Author Topic: Tai Goo  (Read 609 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Tai Goo
« on: June 09, 2017, 06:54:54 PM »
Anyone ever heard of this fellow?  He and I used to chat on Don Fogg's blade forum but that was a long time ago.  Interesting guy.

http://taigoo.com/
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Tai Goo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
Some interesting, if different, designs.  I like some of the blades, some of the handle treatments, and some of his pommel work. 

Hard to tell sizes without something to judge.  Pretty wide range of prices too.  His blog looks interesting although I will save it for a bit later. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »
I recall being on that site before......I especially like his 'miscellaneous knives' page where he displays some of his Bowie and tomahawk work.  Not too bad! ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
I may be wrong, but it seems like the late Ron Hood used to have some association with him back in the day, as well as he and another bladesmith worked together on some projects that were posted on youtube.  Every once in a while you'll run across a post somewhere that will link to them, but the videos have been pulled a long time ago.

As I recall, he had a good reputation.  It also seems like he worked with paleo inspired designs.  Been a while, so I certainly may be wrong.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
Neo-tribal Bladesmiths was big for a while.  They had a website and YT videos.  Tai helped start the craziness.
-John Denver

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 06:33:34 AM »
those knives, while apparently well made and executed,   just have zero appeal for me.  Recurve blades,  wrapped handles,  skinny bits attaching to the handle,  and an over all look that will appeal to 13 year old boys playing World of Warcraft in the parents basement.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »
They are not my cup of tea either but Tai is actually a silversmith.  Thats why his knives look like jewelry.  They are an art form more than a functional tool.  Don Fogg knives are priced in the tens of thousand of dollars because they are valued as art more than a tool even though they are functional tools.
-John Denver

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
as we have always known,   "Art is in the eye of the beholder".    :)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »
Or the seller.
-John Denver

Offline SamD

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
Tai is the one who taught me to make the can forge I told folks about at the first Kracanuner outing I went to, The one where most threw down the BS Card at me over it, most are blade-smiths from here that were just lacking the knowledge that I had learned from Tai.

I still have the VHS tape where he taught a class to the AZ ABANA folks at a hammer in. On that tape you will hear my voice buy the knife he is forging before it is even finished. I still have that knife too.

I linked you tube clips in my messages on this forum about those types of forges.

Tai also allowed me to rent the use of his 2ton Kunh air hammer to forge my S7 stake anvils and 4140 tang style hammers and H13 tang style hot cut chisel.

I am one of the folks that would go over to his place for the full moon forging sessions and am one of the early members of the Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths.

Tim Lively was also one of the early members of the Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths.

I guess you could say I know him a little.  >:D
I spent more then few nights over at his home playing in the fires of the forges an chatting with other folks there some who's names folks here would recognize!

Tai prefers to forge to shape and grind/sand as little as possible. He forges in the edges almost to sharp, bevels and all forged and packed almost to completion before heat treating. He likes to use Turks Head knots as guards and pommel treatments as well as for decoration.

He is a unique individual!
U.S. Army Paratrooper, DAV (life member), American Legion (life member), NMLRA (1 of 1000 member) & (life Member), NRA (life member)
"BY THE RUDE BRIDGE THAT ARCHED THE FLOOD. THEIR FLAG TO APRILS BREEZE UNFURLED. HERE ONCE THE EMBATTLED FARMERS STOOD. AND FIRED THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!"

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
Hey there Sam, good to see you.