Author Topic: Fresh Pineapple  (Read 666 times)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Fresh Pineapple
« on: July 21, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
Just wanted to show a picture of a pineapple my wife grew in the back yard. She planted the cut top of a pineapple 2 years ago. It was finally ripe and ready to eat the other day. I've eaten a lot of pineapple in my day (and drink a lot of pineapple juice), and I have to say this was the most flavorful pineapple I've ever eaten.

She'll be planting the top off of this one also.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Fresh Pineapple
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
 :thumbsup:  I love pineapple but live in area where it cannot be grown unless you have a year around greenhouse. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
Kelly did that.  The creatures in the neighborhood help themselves to them.  They also spread.  And now I'm going to need a Kevlar suit to rid my backyard of them.  Snakes like them.  So no mice.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
We've got the climate for it, but that's a long time to wait for a piece of fruit. The next one's going to be used in a nice rum drink. I'll update this post in 2019.

Tony, no animals got to this one, but I did notice a few small snakes on the patio over the last few weeks. Fortunately, the cat was on duty and took care of that issue. One actually got in the pool and the cat waited in one of the corner edges of the pool and snagged it when it came swimming by and quickly dispatched it.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
Our snakes have been cool so far.  Garden variety.  There was a Black Racer in the front yard for awhile.  He liked the Sago palms.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »
wow that is so cool. now all ya need is some
papaya
guava
mangoe
lillicoi
and coffee.
sadly i can't grow any of that.

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
That's awesome!! Would love to be able to do that. My pick would be a lemon tree, we go through tons of them in my house. Our climate is only suitable for potatoes and tomatoes. Am trying to grow some peanuts this year, last year we tried watermelon on the front lawn. A week before harvest, somebody stole them all.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
We've got the climate for it, but that's a long time to wait for a piece of fruit. The next one's going to be used in a nice rum drink. I'll update this post in 2019.

Tony, no animals got to this one, but I did notice a few small snakes on the patio over the last few weeks. Fortunately, the cat was on duty and took care of that issue. One actually got in the pool and the cat waited in one of the corner edges of the pool and snagged it when it came swimming by and quickly dispatched it.

I'll bring the umbrellas.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
Crash, that's EXACTLY what I'm thinking about for the next one... actually, I may hit up Publix tomorrow, grab a pineapple, and get a head start on perfecting the coring and juicing method. Gotta have the umbrellas.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
one thing i've found with growing tropical friuts in minnesota.
that when you over winter them indoors.
you need a whole lot of humidity around 75-80 percent.
I once grew papaya plants from seed they got to about 3 feet
before they died, had 2 meyers lemmon bushes. 2,limes
and a few banana plants. it was not from lack of water somuch as lack of humidity.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »
so that actually works.... cool 8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
one thing i've found with growing tropical friuts in minnesota.
that when you over winter them indoors.
you need a whole lot of humidity around 75-80 percent.
I once grew papaya plants from seed they got to about 3 feet
before they died, had 2 meyers lemmon bushes. 2,limes
and a few banana plants. it was not from lack of water somuch as lack of humidity.

That is good to know, i have been curious about growing limes and bananas.
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »

I'll bring the umbrellas.

I want sometime next winter at a camp for everyone to bring full camo, strap on a sidearm, sling that AR-15 over your shoulder, put one of these in all of our hands and get a group pic...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  Do we need to have our pinkies sticking out?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 01:25:43 AM »
Wow I would love a real (not from a can or bottle pre-mixed) pina colada!

We did a fresh pineapple a few months ago. Time to get another. They are soooo much better fresh than canned.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
Heather buys our fresh pineapples at Sam's Club and the majority of them are very good.  Of course, some of them are not as sweet as others, but for the most part they are all very good.  We always thought they were probably more expensive than canned pineapple, but the taste was so much better we kept buying them anyway.

One day, I noticed in the newspaper that the local HyVee store in Sioux City had Dole canned pineapple on sale. Heather had just brought a fresh one home the day before and was getting ready to butcher it, so I decided to conduct an experiment to see how the price of the canned version versus the fresh trimmed fruit compared in price per ounce.  After she had it all trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces, we weighed it and compared the price per ounce for both the fresh and the canned and were amazed :shocked: :shocked: to find that the fresh fruit was actually a little less costly than the canned version!  Who'd a thunk it? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »
It's kinda like would you rather have fresh corn on the cob or canned corn?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
Couldn't wait until 2019 to try a nice Pineapple drink. Publix had whole pineapples @ $2.99, picked up two. Decided to make a Pineapple and Ham pizza as well. Pina Colada and Pizza, a great combo. Had to have the umbrella...

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
it just would'nt be right without the bamboo umbrella.
and that does look tastey indeed.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
I'll bring a blender on our next Krac outing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »
Is it one like this, crash? :shrug:

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »
Couldn't wait until 2019 to try a nice Pineapple drink. Publix had whole pineapples @ $2.99, picked up two. Decided to make a Pineapple and Ham pizza as well. Pina Colada and Pizza, a great combo. Had to have the umbrella...

Dayum, that looks great.   :cheers:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 05:59:45 AM »
I do love fresh Pineapple, but have never grown one.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 05:02:42 PM »
I just bought one this moring at wal-mart
it is about the size of a small softball.
so i'll try to see how it grows.the plant
overall is about 18'in tall