Author Topic: The world record Grizzly bear taken in 1953  (Read 313 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
The world record Grizzly bear taken in 1953
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
I saw a post on this in FB and thought it quite interesting.  Both from a firearm standpoint and a human story. 

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz4jKwXOOaH
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
Re: The world record Grizzly bear taken in 1953
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
Interesting, Thanks for posting
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »
One should not easily dismiss the venerable .22 rim fire.  I know folks in the hills around here who have fed their families venison for many years with the .22.

When I was in Alaska, a story come out of the North Slope.

At a family fishing camp out on the ice, the fishermen had left their catches on racks to dry in the sun while they went out again.
Left to guard the fish racks was a young girl. I can't remember if she was 12, or 16 years old, but they left her with an old H&R 9-shot, dbl action .22 cal revolver to scare away the gulls or ravens.
Standing there, bored to death, she sensed something behind her. When she turned around there was a full grown polar bear.
The bear stood up on its hind legs, towering at least 5 feet over the girl only a few feet away.  She raised the .22 and took aim where the bear's lower jaw joined the throat, emptying the revolver as quickly as she could pull the trigger.
When the fishing party returned, they found the drying fish safe, an ashen-faced young lady, and a dead polar bear.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Thanks for digging up and sharing a great story, Stan! :thumbsup: :cheers:   I knew it was a .22 that killed that monster grizz, but not all the 'pertickalers' of the kill and that spunky ol' woods gal. :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:15:42 AM »
I hope I never have to shoot a grizzly at close quarters with any caliber, much less a .22.

...now I have to go to the bathroom.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson