Author Topic: can you get the special SPAM where you are?  (Read 210 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
can you get the special SPAM where you are?
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:52:19 AM »
there are some types of SPAM that are sold only in certian parts of the country.
i had to order for the hormel company here in MN to buy them.
my question is which areas of the country do you find.
chorizo, tocino, teriaki flavor, and portagee sausage,
our fourm family comes from all points of the compass.
so who has seen these flavors in there neck of the woods?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: can you get the special SPAM where you are?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »
They have some gross flavors around central FL.  One of the Kracaneuners never heard of it so someone fried some plain up.  He fell in love and bought all kinds for the next camp.  The BBQ was particularly nasty and I stick to the original fried crispy.  Then double my blood pressure meds.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 06:21:30 AM »
max they say petting the dog or cat for 10,minutes is good to lower
the pulse rate anyway by ten points. just eat with grits or rice.
yeah that's the ticket

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »
I prefer my cat with macaroni, but that may be a regional thing, too. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
I thought it was best with peppers, onions, and some broccoli. Cat, not the spam unless there are eggs involved then yeah!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »
We always buy the 'Lite' version of Spam.....less salt & fat, but it seems to me that it tastes more like the old 50s version of regular Spam used to taste.  As far as the more exotic flavors go, about all I've norticed on the grocery store shelves are the bacon-flavored & jalapeno. :coffee:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
  Here in my area the big chains carry most flavors of Spam,  I tried several of the different flavors and in my opinion the difference in flavors is so subtle that they all really taste like original spam, I'm one of those guys that when they find something that works they usually stick with it,  when I buy Spam I generally choose either the original or the Bacon, about the only one I don't care all that much for is the BBQ flavor, I find it a bit too sweet.
  I find it funny the food police find Spam revolting,  Spam was always a staple in our house growing up, and still is, allot of folks just use it for camp food because it keeps well,  I have often for breakfast and in sandwiches,  I'm told it will clog my arteries and give me Colon cancer among other dastardly illnesses,  well it's had near 75 years in which to do it and I'm still kicking.
  I've got one friend who's always telling me I ought to eat more healthy,  give up dairy,  I should drink Whey milk and eat more Tofu he says,  yet he's the one always complaining about stomach problems and feeling schitty,  maybe he needs more Tofu and Whey milk ? 
  We always keep a few cans of Spam and a few cans of ham and chicken in the emergency pantry and a few cans of Spam in our daily use pantry and swap them out regularly,  good stuff in my book.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
  Here in my area the big chains carry most flavors of Spam,  I tried several of the different flavors and in my opinion the difference in flavors is so subtle that they all really taste like original spam, I'm one of those guys that when they find something that works they usually stick with it,  when I buy Spam I generally choose either the original or the Bacon, about the only one I don't care all that much for is the BBQ flavor, I find it a bit too sweet.
  I find it funny the food police find Spam revolting,  Spam was always a staple in our house growing up, and still is, allot of folks just use it for camp food because it keeps well,  I have often for breakfast and in sandwiches,  I'm told it will clog my arteries and give me Colon cancer among other dastardly illnesses,  well it's had near 75 years in which to do it and I'm still kicking.
  I've got one friend who's always telling me I ought to eat more healthy,  give up dairy,  I should drink Whey milk and eat more Tofu he says,  yet he's the one always complaining about stomach problems and feeling schitty,  maybe he needs more Tofu and Whey milk ? 
  We always keep a few cans of Spam and a few cans of ham and chicken in the emergency pantry and a few cans of Spam in our daily use pantry and swap them out regularly,  good stuff in my book.

We eat the original fried......and keep some around.
Not real high of the favorite food list.

Haven't really seen all the new flavors...nor am really looking  for them.

As far as heating healthy........
Moderation is the key.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »
well sadly spam only comes 12,cans to a flat
and my special spam hoarde is running low.
fed-ex delivers next day from the plant in austin,mn.

so tonite it'l be adobo flavored spam musubi.
i got the recipie off the spam website.
adobo is origanally from spain,
but is very popular in the philipines and hawaii.
but sadly i have no takuwan to cap off the ends of the musubi. :(

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »

We eat the original fried......and keep some around.
Not real high of the favorite food list.

Haven't really seen all the new flavors...nor am really looking  for them.

As far as heating healthy........
Moderation is the key.

Some times it's not the taste,  back a few years ago one of my son's came over for his usual Saturday morning visit,  he lives right next door and pops in a few times a week sometimes with his family in tow,  but Saturday mornings it's usually just him and I for a couple of hours,  Mom is a night person and usually gets up around mid morning.
 Any how, this one Saturday he was in a remembering mood,  and for no reason that either of us know, he told me that lately he'd been thinking about all the family camping and fishing trips we had enjoyed so much when they were growing up,  he said his thoughts of those times past were so vivid in his mind that he could actually remember the smell and taste of the Spam and eggs that I made for breakfast most days on those trips.
 I said he used to love the meal times spent in the woods with the family and the great food that we shared,  that puffed up my chest some,  then he said "I don't even know if they make Spam any more",  I asked if he'd had breakfast and he said no just a coffee, I told him to sit tight that I was just about to make a bit for myself.
 In the kitchen I got the old Wagner skillet heated up and dropped in four eggs and put a couple of toasts in the toaster and sliced a couple of slabs of meat,  as soon as the eggs were nicely done over easy a put a small pat of butter in the skillet a quick fried the meat.
 We eat on TV tables usually for breakfast and lunch,  so I poured him another coffee and set that plate of eggs, toast, and Spam down in front of him and his face lit up with the biggest smile that I've seen on his face in allot of years,  it wasn't that he especially loved Spam,  but the happy memories that flooded back at the sight, smell, and taste of the Spam,  ever since that day at least once a month on a Saturday morning he'll ask, hey dad, got any Spam ? 

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »

Here in new Mexico, we eat cat with chili.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »

So, I guess that proves that the macaroni is a regional thing then? :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
Not in Italy.   :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 04:50:44 PM »

It makes the best jerky... 8)

As for Spam, it on the grocery list right next to canned spinach...the part of the list I tear off and throw away before entering the store.  I'll eat Deviled Ham,and canned corned beef, but Spam isn't in my food chain. 
I guess I got burned out on it when in Korea. I was living on $50/month, and I held the barracks record for getting 32 slices out of one can.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
Never have been a fan, but a year or two ago I bought a can after reading all the praise for it on here.  Finally cracked it open and fried some up.  The dogs really liked it.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
Hadn?t had Spam in quite a while. Opened up a can last week. What happened to the gravy?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »
We eat it once in awhile, say four or five times a year.  It's good stuff as far as I am concerned, tastes okay, and goes good with a variety of things like eggs, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes and ham gravy.

My folks ate a lot of it when I was growing up.  Never tried the flavored ones yet but might if I see them at the store.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
I kinda' get a craving for it once in a blue moon, but Heather won't eat it at all.  I eat one or two sandwiches and my cravings are more than satiated......that leaves about a half a can to wither, shrink & die a slow death in the back of the fridge.  I've heard that the Brits and Aussies got as tired of their bully beef as our servicemen did of Spam during WWII. :puke:

Hadn?t had Spam in quite a while. Opened up a can last week. What happened to the gravy?

As I recall, the old post-WWII Spam had a yellowish, gelatinous or mucous-like 'juice' that engulfed one end of each can and you opened it with a key that was soldered to the top of the can.  If you slipped or got off-track while winding the razor-sharp ribbon of steel off the side to remove the lid you ran the risk of cutting your finger and thumb to the bone! :chopwood:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
We eat it once in awhile, say four or five times a year.  It's good stuff as far as I am concerned, tastes okay, and goes good with a variety of things like eggs, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes and ham gravy.

My folks ate a lot of it when I was growing up.  Never tried the flavored ones yet but might if I see them at the store.

I use diced up spam in rice dishes,  also in my potato/corn chowder, and in my creamy potato soup,  make a white gravy from butter, flour, 1/2 cup of chicken stock (from bullion), milk,  salt and pepper to taste, while still hot toss in a handful of diced Spam and pour over fresh made biscuits.
 Stick a split English muffin in the toaster, push the button on the toaster to toast only the cut sides of the muffin,  crack an egg in your skillet and fry up a 1/4" thick slice of Spam,  when the egg is cooked almost through top it with a slice of your favorite cheese, then the Spam, and put it all between the two slices of English muffin, better than McDonald's.
 Fry up some home fried potatoes in a medium cast iron skillet, toss in some thin sliced onions and 1/4 cup of fine diced bell peppers and cook until tender, add 1/2 cup of diced Spam,  then add a few well beaten eggs, when the eggs start to cook top it off with American or Cheddar cheese, cover and remove from the heat, let it stand covered for about 10 minutes to let the eggs finish cooking, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
 When I make this I like to kick it up a bit with a dashes of Cholula hot sauce.
 Try cutting some fine slivers of Spam and adding them to your next batch of pancake batter,  grill them like usual, top with a little butter and Maple syrup or honey,  YUM.

Comes from allot of years of camping and cooking for the kids,  our gang and sometimes my Mother in law and brother in law,  Mom once told me she mostly wanted to come camping for the food, says she didn't eat that good at home.  Grin.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
We eat quite a few meals like your egg dish with the spam and green peppers, etc.  Good with spam, sausage, bacon, and ham.  Put it in a corn or flour tortilla and it is terrific. 

I just looked in the pantry and there are five cans of Spam.   :)
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:51 AM »
When we first got married we were POOR.  Like pancakes for one Easter dinner.  I knew you could get a lot of taste out of a thin piece of Spam.  Kelly was skeptical.  I almost had her convinced to try it as that smell wafted through the apartment.  Trying to be funny, I joked that sometimes you'll get a pig hair in it and just to pull it out.  Never has she even tasted Spam in 37 years of marriage.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
I just looked in the pantry and there are five cans of Spam.   :)

I just inspected our larder......and we only have 3! :-\