Author Topic: Mule deer are sneaky  (Read 164 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Mule deer are sneaky
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
And the DWR plans the hunt around the toughest couple of weeks of the year.

Or to put it another way, no opening day success for me yesterday.  :(

Will try again throughout the week and next weekend, but every day means less potential bucks out there. I can't take time off work because there are always unrealistic deadlines to meet, even without time off. And I can't afford the time to spend hours and hours several times a week scouting leading up to the hunt.

If I get one, it will be sheer dumb luck on my part, and incredible complacency and stupidity on the part of the buck. But like any other kind of gamble, the more you play, the better your chances.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Mule deer are sneaky
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »
Good luck!  Our deer in FL apparently are little stinkers compared to the rest of the nation.  A lot of the boys go out of state to harvest meat.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
Good luck with your hunting.  Just remember that being lucky is often the result of being smart.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
Good luck
Note: Arby's has venison sand which coming soon. Just in case the well wishes don't work

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »
Deer are a cunning adversary.....eyes like 8X binoculars, ears like CIA listening devices and a nose like your mother's when you came in from a late night party in high school. :-\

Beware of the old matriarchal does......they'll be the first to bust ya' every time! :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
Scared two does off my front porch this morning after dropping my daughter off at day care.  :rolleyes:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
We seem to have better luck at 65 mph with the high beams on and the horn blowing...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
Heather bagged a nice doe about a month ago....with our Ford Fusion....on a sunny mid-afternoon....going less than 50 mph....while watching intently for deer where they always cross the highway about a mile south of town.   Since she wasn?t going very fast and was prepared to stop, it only cost us a left front quarter panel and a plastic grill.  $1,200 damage on 7 year old car with 175,000 miles on the clock. :rolleyes:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
I have hit three does with our cars over the last five years.  Not one of them had the decency to die so I could get the meat either.  I have to go real slow now as I am afraid if I tag another one they will think about canceling my insurance. 

My neighbor bought a $2500 bumper for his Dodge one ton and promptly hit one with the driver's side door.  :(  .

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
You mean that deer hit him. Ran off laughing no doubt.

My buddy has some trail cam shots of a huge buck just before the season started. Nothing since. They're kinda smart...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
You mean that deer hit him. Ran off laughing no doubt.

My buddy has some trail cam shots of a huge buck just before the season started. Nothing since. They're kinda smart...

Yep. I read they can move 30 miles in a day and where you spot one one day isn't really any gurantee you will find them there the next. I found tons of dry tracks that were made in damp soil. It is a really dry climate here so I can pretty much nail down the date they were made to the last time it rained, which was a few weeks ago. But determining the age of tracks in the looser dry sandy soil is tough. None of them looked "yesterday" fresh. But there were enough of them to indicate that the area was well travelled.