Author Topic: saving a cast iron pan  (Read 233 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
saving a cast iron pan
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
right now i have a old griswald 9'in frying pan
i dug out of the basement, been there a looong time
anyhow i'm using the random orbital sander to clean it.
the rest will have to be done by hand sanding.
the wagner 10'in&12'in i used to have many moons ago my sister filtched.
said i did'nt need so many pans. really.
i reall want another 10'in wagner like I used to have.
anyhow i should have this puppy up'an going in a few days.
so what are your favorite fry pans cast iron of course.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: saving a cast iron pan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:33:58 PM »
I have a chicken fryer that is pretty handy.  Big pan for frying anything and a lid than attaches with a couple of tabs that fit into slots.  It was made by Griswold. 

Also have a small Griswold that is fine for cooking two eggs which is what I frequently have for breakfast along with toasted bread. 

All the rest we have get some use.  The griddle and a couple of the medium sized pans mostly. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »
Griswold never made a 9 inch frying pan.  They did, however, make a #9 pan.  Using an orbital sander, or any other kind of sander on an old, possibly collectable Griswold or any of the other collectable cast iron is pretty much considered sacrilegious in the cast iron community.  There are better ways to clean up old cast iron without ruining its value, but sanding it or throwing it in a fire are neither of them.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
right now i have a old griswald 9'in frying pan
i dug out of the basement, been there a looong time
anyhow i'm using the random orbital sander to clean it.
the rest will have to be done by hand sanding.
the wagner 10'in&12'in i used to have many moons ago my sister filtched.
said i did'nt need so many pans. really.
i reall want another 10'in wagner like I used to have.
anyhow i should have this puppy up'an going in a few days.
so what are your favorite fry pans cast iron of course.

Next time, don't do that, unless it's pitted too badly to worry about damaging it.

If you have an electric stove put the pan in it on the middle rack,  close the door and hit the self clean function, that will blast the pan with 800 plus degrees F which will burn off any old seasoning and food particulates, and do a number on caked up surface rust.
  Once the oven is done the cycle and shuts down don't open the door, just let the pan stay in the oven until the oven and pan are cool to the touch,  when that's done usually a good scrubbing with dish soap and steel wool or a brass scouring pad will get rid of the residue and left over surface rust.
  I know quite a few people who have ruined the finish on Griswold and old Wagner cast iron cookware by using power tools or heavy grit sand papers to clean them up,  I have one 12" Griswold Dutch Oven that was hung by a chain on a tripod out doors, filled with dirt, and served as a flower pot, for several years until I rescued it, it was caked with rust, the inside was rusted and pitted,  it really looked beyond saving.
  I took it home and washed it off with hot water and Tide laundry soap,  then let it dry and built a fire in the backyard fire pit,  when I got a good bed of coals going I placed the Dutch Oven close to the fire to warm for about half an hour, then placed it in the fire pit and fed the fire with more hardwood, when the pot was glowing cherry red I let the fire burn itself out and went to bed, the next morning it was cold,  I brushed it off with a steel brush and washed it out with steel wool and dish soap the outside and inside walls of the pot and outside bottom were in very nice condition, the inside bottom finish of the pot was pretty badly pitted, I'd had have to grind off an 1/8" or more of the bottom to get past some of the pits.
Instead, I seasoned the pot and lid (which fortunately was found in a shed on the property in great condition), and I used it to slow roast a pork butt for pulled pork, I lined the Griswold with HD aluminum foil, gave it a spray of Pam and placed the seasoned pork roast in and put the lid on, then 16 hours @ 225*F. and we have a great juicy, tender, garlicy, fall apart roast pork and clean up was a breeze.
 Over time I used the pitted vintage Dutch Oven for all manner of great meats, beans, chili's, and baked breads, it's always worked fine and cleaned up great, the pitting in the bottom never proved to be a problem after a good seasoning was baked in and maintained.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
 the cast iron community? :tent: that's hilarious

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »

You are obviously not a member of it.  Go back to smoking your dope and making idiotic, free association thinking posts that don't make any ing sense.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

You are obviously not a member of it.  Go back to smoking your dope and making idiotic, free association thinking posts that don't make any ing sense.

ROTFLMAO !!!!

Offline Pete Bog

• Mill File
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Was that an Echo in the hall I heard?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
you mean the skillets ? known for being shallow?

get triggered much? lol

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
Moe, as you said, pits ain't that big of a deal when the iron is seasoned well.  I have an old 3-legged & round-bottomed bean pot that was so badly pitted I was afraid it would leak if I added anything too 'liquidy' to it, but after a couple of good seasoning sessions and using it to render beef tallow several times for a bullet-lube recipe I like, it works just as well as any of my nicer cast iron pieces.   Nothing ever sticks in those wide, shallow pits like I assumed it would, either.  If you take a look at some of the REALLY early cast iron pieces, it becomes evident that the old sand-castings were quite rough from day one.  No sanding required......seaso n them well and USE them! :stir:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:59:02 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:56:29 PM »
Moe, as you said, pits ain?t that big of a deal when the iron is seasoned well.  I have an old 3-legged & round-bottomed bean pot that was so badly pitted I was afraid it would leak if I added anything too 'liquidy' to it, but after a couple of good seasoning sessions and using it to render beef tallow several times for a bullet-lube recipe I like, it works just as well as any of my nicer cast iron pieces.   Nothing ever sticks in those wide, shallow pits like I assumed it would, either.  If you take a look at some of the REALLY early cast iron pieces, it becomes evident that the old sand-castings were quite rough from day one.  No sanding required......seaso n them well and USE them! :stir:

You Da Man Wolfy . two thumbs up my friend.

I sure wish I could get my spell check and smileys back.  (mad)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »
The spelchek I don't use so much, but I use the 'smileys' ALLOT! :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »

So did I when I had it,  when we upgraded to Windows 10 they went away, but only on this forum, it didn't bother any other,  I talked to PW, He seems to think it's on my end.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »

So did I when I had it,  when we upgraded to Windows 10 they went away, but only on this forum, it didn't bother any other,  I talked to PW, He seems to think it's on my end.
The 'smilies' show up in a pop-up window. They are probably blocked by your browser.  Which browser are you using? I might be able to get you a road map on how to allow pop-ups on this website.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »

ROTFLMAO !!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hail:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
I just recently found a 6" skillet at a charity thrift store and got it for $.50.
Took it home, scoured it with an SOS pad, and oiled and ran it through the oven at 400 deg a few times. Not perfect, but good.
I like the idea of using the self cleaning function on the oven and maybe I'll try that to see if I can strip it down fully and start over.

A guy I'm a Venturer Scout Leader with, uses a small cast iron frying pan at base camp because he has celiac disease. 
I'm going to see it he would like to have the skillet. It's perfect for a single egg and that's mostly what he uses the frying pan for.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 08:05:18 PM »

The 'smilies' show up in a pop-up window. They are probably blocked by your browser.  Which browser are you using? I might be able to get you a road map on how to allow pop-ups on this website.

I lost spell check and  the emoticons, if I click on spell check it outlines the box in red but doesn't go further, same thing with the smileys, the pop up window appears in color with all the smileys like normal, but if I click on one nothing happens,  we're using Bing if that helps.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »

I did that for awhile. It was drinking. When I got tired of it I stopped. That was 6 months ago. So what. maybe 10, 20, 30 posts from the whole time ive been here. You have to accept some responsibility in many cases because you are prejudiced by a narrow field of information. And likely never go to investigate what is being said. But you expected the OP in this thread to energize from your brief, ridiculous comments and discover the true way of cast iron preservation/ rather than taking the time like Moe did to explain a slightly better way. you are one of the few who goes about with censored words on this board insulting people. Mostly me, but you have been short and snarky with new low post count members- like an ass.  I guess it entertains others and they like you for that when directed at me. I guess. I usually have a decent recollection of what others have said here. Trying very hard to remember the last time anything you said was genuinely directed at helping someone.   

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 11:28:02 PM »
well here's a little sit rep on the pan, it is a no#9
and i dont plan on selling it it is for use,
as for the condition there was no greese build up only rust,
so far it's cleaning up quite nicely. mabey i'll post a photo when it's finished.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
well upon cleaning the bottom of the pan i'd found the numbers 710 with a E underneath
in the center, erie,PA beneath the griswold logo .and the NO9 near the edge.
that's about it. it's almost ready to use.

Offline Apercula

• Mill File+
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »
well upon cleaning the bottom of the pan i'd found the numbers 710 with a E underneath
in the center, erie,PA beneath the griswold logo .and the NO9 near the edge.
that's about it. it's almost ready to use.

This page http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php has identifying marks that can help you get an approximate age. The Griswold section is about half way down the page. I have a Griswold #3 large block logo from 1920-1940 era and a Wagner arc logo #6 from 1891-1910 era.