Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the "Orange Peel"  (Read 446 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Maiden Voyage of the "Orange Peel"
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
I finally got away from the homestead for awhile.
My son suddenly decided he wanted a kayak.  He found a Lifetime Products Lancer 100 on sale for $300 dollars off the MSRP.  Whee!  So the first break in the weather and we headed for a nearby lake.  Of course I got invited along, because I had the only vehicle that could haul it. ;)

Conditions were perfect.  It was his first time in a kayak, and it had been 5+ years since he?d been in a canoe, so I was glad for the weather we were handed.
He headed out to explore the lake, and check out the Loon nesting area and beaver hootch at the other end from the small (2 campsites) campground.

While he was gone, I wandered around and found a few signs that the Forest Service had installed.

Yes, just about anywhere in NW Montana is ?bear country?:

Needless to say, I was pretty antsy by the time he got back, not to mention jealous.  My 2 boat in my youth was a wood-and-canvas homemade kayak.  It was 14 feet, and weighed about 90 pounds!  I can?t count how many fish I caught in that thing, trolling a Carrey Special fly behind.  I even had it out on the saltwater fishing for sea-run cutthroat and salmon.
Anyway, when he pulled in, he handed me the paddle and life vest and says, "I know you want to."
I was off in a shot, but my destination was the reeds just to the left of the landing.  When we first arrived, some bird set up a major racket, warning us that we were trespassers.
I glided into the grass, hoping I could get a look at what bird it was, if it was still there.
One thing about a kayak: you sit so low in the water most wildlife has no clue what you are.  Its more stealthy than even a canoe.
I wasn't disappointed.  I found this ol' girl sitting on her nest.  No wonder she set up a warning.  I was able to drift in within 6 feet of her, and she barely ruffled a feather.

(Western Grebe)

Now that I have a boating partner, it's time to get the canoe down from the rafters and do some more exploring!

Thanks for looking.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Maiden Voyage of the "Orange Peel"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:00 AM »
Lpve the sound a the Loon.

Good you 2 can get on the water together.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »

Good on you Paul,  did you ever restore that old cedar strip canoe or is it the one you're using as a garden box ?

What do you have for a water worthy canoe now ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:49:25 AM »
That's a great day. Maybe a yearly tradition now?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
Good stuff, OP, and some wonderful pics.  Liz and I don't get out on our kayaks nearly enough.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Online crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »
Excellent! Get that boat out of the rafters!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
Cool stuff....Congrats.. ...Thanks for posting.
Remember, "Do not carry all your firearms and ammo in a canoe"....We all know how that ends
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
That is great OP.  Nice that it worked out that way.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
I wish I could get comfortable in a kayak, but having my legs sticking out in front of me and sitting on the floor of the boat like that gets me in the lower back after just a few minutes.  Being able to switch positions from sitting to kneeling in the open boats relieves that problem for me.  Kayaks must outsell canoes by a factor of 10 to 1 these days from what I see on the local lakes and rivers....that's fine with me.  Trends are funny, but kayaks have changed a LOT over the years, giving many more choices to accommodate different waters and styles of paddling.
                                                                              :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
Great pictures, Old Philosopher!  There's nothing like paddling a tranquil lake to stir the spirit.

I love to kayak through the tidal marshes in my area.  As you mention, you can observe far more than from shore.  You gain some measure of acceptance from the wildlife.  And it's nice to be able to drift along with the current...

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
I wish I could get comfortable in a kayak, but having my legs sticking out in front of me and sitting on the floor of the boat like that gets me in the lower back after just a few minutes.  Being able to switch positions from sitting to kneeling in the open boats relieves that problem for me.  Kayaks must outsell canoes by a factor of 10 to 1 these days from what I see on the local lakes and rivers....that's fine with me.  Trends are funny, but kayaks have changed a LOT over the years, giving many more choices to accommodate different waters and styles of paddling.
                                                                              :canoe:
Thanks, gang!

The old wood/canvas kayak I had was a killer on the back, Wolfy. I had to pad my back with one of those square boat cushions. 
Designs have changed radically!  This Lancer has a contoured seat, and straps so you can adjust the recline of the back rest. VERY comfortable.

This is with the seat folded down for transport, but you can see the adjusting straps. The backrest has bungie cords that hook to that anchor point you can barely see in the upper right corner of the picture.

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »
I don't know about SIK's (sit inside kayaks), but all but the very cheapest SOT's (sit on top) have adjustable foot rests or at least molded in foot rests so your legs aren't straight out in front of you.  With the nicely padded and adjustable seats like the one OP showed they're very comfortable.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »
I don't know about SIK's (sit inside kayaks), but all but the very cheapest SOT's (sit on top) have adjustable foot rests or at least molded in foot rests so your legs aren't straight out in front of you.  With the nicely padded and adjustable seats like the one OP showed they're very comfortable.
Only one problem with those foot rests, even the adjustable ones:  they are made for Taiwanese dwarfs! :lol:
I've shrunk down to 5'11, and I had to use the last foot rest in my son's kayak.  He is 6'11", and we're going to stuff a Styrofoam wedge in the bow for him to push against. The existing foot rests hit him about mid-calf!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »
You calling me a Taiwanese dwarf?  I don't have a hint of a Chinese accent unless it's southern Chinese, but I am kinda short.  :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
:lol: :rofl: :cheers:

Nothing personal, but I guess you've never bought "2 year old" baby clothes from a store and find out they would only fit an infant. Maybe a 2 year old Chinese kid....

We checked out 3-4 kayaks and I don't think anyone over 6' could use the foot rests in the SIKs.