Author Topic: Honey-do Jar  (Read 353 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Honey-do Jar
« on: May 27, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »
The snow has been gone from my yard for 6 weeks, now, replaced by 2 feet of grass!
Even though I've barely thawed out from winter, I can't wait for it to get back here, so all I have to think about is the snowblower and chopping wood.

To-Do List:

Weed-whack 1/8 of a acre of prairie grass.
Rake up said grass.
Spray stubble so I won't have to do it again for a year.
Weed 4 raised garden beds.
Augment soil in 4 raised garden beds.
Till 4 raised garden beds.
Plant 4 raised garden beds.
Water garden beds and greenhouse and 2,329 freakin' bedding plants/hanging baskets.
Mow lawn.
Mulch raspberries with grass clippings.
Cut old canes from raspberries (5 x 20' rows).
Drop dead from exhaustion.

And that's just tomorrow's list.

When's winter gonna be here???   :doh:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: Honey-do Jar
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:48:37 AM »
Every other line should read swat bugs or remove ticks.

I haven't been cutting the old canes from ours. They are growing out now, so it's too late to do it right? Shouldn't it be done in the fall ?

We used to enjoy gardening. We just go to the farmers market and buy locally grown mostly (chem free) healthy veggies.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

I haven't been cutting the old canes from ours. They are growing out now, so it's too late to do it right? Shouldn't it be done in the fall ?

We used to enjoy gardening. We just go to the farmers market and buy locally grown mostly (chem free) healthy veggies.
Once the canes loose their leaves, it's sometimes difficult to tell which ones should be removed. I always wait until the new, berry-bearing canes start to leaf out before removing the old canes. This year it got away from me, and it's a jungle out there now.  :(

We are almost to that point of buying stuff we used to grow. I'm finding every year more difficult to keep up with all we used to grow. This year we're down to peppers, tomatoes and a few cabbage. Oh, yeah, and a 16' x 4' bed of garlic planted last fall.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Every other line should read swat bugs or remove ticks.

Gotta agree there.....
Planted flower beds,  and buckets the last two days ...sore....
Only few baskets, can't seem to get it thru DW's head that when we are splitting time between here (city house) and "The Place"...hanging baskets will die.
Have carried them back a forth lately....so only a few.

Garden hasn't been planted for a few years....after heart surgery....too much,... I get tired quick it seems..
So, framers market for us, as well.
Makes for a pleasant morning, strolling around, sampling and grazing on vendors offerings...and BS with many of the people that have become friends....
You know, like the drug ads on TV where everyone is laughing and sitting in two bathtubs.....Ask your DR..."Yeah maybe stretching things a tad)

My Honey Do Jar is now a "find a guy to do this and find a guy to do that....."
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »
Due to my brother's hip surgery & back operation (among other things) we have not planted any garden at all this year......first time in recorded history that I know of. ???

When Heather decided we needed landscaping around the perimeter of the house I told her that that was her decision, but since I've been pulling and chopping weeds out at the farm for the last 60 years, I wanted NOTHING to do with any of it! >:(   Mowing a 1/4 block of lawn 1-2 times a week was enough for me! :rolleyes:

Well, you guessed it.....it ended up being more work than she could handle by herself, so I said HIRE somebody.  Rather than hire expensive professional landscapers, she asked the local school principal if there were any hard-working young men that needed summer work to earn money to help with their college educations.  :shrug:    That turned out to be the smartest thing we've done for a long time......both the boys that were suggested to us were EXCELLENT workers!   None of that standing around waiting to be told what to do next or lollygagging through a task!   They also excelled at finding things that needed done that we hadn't even noticed yet.  They even showed up one evening to unload a truckload of bagged mulch that I'd picked up that afternoon, but hadn't unloaded yet.....when we were going to pay them for that small task, they said, "Oh, that's OK.....it's 'on the house.'  Good NEBRASKA kids with a strong work ethic and a willingness to help pay their own way in life! O:-) O:-)

We paid them well, added a generous tip and felt that we got more than our money's worth. Best of all, I didn't have to do it! :rofl:

EDIT:  BTW.....I just noticed this is my 17,000th post!  I am therefore the undisputed KING OF DRIVEL and RULER SUPREME OF BLABBERMOUTHS! :deadhorse:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 03:29:20 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
I hear ya...my weed whack guy Tyler id the grandson of my fix-it guy...
Learned hard work well.....
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Wolfy you are indeed the Ruler of Blabbermouths.  17,000 posts at , let's say an average of five minutes a post as some of them Nebraska is Okay things were huge and a couple of lines only takes a minute .

17,000 times 5 is 85,000 minutes divided by 60 is  1417 hours rounded off just a bit and that works out to 59 days.  If it was a 40 hour work week it would be 35 weeks or close enough to 2/3 of a year.  That is a heap of time.  Good job.   :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
EDIT:  BTW.....I just noticed this is my 17,000th post!  I am therefore the undisputed KING OF DRIVEL and RULER SUPREME OF BLABBERMOUTHS! :deadhorse:

Holy verbosity, Batman! Congratulations!  You're lucky a couple smilies count as a post...saves wear and tear on your keyboard and nobody cares if you repeat yourself. :cheers:

I've been slacking off for several months, but I see I still have the #2 slot! :lol: