Author Topic: Cool tool out of cheap KFS  (Read 174 times)

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
Cool tool out of cheap KFS
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:58:25 PM »
I had a cheap and nasty camping store KFS set which I couldn't give away, was too cheap to sell and too wasteful to throw out.

"Before"

One piece of equipment I'd been wanting to try out was one of those folding sporks used by the Germans, Swedes and Finns. Perfect time to DIY one up.

Sorry, couldn't find a photo of the original. This diagram should do the job.

First you cut down the handles of the spoon and fork, drilling a hole or two where required.

Using these (or pop/blind rivets backed with a washer) you connect your two utensils...

...and you are left with an amazing set of eatin' irons which are far more than the sum of their parts.

Round off any sharp edges and you're good to go! For cutting up food, use a camp knife, then shovel it down your yaw with this :-D
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Cool tool out of cheap KFS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »

Neat and simple idea,  I have a couple of those sets hanging around in my campers kitchen,  I think I'll give converting one a go.

Thanks for sharing. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
When I hear the word 'spork,' I usually just snort and turn away, but that's a darned good idea! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
I agree, I really like how that turned out!  I as well have a couple spare sets of those floating around, and now have another future project to do.