superblue steel edge shows.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
Bring that one to KICCO Sam, I'd love to see it first hand. Oh yea, and that new Smith...

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 06:59:41 PM »
I have some that go that long but most are sharpened after a couple of hard uses.  Gutting, skinning, and boning out an elk will usually require a resharpening once during the process with a knife made from 1095 or similar.  I have never skinned one with the steel in your Spyderco but it would be interesting to see how it held up to that.

I agree....nothing will dull it more the animal hair....unless you rub it on a rock...

Sounds like a good blade.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:39:50 PM »
I am a little odd, I enjoy sharpening & will touch up my knives from time to time rarely letting then get truly dull. I like the sound & feel of the egde against the stone (diamond stone )
What a great day to be outside.