Author Topic: TOPS new tex creek knives  (Read 615 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
TOPS new tex creek knives
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
has anyone seen the new line by TOPS they are called Tex Creek there are 2 sizes.
with some jimping on the blade and rearward on the handle, sclaes are micarta.
they have a out of the oven finish and a short edege on top near point. they are
made as hunting knives, the price seems reasonable the smaller one is around 8'in
and in 1/8th 1095 steel the XL model is around 11'in and 3/16th in 1095 as well.
anyhoo i've decided to do a few but with a few touches of my own, so any thoughts on these?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: TOPS new tex creek knives
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
I have only seen a couple of photos of them.  Frankly, I am not impressed.  Don't care for the blade shape and don't like the handle profile although it may be comfortable in person.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:44:08 AM »
 I have to agree with Stan,  I'm not impressed with them,  that said,  it doesn't mean they aren't good knives,  they're just a particular gendre of knives that don't excite me,  I've been using outdoor knives most of my life while hunting, fishing, and camping,  you would think that I'd have learned what appeals to me in a knife and what turns me off,  but sometimes I'm a little slow.
 When I transitioned from Buckskining to bushcraft my riflemans knife and scalping blade weren't  what one could call bushcraft knives,  so I looked at what seemed popular with woods bums at the time,  BK-2's, Ontario's Rat knives, and ESSE's were being talked about and used quite a bit,  so that's the way I went, the BK's were way too over built to be practical woods knives,  I traded away my two BK-2's and bought an Ontario Rat-5 which was a little thinner and lighter but not much better,  next was an ESSE-4 and finally a Tops Bob.
 All of the above were good knives for what they are,  in my opinion they are more tactical/survival knives than they are woodsman's knives,  in my opinion there are allot of better choices for good woodsman's knives on the market in their price range,  knives like the Falkniven F-1,  Enzo Trapper, Jeff White knives, and such make much better bushcraft knives,  the newer models from Condor like the redesigned Bushlore, Woodlaw, and bush knife are excellent bush knives for half the price of the Tops Tex Knives.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
Thanks moe, what do i know 'm new to all this
i just thought it look like a nice knive.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:51:16 AM »
Thanks moe, what do i know 'm new to all this
i just thought it look like a nice knive.

LOL,  I wasn't knocking your post or opinion hayshaker,  Tops makes quality knives,  my only complaint comes from my admitted bias of tactical type knives being marketed as general purpose bushcraft or hunting knives,  they simply aren't well suited to those tasks.
 Can you use them to process fish or game, sure, but you can also use a broken chard of hard stone,  but there are better choices was my only point,  now if I was going into a SHTF event I might be more prone to want a tactical/survival type knife like a Tops, Ontario, or Becker,  then again, maybe not depending on what I might have for other tools.
 But then again I'm going off track as usual,  I'm sure they are great knives when used for specific roles. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
well Moe there goes my Tactical jackyl survival series, darn

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
I have only seen a couple of photos of them.  Frankly, I am not impressed.  Don't care for the blade shape and don't like the handle profile although it may be comfortable in person.

Had to go hunt down some images. You have captured my impressions concisely.