Author Topic: where's the OTZI thread?  (Read 210 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
where's the OTZI thread?
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
being a bushcraft site it would only stand to reason that OTZI would have a thread.
i looked thruout the self made knife section and could'nt find anything, is it somewhere else?
OTZI was a bushcrafter. so help me out here folks ok. i need to channel otzi right now,LOL

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: where's the OTZI thread?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:50:56 PM »
Just go to the search function and type in "Otzi"  You'll get plenty of hits.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
I went there Nuke as I remember a couple of them and nothing shows up.  ????
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
thanks imnukinsc i tryed erlier but typed it in wrong.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »

I made a couple of Otzi knives,  one out of chert with a antler handle, the other one was out of the end of an old Hickory butcher knife I had modded and used a leg bone from a deer for the handle,  I wrapped the transition from blade to handle with artificial sinew.
 They are fun to play with but in my opinion they have very little practical working use over our more contemporary knives.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
I get no hits on Otzi in the search function on the forum.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:01:17 PM »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
Thanks MnS.  Why don't we get a hit on the search function in the upper right of the page?  It is finding today's posts with the use of the word Otzi, but none of these older ones.  Just curious.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »
I watched a video from a guy making his own otzi gear. He theorized that rather than a small knife the tool was part of a fire making kit. I dunno.

I am sorta interested in making something like the goat ham they found in his belly. Ham? It has been determined the meat had been cured.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »
Thanks MnS.  Why don't we get a hit on the search function in the upper right of the page?  It is finding today's posts with the use of the word Otzi, but none of these older ones.  Just curious.

I don't use that Search function, Stan.  The one I use is up towards the top left  --  Home Help Search Profile.......
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:05:15 AM »
I see it now, never paid much attention to it.  No wonder I never found anything.  Thanks.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
  I think it's because of my interest in history,  primitive skills, and period trekking that caught my interest in "The Iceman",  not long after his story was made public I  became fascinated with finding out as much information about Otzi as I could.
  Most people I think really don't understand the scope of a story like Otzi's because the imagination based on our life experience can only take us so far,  but those people today who actually relive history, no matter what period, usually have a deeper understanding of the people, places in history, and culture of individuals and whole societies of people who lived hundreds and thousands of years ago.
  Much has been learned about the man himself from the many artifacts that was found with him, from DNA and other testing,  we now know where he was born,  where he moved to,  we know that he had a trade, that he was a man who commanded respect,  we know allot about the knowledge and skills of the people of his time by the clothing that he wore, by how sophisticated his shoes were constructed,  and by the tools and weapons that he used, while primitive and simple, they were few, well made, and effective.
  We have a pretty good idea of what natural resources he used to clothe and equip himself, and what his diet consisted of,  not only at the time of his death, but what he ate growing up,  we know that he was a very skilled man,  a hunter,  he was a loyal ally and a man to be feared as an enemy.
  We know that he died in a battle against at least three attackers,  that he killed or wounded a few in the fight, that he had an ally with him that was seriously wounded in the fight and that Otzi carried the man over his shoulder to get him to safety,  we know that he didn't die easy,  he was stabbed at least twice with one of his own arrows, the second wound in the shoulder would have been a fatal wound even had he had the benefit of modern medicine and care,  he was also overcome and beaten before and after he died, he received at least one blow to the side of his head which is believed to be the one that caused his death, one thing that has not been mentioned is puzzling,  it's my belief that he was successful in killing or driving away his attackers before dying from his wounds, otherwise they would have stripped him of his tools (especially his axe) and clothing before leaving his body to the elements. 
  Among the things found on his body or near it was his belt that had a built in pocket which contained a few small tools, bits of food, a fire kit, and some medicine to fight off a case of intestinal parasites that were bothering him, he had his copper axe which was extremely well made and finished, his short bladed stone knife, and an antler point and carved wooden dowel used to knap his stone knife and arrow points, he also had a quiver of arrows and an unfinished long bow.
  He had the remains of a backpack which is interesting in that it's believed that the backpack frame served a dual purpose as a pack frame and as snowshoe frames,  the front and back hides that made up the pack could be lashed to the snowshoe frames to make the center body of the snowshoes,  and that a closer inspection of his shoes showed not only that they had an inner netting made of woven grass to act as socks and insulation, but that they were waterproof, and made especially to adapt to the snowshoe frames that served as part of his pack, how cool is that ?
  We know what he had for breakfast on the day he died and also that he had his last meal about two hours before he died,  it was made up of some wild edible plants, some wheat grains probably in the form of bread, and some cured smoked meat similar to bacon made from domesticated goat.
  It's believed that in his later years Otzi kept domesticated goats,  as he had some ailments in the joints of his knees and ankles that are consistent with those suffered by mountain herders today,  also his clothes were made of hides from both wild and domesticated animals,  mostly sheep and goat, but his boot laces were made of the hide of primitive cattle, his hat was made of the hide of a brown bear.
  I find it amazing just how much forensic information and history can be gained through modern technology using a mummy left in the wild for thousands of years and a few artifacts found on or near the body.     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

Stan, I am having the exact opposite issue. It pulled up the original thread and no reference to this one. MnSportsman's method of using Google to search the site will probably give better results. I'm not sure what the search algorithm for the forum software does but I have had to resort to Google to find threads as well from time to time, though usually the search works ok for me.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »
I just typed Otzi in the search function on the left and got your post above as the first one.  Strange it doesn't work for you.
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
I just typed Otzi in the search function on the left and got your post above as the first one.  Strange it doesn't work for you.

Ok, ready for this? I tried it again and it pulled up this thread and not the original one. Then I clicked the "revised search" button on the search results page without changing the search terms from "otzi" and got a combination of results from both threads.

Strange.