Author Topic: Is there any appetite for short stories or other forms of writing?  (Read 64 times)

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • Too soon old, too late smart
Back in college I majored in creative writing (poetry) before I realized I wasn't going to make a living at it, and anyway, I found out I wasn't really a TRUE WRITER.  A true writer can't stop writing any more than I can stop breathing.  And it doesn't really matter if the writing is good or bad, it's just something that has to come out.  About the time I left the Navy and my second son was born, I had this epiphany -- you know, that moment in the movie when French horns make that distant, hollow sound, and haloed angels drift around the room singing Hosannas -- I had a family I couldn't support driving a cab and writing poetry.  I couldn't afford to buy cigarettes and shoes for the kids.  So I quit two things:  smoking and writing.  I took a Civil Service exam, did well, and went to work for the Air Force as an analyst-trainee.  I got good at it, kept getting promotions, and then Boeing made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Then the kids were grown, I was pulling down a good salary, and I had spare time.  So a few years back I thought I'd try my hand at writing again.  I started out to write a short non-fiction piece about my hunting dog, Sophie.  Yeah, right.  If you've noticed anything about my posts, it's that I seldom write ANYthing short.  That story grew, and grew, and over the next ten years it became...well, it was like one of those old Chia Pets, if somebody added Miracle-Gro -- started off as a bust of a man with short green hair, which became an Afro, which turned into a mass of green mulch totally covering the head, flowing across the table and hanging over the edge.  ?Get the flame-thrower, Maggie, it's almost reached the floor!?

That "short piece" wound up being 36 pages, single-space.  I divided it up into six ?chapters?, to reduce readers' shock.  It turned out to be good.  So I've been told.

A bit later I wrote a two-part fishing short story, each part about a page and a half.  A couple of critics told me Part I was good, and stood alone just fine, so I should lose Part II.  Yeah...maybe.

Anyway, I'm not ashamed of either work, and if anyone would like to read them, I'd be happy to post them.  As far as Sophie's Story goes, I guess I'd post chapter 1, and would add other chapters if anyone were interested.

So, assuming there is some interest, in which forum would I post them?
The older I get, the better I used to be.  --  I thought my Dad coined that...but he stole it from Lee Trevino

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Is there any appetite for short stories or other forms of writing?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
General discussion or Woodcrafts Carving and art; either would work.  There are some posts there dealing with art and I would think short stories are art.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
YEAH.....tell me a story!  :thumbsup:    I could tell you were a good writer from your first couple of posts......I say, DO IT!   :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • Too soon old, too late smart
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »
Stan, Wolfy -- I see you're both "Supporting Members", and that's what you do.  Thanks for the support.  I think I'll stick with this board, General Discussion, since it covers "discussion of just about anything".  It would be a little presumptuous for me to classify my own writing as art.

I'll start a new topic, "Sophie's Story", and post chapter 1.  We'll see where it goes from there.
The older I get, the better I used to be.  --  I thought my Dad coined that...but he stole it from Lee Trevino

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
General discussion or Woodcrafts Carving and art; either would work.  There are some posts there dealing with art and I would think short stories are art.

Yep, either would be fine.