Author Topic: feedback needed on gifted knives  (Read 283 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
feedback needed on gifted knives
« on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
some time aqgo i gifted some knives in a GAW
well it's been some time now so i thought i would ask how they did?

do they hold an edge, do they take an edge redily or no?
please let me know if i went wrong somewhere and what i could do
to better them in the future. thank you

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: feedback needed on gifted knives
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
some time aqgo i gifted some knives in a GAW
well it's been some time now so i thought i would ask how they did?

do they hold an edge, do they take an edge redily or no?
please let me know if i went wrong somewhere and what i could do
to better them in the future. thank you

Seems to me that if someone was given a gift they should have given you a thank you note either by mail or post, and if you requested some feed back it would only be good manners to honor your request.

Just saying. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »
Hayshaker, I thanked you for the knife when you sent it.  Since that time it has been in my safe and has seen no use.  I am in the middle of having both knee joints replaced and it will a quite a long time before your knife sees any meaningful use.  When it does I will let you know how it does.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
MOE as far as i remember i was thanked by everyone
what i was wanting ti know is. how did the knivesw hold up.
i know i have a long way to  go. and do i need to start sending out my knives
out for custom heat treat.? or are they working now.?

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
Hayshaker mine is holding up well and I'm really enjoying it.  No issues.  I haven't needed to sharpen it yet as it's holding an edge nicely.  I've used it mainly as a carving knife for wood handle fitting and a utility knife.  I keep it handy next to my work bench and used it to open anything that's needed opening.  I really like the handle shape.  It's quite comfortable for carving and I like the straighter edge design a lot.  I know it was one of your earlier knives but it's been good to me so far.  I've used it on three handles so far and no sharpening has been needed.  I like the rustic look it has with the coloring the wood has taken on.  It's nice but not too nice I'm not using it   :thumbsup:   

Here is a pic when I using it to fit a hatchet handle

Thanks again for your generosity.  I'm happy to be putting the knife to use!  My son Jack gets to hold it when mom's not watching...haha!  So he thinks it's pretty awesome too!

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »
outdoor , thanks so much i forgot who got what,lol
the scales on that one are from antique church pews
i dubbed holyoak. once again thank you and im glad
it's held up for you.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »
MOE as far as i remember i was thanked by everyone
what i was wanting ti know is. how did the knivesw hold up.
i know i have a long way to  go. and do i need to start sending out my knives
out for custom heat treat.? or are they working now.?

Sorry, I misunderstood your post,  just a few days ago I was talking to a friend who is a member on another outdoor forum, he's a rabid fly fisherman and ties his own flies, he had posted a few pictures of his hand tied flies, several people PM'ed him asking if he made some for sale, which he doesn't.
 He was nice enough to mail out a small assortment of his flies to each of the people who had asked, only one sent him a thank you, I guess that's what prompted me to post as I did,  I thought you gifted some people your knives and they never acknowledged them.
  My Bad.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
I have to confess that I 're-gifted' my GAW knife to my wife when she asked me for a heavier knife that she could use in her office for tasks bigger than what her SAK could handle comfortably.  I figured if anyone could give a knife a serious workout it would be Heather! :doh:

Anyway, she has been using it for about a month now and I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that it still resembles the knife that I recieved from you in the mail! ;D   She has mostly been using it for opening & cutting corrugated-cardboard packing boxes into sections that will fit in our recycling tub.  Another 'office chore' included trimming the edge of a piece of 1/4" plywood shelf-divider, so it would fit into a filing cabinet.  The last test she put it through occurred just 2 days ago when she had to replace our old printer that had 'given up the ghost,' but she could not get the old printer's plug out from behind the 4 FULL filing cabinets it sits on.   The obvious solution was to cut the 3/8" cord off flush with the back of the printer and pull it out from the other end where it plugs into the outlet. :P  I was proud of her for remembering how to properly use a knife to baton something where muscle-power alone would not suffice, or maybe she remembers seeing Buck's logo with the knife being batonned through that bolt.....I dun'no. :shrug:

I never got around to sharpening the knife before I gave it to her, but let's just say it needs a 'touch up,' now after a month's-worth of severe testing. :lol:   Nothing 'bad' happened to the edge, like chipping, but it does need a session at the stone.  The edge has rolled slightly in one spot....no doubt brought on by cable-batoning incident.  I tried to straighten it with the polishing steel, but the damage is a little beyond using that method to correct a 'roll-over' that severe.  No big deal, however the rest of the edge came back to 'utility-sharp' quite well.....frankly, I was surprised. :shocked:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:06:09 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
wow cool wolfy just wondering though what would cause the rolling of the blade
the hardening process? what. thank you so much for the feed back.
i must admit i have'nt ran all my knives thru a test of sorts, i have very limited time in life .
heck i'm lucky to be able to make the knives, as of now all my knives are keepers.
but just the same i'll go into the shop tommorw and do the brass rod test and some
batoning. see what happens.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:15:16 PM by hayshaker »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »
It was the thick copper in the printer power cord. It's heavy as most printers are 36 volt. I recon most any blade would roll on a baton like that. If she could have sawed through, it may not have rolled.

Pm coming your way hayshaker.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »
I got your knives and then had the pleasure of moving... Again.... For the second time in less than a year. Gonna have to unpack it and then put her thru the paces...
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »
bighat good to see ya back, been gone awhile.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Always lurking... Just not posting much. If I'm not working, I'm busy working on homestead projects. Need to work on the motivation top share some homestead projects...
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman