Author Topic: Echos in the hall  (Read 349 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Echos in the hall
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »
  Is it just me, or is there the sound of echo's around the this place,  there was a time when on any given day and for what ever your reason if you had nothing better to do you could come to B&B, pull up a butt by the fire, grab a coffee, and spend the day flapping your gums with several or more friends,  Lately when I log on and scroll down to see who's here, I find that I'm alone or if I'm lucky there may be one other member hanging around.
 In checking "what's new" it's uncommon to find more than a few new posts from the day before and those usually aren't related too closely to "bushcrafty" stuff,  the last couple of posts about getting out on a hike were in July,  posts on other topics, even in the food section which was always lively, are a couple of weeks old or more.
 Was a time here when there were discussions going on from Baked bean recipes to Big Foot and from guns to gardens, homesteading and raising rabbits to building chicken coops, and how important is your first aid kit,  the most lively conversation lately is about guns/politics,  and that was moved to the closet of shame,  it's a topic we all have an interest in, but evidently we aren't adult enough to be able to discuss it,  while this may sound like sour grapes, it's not,  I'm just expressing a little sadness over on line friends that are missed and spirited conversations that no longer get posted,  I guess it's all what is referred to as progress ???
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Echos in the hall
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »
I have wondered a bit about this and think it is partly the time of year when things were winding down and now hunting seasons are on us.  Several people are gone from here these days as well.  woodsrunner hasn't posted in a long time and a few others are seen very infrequently.  I think most forums go through this to some degree but a small one is most likely to have these issues.  One could make a long list of posters whe have cut way back and visit very seldom. 

Count me as guilty of having stopped gear reviews and making things like alcohol stoves that were fun to do a couple of years ago.  Also have not made any knife sheaths or put handles on a knife in some time. 

I had a knee joint replaced in early October and have another one in November so my activity level outdoors has been nil because of that and will continue to be nil for the next couple of months. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
I?m guilty of not posting as much as I once did. A lot of the things that I do on a weekly basis I?ve already posted about, such as kayak fishing, shore fishing, cooking by the beach, at a park, road trips, etc. I figured if I?ve posted about it prior, I?d be redundant to post the same thing again.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »
this is all so sad and true. I try to pop in every day though i don't post much.
i'm some what new here and yet i can remember names i rearly ever see anymore.
folks who say six months ago you saw somewhat often.
i've seen other fourms fade away for lack of participation then lost intrest.

i feel i've made some friends here somewhat and that is important to me.
i guess many have had life really catch up with them. sometimes i wonder
if i reall have much worth responding to in reguards to the posts i make.
responding is the life of the fourm and i for one need to do a whole lot more.
so many here i wonder where they are like they got black bagged or something.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »

I read a comment a while ago about posting for acknowledgement or the like. It wasn't directed towards me( i don't think) but a lot of my posts are like bragging. It's more look what fun I'm having than look what I have.

One thing I've been wanting to post, but it's personal and I get emotional. My brother who passed away at age 16 when I was 3 had a "survival" kit. A few months before my sister passed she gave me the box. I didn't know it was still around. Quite unique for 1970. I'll start a thread on it soon.

Also, I set my hammock up with my snugpak under blanket and tarp all ready for a good nights sleep. Then was too tired to walk down ther with my sleeping bag and just went to bed...I didn't even get picture of the setup which was perfect.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:20:41 PM »
It seems like lots of forums are slow right now.  The typical "bushcrafting season" in North America is winding down, at least the normal season for folks that don't do winter camping.  I'm actually pretty new here; I'm a long time member of WSF but only recently found this site.  It does kind of bum me out that all of the wilderness survival type forums are pretty quite right now, especially since I'm working so much that I can't get out to the woods at the moment.  I wish I could at least get some vicarious living done by forum!

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
mabey we should do winter camping thread pictures and all.
extra points for having your bush dog along.
oh coconut trees and sandals allowed.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »
Well ill be honest since posting pictures became even more of pita it took the wind from me. I believe a lot of others as well judging from my random occasional pass through visits. Maybe I'm wrong but pic's help stories a lot and I don't have the patients to learn more uploading tricks. Once the trip posting stopped I really lost interest.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
I will try to post something this evening to fill the silence.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 10:49:18 PM »
Well it is definitely slowing down here for sure. All of the factors mentioned already definitely play a part. Photobucket was a big downer. It's getting cold outside in places and the camping season for many is ending. There are other factors as well. Facebook is gaining more and more users all the time and internet forums in general are less popular than they were ten years ago as people move to Facebook.

For my part, I have been waiting for a long time to get better internet service. The DSL service we have is agonizingly slow for uploading videos. A ten minute video takes hours to upload. It sucked all the wind out of my interest in maintaining a YouTube channel. We are supposed to be upgraded to fiber internet this year but they are running out of time. I know they dug up my yard and ran the actual fiber out here but they haven't set it up yet to connect to the house. If I could get a solid and reliable 2mbps upload speed that actually remained constant I would totally get back into making videos. But we will see what the future brings.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:53:50 AM »
  Totally agree PW,  I always had a hard time understanding electronic gadgetry,  I don't know how often I've tried to figure out or follow instructional postings on how to upload pictures onto the forum and ended up giving up in frustration,  and now with photo bucket screwing the pooch most of the people I know say it's harder.

I could be wrong about the lack of posting here on B&B,  but I don't think it being harder to post pictures and videos is the biggest problem,  in my opinion I believe it's self perpetuating,  for one, over the last couple of years we've lost quite a few of our high posting members,  I'd venture a guess that we had at least 20 ~ 30 active members who posted a minimum of five to eight posts a week, half that number (I was one of them) would post that much and more every day, any time you logged on there were at least half a dozen others logged in ahead of you.
  Doing the math that's allot of posts that generate allot of interest,  I think the lower the post count the less interest is generated,  the less interest generated the fewer the posts, the fewer the post the less likely it is that members will spend the type of time here that they used to and stands to reason if they aren't here they aren't posting.
  A couple of examples, One, the last four days I logged on I scrolled down to who else is logged on,  and found that I was alone including today,  then I go to latest posts since my last visit (which was about 24 hours ago) and I find an average of five new posts, of those two may catch my interest and I may reply to one of them.
  The second,  yesterday three or four of us hit on a couple of topics that involved shelters and some other topic,  the conversation lasted a while and quite a few posts were generated in a real time discussion, the key I think is for us to maintain interest we have to stay active,  try to make our posts and threads interesting,  and reply to posts as often as possible.
  We probably aren't going to get those high post count members back again, or any time soon,  but if we each made an effort to be just a little more active in our posting we might just light a fire under some of the newer members and breath some life back into some of the older inactive members. 

Just something t ponder.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
I agree. The forum is what we make of it. As the old saying goes, anything worth having is worth working hard for. But the issue with that is people want to be entertained, not employed. :D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
I agree. The forum is what we make of it. As the old saying goes, anything worth having is worth working hard for. But the issue with that is people want to be entertained, not employed. :D

All very true Ron, but if you invest a little time and post something interesting the rewards are usually gratifying, case in point in just two days we have three threads that have generated more posts and have more people involved in discussion than you had the whole previous week,  and even has you participating in the discussions.
  I've made an effort to be more active in the last week or so than I have been and it seems as though a few other regulars have as well, maybe it's just coincidence, but then again maybe not, but it is encouraging, I hope it continues.
  I've been here since you and Red got B&B off the ground and I'd hate to see it die a slow death,  we've had some disagreements over the years but allot more good times and great conversations,  I'd like to see that continue.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:18 AM »
I'm guilty, life gets in the way sometimes, but interest change as well. I have so many projects that need finished, but just haven't had the time to spend on them. Same for hanging out here. I'm out of town each week and the Internet sucks at the hotel. Like SW, not having photos sure takes the wind out of my sails. PW also hit on it, Facebook takes up some of my time as well, and no problems posting photos there.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 08:37:58 PM »
Well, fall is hunting season. Hopefully some folks will want to share their stories and experiences. I made a post yesterday about a pheasant hunt. I could go into more detail about my deer hunt failure this year, but I'd rather not.   :'( :-[

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
I'm guilty, life gets in the way sometimes, but interest change as well. I have so many projects that need finished, but just haven't had the time to spend on them. Same for hanging out here. I'm out of town each week and the Internet sucks at the hotel. Like SW, not having photos sure takes the wind out of my sails. PW also hit on it, Facebook takes up some of my time as well, and no problems posting photos there.

Spyder, you might give flickr a try. It's pretty simple and I think it is the easiest alternative to photobucket. The phone app is nice because you can upload to flickr from your phone (which is the camera most of us use nowadays) and then open flickr on your computer to get the URL and paste it here. It basically has all the functionality photobucket had but doesn't hold your 3rd party postings for ransom.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 11:59:41 PM »

Spyder, you might give flickr a try. It's pretty simple and I think it is the easiest alternative to photobucket. The phone app is nice because you can upload to flickr from your phone (which is the camera most of us use nowadays) and then open flickr on your computer to get the URL and paste it here. It basically has all the functionality photobucket had but doesn't hold your 3rd party postings for ransom.

I'm still #2 in the Forum post count, but now I'm lucky if I get on here 1-2 times a week.  Sorry 'bout that!
At one point, I started a poll of the members' age brackets.  That was 3-4 years ago. At that time half the 'population' was over 50.  I don't know what's stopping younger, newer members from jumping in and picking up the gauntlet.  Maybe the problem with us ol' pharts is the "been there, done that" syndrome.

I for one backed off on my time spent here to preserve the domestic tranquility.  I was paying more attention to the Forum than I was keeping the home fires burning. Other circumstances have changed, and I don't have the opportunity to post a lot of projects like I used to (machete mods, powdered eggs, etc.).

All that, and the sad truth is I'm running outta steam. By the time I get done tending my ducks, rabbits and laying hens, making home repairs, filling the freezer with the critters I raise, tending & harvesting the garden, and most recently plowing snow, I'm fresh outta ambition, or the urge to gab.

I usually find something to post in the Private joke section, and I just started a thread tonight in the Top Secret sub-forum, but I'm afraid I've become a bit of a recluse as of late.  I do have one topic I'm going to open tonight here in General Discussion. Last year's saga generated a lot of posts.

The one thing I've noticed during my infrequent visits is that most of the posts are by a small hard core group, considering how many members (and guests) we have. How to draw new members out into the open is a good question.

Re: Flickr for photos. I switched to Flickr and won't look back. Windows 10 has an app that lets you copy and paste pix in your Flikr albums with two mouse clicks. Clean links that upload here easily. You can also upload from your computer to Flickr just as easily. The ONLY thing I don't like about Flickr is managing your albums. Maybe I just haven't played with it enough.

Thanks for this thread, Moe.  :cheers:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • Too soon old, too late smart
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 03:35:37 AM »
When Rodney Crowell was dating Rosanne Cash back in the 80's he accompanied her on a visit to Johnny Cash's home in Jamaica.  I guess he felt the need to assert himself, saying he felt he and Rosanne should sleep in the same room, since everyone there was an adult and he didn't wish to be hypocritical about their relationship.  Johnny stared at him for maybe 30 long seconds, and then rumbled, "son, I don't know you well enough to miss you if you were gone."  The lovebirds slept in separate bedrooms.

I haven't been a member here long enough that anyone would miss me if I were gone.  Whenever I'm in civilized territory (with computer access), I try to log on once a day or more, just to read the wonderful posts of the more knowledgeable bush-dwellers.  Sometimes when I can't sleep (like tonight) my visits are late at night -- often I'm the only member around. 

I've hiked and fished and hunted in various places around this great country, but even with all the time I've spent in the woods and hills, I've been more a dabbler than a student -- I haven't devoted the time needed to learn and practice advanced bushlore.  I've read and loved old Nessmuk's book, Woodcraft, off and on -- once all the way through back in the '50s, and re-read several chapters in the '60s...then put it down for 40 years, to gather dust.  Three grandsons appeared, one each year from 2009 to 2011, and as they grow up, I once again find myself reading Nessmuk -- the kids are just about old enough to start appreciating that book, and I hope I can persuade them to read it, discuss it with me when they find terms they don't know, or ideas they find obscure.

All this is to say, I found this forum, and felt like I'd come home.  I'm already old, and I've traveled many trails, but still feel wide-eyed and innocent when I'm in the high country.  I'm just now trying to learn the names and uses of all the plants where I wander most often.

You members that are optimistic about the continued life and enthusiasm embodied in new posts and responses thereto, I hope you're right.  You've all been friendly and welcoming to me, and I've appreciated it.  Responses to my few posts have been quick and kind, whether just an introductory post, or one about an antique method of waterproofing cloth, or one about my stupidity on twice putting myself into positions where my lack of knowledge in how to build a debris-hut put me at risk.

So I'm appreciative, and a bit nostalgic looking back so many decades, and I feel like maybe I belong here.  Don't let this forum slip away -- don't let those echoes die.  I know there are many side-liners, like me, who would miss it a lot.  And like me, given time, some of the newbies may contribute more often.
The older I get, the better I used to be.  --  I thought my Dad coined that...but he stole it from Lee Trevino

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »
When Rodney Crowell was dating Rosanne Cash back in the 80's he accompanied her on a visit to Johnny Cash's home in Jamaica.  I guess he felt the need to assert himself, saying he felt he and Rosanne should sleep in the same room, since everyone there was an adult and he didn't wish to be hypocritical about their relationship.  Johnny stared at him for maybe 30 long seconds, and then rumbled, "son, I don't know you well enough to miss you if you were gone."  The lovebirds slept in separate bedrooms.

I haven't been a member here long enough that anyone would miss me if I were gone.  Whenever I'm in civilized territory (with computer access), I try to log on once a day or more, just to read the wonderful posts of the more knowledgeable bush-dwellers.  Sometimes when I can't sleep (like tonight) my visits are late at night -- often I'm the only member around. 

I've hiked and fished and hunted in various places around this great country, but even with all the time I've spent in the woods and hills, I've been more a dabbler than a student -- I haven't devoted the time needed to learn and practice advanced bushlore.  I've read and loved old Nessmuk's book, Woodcraft, off and on -- once all the way through back in the '50s, and re-read several chapters in the '60s...then put it down for 40 years, to gather dust.  Three grandsons appeared, one each year from 2009 to 2011, and as they grow up, I once again find myself reading Nessmuk -- the kids are just about old enough to start appreciating that book, and I hope I can persuade them to read it, discuss it with me when they find terms they don't know, or ideas they find obscure.

All this is to say, I found this forum, and felt like I'd come home.  I'm already old, and I've traveled many trails, but still feel wide-eyed and innocent when I'm in the high country.  I'm just now trying to learn the names and uses of all the plants where I wander most often.

You members that are optimistic about the continued life and enthusiasm embodied in new posts and responses thereto, I hope you're right.  You've all been friendly and welcoming to me, and I've appreciated it.  Responses to my few posts have been quick and kind, whether just an introductory post, or one about an antique method of waterproofing cloth, or one about my stupidity on twice putting myself into positions where my lack of knowledge in how to build a debris-hut put me at risk.

So I'm appreciative, and a bit nostalgic looking back so many decades, and I feel like maybe I belong here.  Don't let this forum slip away -- don't let those echoes die.  I know there are many side-liners, like me, who would miss it a lot.  And like me, given time, some of the newbies may contribute more often.

Great post,  thanks for contributing,  hopefully you'll find the time and the interest to share more of yourself with this forum in the future.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 08:34:39 PM »

Been another good few hours of interesting and fun discussion here today,  Kudos to those who participated, let's do it again soon.