Author Topic: Cutting tools you normally carry ?  (Read 386 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Cutting tools you normally carry ?
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »

We've probably discussed this before,  but there's not much going on anyway, so why not ?

Different folks like to carry different gear for different reasons,  for some it's price,  for others it's pride of ownership, I've never been fond of big knives,  but I know guys who love Tom Brown Trackers and other big heavy choppers,  some carry hatchets or axes,  still others prefer to have a folding pack saw or take down buck saw,  I suppose that some of the reasons for their choices may depend on the type of environment that they are hiking or camping in,  the time of year,  the length of their outing,  and the mode of their transportation.
  I mostly day hike far enough to get away from road noise and most people, I like to make a quick camp,  a small fire, some coffee or tea,  and maybe fix a lunch,  sometimes my hike includes some fishing or small game hunting,  and I like to travel slow and light.
  My usual cutting tools are a pocket knife, a 4"~ 5" fixed blade belt knife, a Bacho type folding saw,  and sometimes a good hawk,  unless I'm planning a project that requires an axe or bucksaw.
  My hawk is not meant to replace a hatchet or small axe,  I use it to do those heavier camp chores like processing small pieces of fire wood and kindling, making stakes,  pot holders,  they also help in processing small game,  a hawk is light and pack friendly, and it saves the edge on your belt knife.   
  What's in your pack or on your belt ?

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Cutting tools you normally carry ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »
I generally carry three cutting tools when I am in the woods, just walking about or camping but I add to or subtract from the basic three depending on what the activity will be.

For most day trip hunting and fishing I only carry two cutting tools.  One is a Leatherman tool.  The knife is used for gutting and cleaning fish and if deer are involved I still carry the Leatherman but use a fixed blade to dress out the animal.  As with most of us I have several fixed blades to choose from.  I like them all but there three or four that are my favorites.  If overnight camping is involved then I add an axe or a hatchet dependent on where I am at and sometimes a buck saw.

A couple of years back I bought a skinning knife that uses detachable razor blade inserts.  I really bought it for skinning racoons and other fur bearers but only used it a couple of times.  I hope to use it next year to skin a muskrat or beaver.     
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »

Stan,

I've tried to warm up to multi tools,  I have a few of them,  if I have a favorite it would be my Bucklite multi tool, it's made of stainless but it's lighter than the letterman or Stanley brands that I have,  it has a main blade, smaller blade, metal file (one side fine, one side course) wood saw, reg. and slotted screw drivers, and the pliers,  it's also the most comfortable of the three.
  Sadly, I just can't like them enough to carry them,  I can only imagine having to clean one after gutting and scaling fish with one of them,  If I'm fishing I'm probably wearing my 40 year old fly fishing vest and there's a Martinelli fish knife hooked to it.
  One of the guys in our deer hunting group has a razor knife made for gutting and skinning, I think it was called a Wyoming knife,  he used it on small game and deer and loved it,  I guess I'm just too traditional for one of those things.
  I may have mentioned it before here,  a couple of years ago I bought a Shrade Trapper styled folding knife called the Buzz Saw model, it has two blades, both stainless, one is a traditional trapper styled blade, the other is a lock back wood/bone saw,  it takes a great edge and holds it pretty well,  it makes a great small game and bird knife,  the narrow blade works great for gutting and skinning small game and also on game birds like pheasant and grouse,  best part is I only paid $20.00 bucks for it on Amazon. 

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:26:08 PM »
Mines much like yours Moe.

I pick my saw by how much fire I think I'll need. For a walk and boil like you mention, the little Opinel saw is my favorite. I liked the wood handle aesthetic so I got the bigger one too, which I'll take instead if the plan is longer burn time.

the knife is variable. I don't mind bringing more than one. MI puukko or TK2 makes me pretty happy. My favorite hatchet is the Roselli. It is kinda perfect for bushcraft really. I might have a sak cadet in my pocket. Last time I bought a good pocket knife, I lost it- so I gave up on them.
 Oh, sometimes I might use a bigger saw or axe. Or, no saw or axe. Those are my favs.

Edit to add: multi tools look so cool, I like the idea. For whatever reason I just never have to work on anything where I don't have access or a regular tool :shrug: when I want to feel prepared I have pliers or vice grips.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:38:09 PM by Unknown »

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:54:38 AM »
   EDC around town is usually a multitool and a micro,  a dedicated for food Opinel (I hate plastic knives),  and a 5-11 made by Blade Tech that rides near my carry pistol. I don't cut anything with it unless I'm caught with my pants down.  It's self defense and MAN I hope I never need it.

Woods I carry at least one Crashdive, a Redneck, an Opinel for food, and a Corona folding saw.  If I'm not on foot a GB hatchet and a Wetterlings canoe axe.

Sometimes I go where a machete is the best tool for the job.  Lump a parang in there with "machete".  Sometimes a little heft is called for.  I usually only carry an Opinel with that.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
  I'm pretty fortunate in that my area of the country the woods aren't all that thick so not much trail clearing is needed, clear water and decent firewood is plentiful, there's allot of small standing dead wood that's easily processed by hand,  there's allot of mixed hardwood and pine in most areas so squaw wood for getting a fire going is pretty easy,
I use my folding saw for cutting down and bucking up wrist size or under standing dead hardwood,  then split it down further with my hawk if I have it or baton it down with my belt knife if it's all I have.
  The saw also comes in handy if a fire ban is in force,  usually small wood or twig stoves are permitted and the saw does quick work of bucking up 3" pieces for my stove,  actually my folding saw and hawk take care of most all of my wood processing chores,  the couple of knives that I carry usually only do food prep or whittling duty, and occasionally process fish or small game.
  As an aside, we often when asked what our most important survival tool is (besides experience and skills),  most of the time our answer is a good knife, for me it would be a toss up between a good knife and a good hawk or small hatchet,  actually there isn't much that a knife can do that you can't do with a hawk or hatchet, I'd probably if given the choice go with the hawk because the handle is removable and the hawk head can be used like a knife or scraper,  and if broken, the handle can be easily replaced with any like sized green tree branch.
  Probably not worth mentioning but something to think about, I never think of my cutting tools as defensive weapons,  mostly because there are very few reported instances of people or animal attacks in our areas woodlands,  outside of the rare rabid small animal or black bear there's not much in our area that one should fear being harmed by,  I'm sure there are a few cannabis patches here and there but they usually belong to some local pot head growing it for his own use and not some criminal enterprise that needs to be protected at any cost or with violence,  but I do carry a handgun or a long gun if a hunting opportunity might present itself in season,  just in case, it allows me to stay a reasonable distance away from any potential threat,  my comfort zone is further back than what is needed to wield a knife or hatchet against an aggressor, thank you too much. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
EDC:

Leatherman (Don't use the clip blade much; carry for other tools)
Folding razor knife (single blade, about 2" long, about 1/2 oz)
Kershaw Blackout folder

FIELD TRIPS:

EDC + Bowie and folding pruning saw on belt

HUNTING:

EDC + Bowie + 5 1/2" blade Winchester sheath knife and T-handled game saw in pack (replaces pruning saw, with multiple uses).

Like Moe, most firewood in this area for 1 or 2 day over-nighter is easily gathered and processed with the Bowie.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Keith H

• Mill File+
    • A Woodsrunners Diary
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »

Tomahawk, hunting knife, friction clasp knife, & a legging knife.
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference. Frost.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »

Tomahawk, hunting knife, friction clasp knife, & a legging knife.
Keith.

Thanks Keith,  that's about all one needs,  if I'm just out woods bumming I usually carry a pocket knife, much of the time It's a time worn # 9 Opinel that looks like it dates back to the F&I war, modern bushcraft knife, my favorite hawk, and a folding saw.
 When I'm on a scout or hunting small game with my Fusil de Chasse I carry the Opinel, a rifleman's knife with a crown antler handle in my sash,  a smaller version in a sheath on my shot bag, and my hawk,  oh and a patch knife in a sheath on my bags shoulder strap.     

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 01:05:34 AM »
Since pics say more then words:

Pic 1, when we go for longer then a weekend in wintertime and stay mostly in 1 place.
.....(diy bucksaw, axe, diy knife, diy neckknife, silky gomboy 240)
Pic 2, when not much distances are done, but still we want to setup a proper camp.
.....(diy bucksaw, axe, diy knife)
Pic 3, when we go distances and count with fire for cooking / keeping warm in the evenings.
.....(diy knife, silky gomboy 240)
Pic 4, when I want to go lightweight and only need a small fire for cooking.
.....(diy neckknife, opinel saw)

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
I posted a pretty complete post yesterday....Gone?

Anyway:
EDC
SAK Hunter
Schrade Automatic
SAK money clip with blade.
+
If I'm wearing a belt....leather SAK pouch with Mini Multi Tool, Mini BIC and ferro rod.
+
Working around the place.....in the bush add an Ontario Rat 5  all around use.

Hunting...
Crashblade or Buck fix belt knife
Buck 110 Mini folder

Fanny pack converted to shoulder bag add
BullsEye small ax/ Mora combo.

Out west hunting
+
Wyoming saw...3 blades.

I have several Multi tools....can't seem to keep carrying them.
Never gave a saw a thought unless hunting....

Primitive
Bowie, Russel Green River and made for me hawk.

Neck patch knife and striker

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »
This is my default setup.. I'm in australia and chopping wood really insn't necessary. There are always downed trees that can be processed faster and more efficiently with the saw..

I may change out the axe of knife with other variations but this is the minimum I prefer..

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
This is my default setup.. I'm in australia and chopping wood really insn't necessary. There are always downed trees that can be processed faster and more efficiently with the saw..

I may change out the axe of knife with other variations but this is the minimum I prefer..

Well I'd say you have cutting tools pretty well covered,  I love the looks of the Adventure Sworn saw,  but then again you can't go wrong with anything Cody makes,  I had a GB Mini for a short while, they are a great little carving axe but I wasn't using it all that much, I sold it and bought the GB Wildlife hatchet and prefer it to the smaller one which makes a nice hunting or summer chopper,  if I do any winter hikes (which is rare) I take along my Small Forest Axe.
  Also like your choice of knives,  I love my AS Classic, that or my Black Feather SBT clone are my go to knives for the past year or so.
  You have excellent taste my friend.

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
I'm in the woods almost every weekend unless it's raining or a snowstorm but for reasons different than most of y'all , I'm either clearing a house lot , gathering or processing wood so I'm usually in with one of my chainsaws , one of my SAK's in pocket and one of my restored 2 lb to 3 1/2 lb axes for driving wedges and occasionally chopping my pinched bar free .

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 05:26:14 PM »

You have excellent taste my friend.

Thanks moe..