Author Topic: A Prepper Epiphany  (Read 337 times)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
A Prepper Epiphany
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:18:59 AM »
     As I fine tune my prep for these hurricane and storm happenings (Zombie apocalypse is simply more ammo lol) and starting to explore where I'm weak, I realized something.  I mountain biked a lot before I got all stoved up.  In the bike world after you hit a certain price range a little more (Quality) cost a lot more.  Prepping is the same way.   

Canned goods and Ramon noodles are ok but canned goods take up room.  Mountain House can get expensive and nobody wants a steady diet of that.  Water storage past the bathtub and bottled water can get take up room and cost you.  I'm pretty sure I'll "hide" my water tank if and when I get one for a number of reasons. 

Having power (which is what brought this line of thought to me) means having fuel.  My "improved" gen fuel supply went from a 200 dollar 3 fuel kit with a coupla 20# bottle up to 2 100# bottles and a service call to the natural gas company to be ready to hook up to their system.  Plus I will need a roof over the gen and a way to lock everything down.

I can't say no to family or neighbors about food and water if they don't prep (they don't).  More prep.  More money.

I doubt I'll ever get "done".  But I do gives thanks that I can prep as much as I can.  Our 80 plus year old home has never flooded or sustained major damage (Thank rock hard yellow pine framing).  I always feel for the families and singles that live paycheck to paycheck and wonder how they get by if they lose their home.  I imagine living in a shelter is pretty bad. 

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: A Prepper Epiphany
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »

I doubt I'll ever get "done".  But I do gives thanks that I can prep as much as I can.  Our 80 plus year old home has never flooded or sustained major damage (Thank rock hard yellow pine framing).  I always feel for the families and singles that live paycheck to paycheck and wonder how they get by if they lose their home.  I imagine living in a shelter is pretty bad. 

I agree with the never getting done,  you never know what the next storm or emergency will bring.

I had to shudder at your last statement (above),  when I read it I instantly had a mental picture of the poor Squirrel that lives in my dumpster,  he scares the crap out of my tenants every time they lift the lid to toss in a bag of trash,  he's been living there since last winter,  I don't know why it's such a surprise to them, but I do get a kick out watching them jump back when they open the lid and he comes scurrying out.
  I suppose to a squirrel the dumpster is shelter, a soft bed, plenty of easy food, and protection from predators,  but the thought of our having to live on the street or under a bridge really upsets me,  that's probably why I haven't had the heart to evict him,  but then again,  if the balloon ever goes up, he'd be an MRE.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:34:10 PM »
We try to maintain a reasonable supply of food and water on hand at all times.  I need to rotate a bit better.  Recently we bought some long term storage food to have on hand.  Some came from the Mormon warehouse and some from that commercial seller that was the subject of a thread awhile back.

One thing Max said was worth a thought.  I could not deny family a share of our food but all of our family is 400 miles or more away.  Neighbors is another thought.  We have good neighbors and some of them keep a lot of stuff on hand but some don't.  If we had a short term disaster I would probably share some supplies with them.  If it was a TEOTWAWKI affair then I would probably not share anything.  Hopefully that will never happen to us.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »

Max, we converted our generator from gasoline to propane,  we put it on a concrete pad near the house in the back yard and built a small shed around it, we piped the exhaust out the side,  it ran like a champ on gasoline but sputtered and coughed, and finally stalled,  what we found out is that when running propane the generator needs more air than when running on gasoline.
  We raised the roof about 12"  cut in some wire vents and generally allowed for more circulation and air intake,  now it runs great.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
Moe,  I'm still digging out owner manuals on our elec stuff.  And we are due for a new central air unit next year so I have to guestimate what amount of draw that will have.  Pretty sure our current gen will handle everything with the bigger unit.  But before I get started on this project I want to be sure I have it right.

Then there's the wind/solar power system I'm contemplating for the NC cabin... more money. 

Hey something to do with my day until I'm back on my feet.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
My emergency water supply is 35 plastic cat liter containers, and a filtration system.
I'm getting ready to home can another 15 chickens this week. When I look at our pantry and root cellar, I'd say for the three of us we have an obscene amount of stores.
We have a 5 gal bucked full of vegetable seeds.
We have wood heat stoves, and a 1920's vintage wood cook stove.
In a pinch, it won't be luxurious, but we'll survive.

Note to self: buy more ammo and batteries.   ;D
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.