Author Topic: BAKED MAC & CHEESE  (Read 437 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
BAKED MAC & CHEESE
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
Mom used to always bake her mac & cheese in the oven in a cast iron pan, but I can't find her recipe in the recipe box I inherited. :shrug:     She probably didn't even have one, but I wish I could replicate it right NOW! :drool:    I'll bet a dollar to a dog turd she used the only cheese I ever knew existed as a kid on the farm.......Velveeta . :lol:

I thought I would check with all of the gourmands here & see if any of you guys have a favorite recipe you'd be willing to share? :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: BAKED MAC & CHEESE
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
My mother made great macaroni and cheese but she didn't keep a recipe card on it as far as I know.  I miss it.  This recipe is close to what I remember but we have only made it a couple of times. Use any cheese you want.  Sharp cheddar, Velveeta, Monterrey Jack, or Colby (or a mix of two) would all work.  I like Velveeta so we used that.  My wife and I think my mother probably used Velveeta but really don't know.

1 8oz package of uncooked elbow macaroni 
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp flour
2-1/2 tbsp butter
1-3/4 cup milk
1/3 c. bread crumbs
8 oz. Velveeta, cubed

Cook the macaroni and drain.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and add milk.  Cook this, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add the salt and pepper and cheese, keep stirring until cheese is melted. Add macaroni to a buttered casserole dish or cast iron pan and put the melted cheese over the macaroni.  Stir it in a bit.
Sprinkle the bread crumbs mixed with 1 tbsp. melted butter. Sprinkle over the mixture.

Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.  I like the top to be browned a bit.

You can leave the bread crumbs off if you want.

You can add cubed ham, Spam, or sausage to this if it is to be a main dish.  I have not done that.  My wife read this recipe and made me change it to 8 oz of elbow macaroni.

As an aside to mac and cheese my mother made a lot of stuff that I loved to eat but have never been able to duplicate.  Any of you whose mother is still around better get a recipe for all those dishes you liked or you will spend whatever old age years you are given wishing you would have.  I miss scalloped potatoes, potato soup, vegetable beef soup, slum gullion, and how she fried chicken.   :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:48:13 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
 Baked Mac & Cheese is a favorite in our house,  I keep it as simple as possible, no Bacon or ham, no corn or other veggies, and NO Velveeta imitation plastic cheese.

I think I've mentioned this before, it's a curse I have to endure every time someone asks me for my recipe for anything I make,  I have none, it's all in my head, all done by taste and what I happen to have in the fridge and the pantry that's handy,  I grew up learning to cook with my parents and grand parents,  they tempered what they learned from their folks with what they could get in the way of ingredients during the great depression and rationing books of WW-2 and from their own victory garden, a large Chicken coupe and a few farm animals,  no formal cooking education in this family.
 I can however tell you how I make it and what ingredients I use, specific measures you'll have to work out for yourself unless noted.
 I start out cooking a pound of Elbow pasta until it's just shy of ready, drain, rinse, and set aside.
 Next, I use the same pot on medium heat and throw in a couple of pats of butter, then some finely chopped onions and let them sweat until they start to brown.
 Add about three more pats of butter and melt, when melted add a few Tablespoons of flour and make a roux, cook the roux for a few minutes to get rid of the starchy taste.
 To the roux add a cup full of chicken stock (from bullion is ok) and blend with the roux, a little salt and pepper, some dried mustard, and a dash of cayenne pepper wouldn't hurt at this point.
 With the roux, stock, and seasonings well blended it time to add the milk or cream which ever you prefer, bring the sauce to a simmer and taste it for seasonings, that done it's time for the cheese.
 I use a blend of white and orange sharp Cheddar and mix in some Jack cheese,  you can use processed grated cheese if you like, but know that it contains cornstarch to keep it from sticking together in the bag, and it will change the taste of your Mac & Cheese a little,  if I have the time I'd rather grate my own from block cheese.
 Or you can buy block cheese and cube it into 1/2" dice and melt that in your sauce,  either works fine,  now, you don't want your sauce to be too thick, if it barely coats a spoon it's good,  and you'll want more cheese sauce than you might think, so make plenty.
 When you think the sauce is ready pour it over the pasta in a baking dish or pan big enough that the sauce covers the pasta completely,  have your oven pre heated to 350 F.,  sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers mixed with grated cheese over the top and sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the topping,  place the baking pan in the oven and turn it down to 325 F., bake until heated through and bubbling, about 40 minutes.

Hope you like it as much as we do.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
Thanks for the recipes & possibilities, gentlemen! :cheers:    The more I think about it, I can almost guarantee that Mom used Velveeta cheese in her M&C since she was a depression-era kid and Grandma Christopherson most likely taught Mom how to make it.   I never remember any bread crumbs being sprinkled on it, but it was kind of brown, leathery and crisp on the top when she served it.  I may be waxing nostalgic, but that seemed like the REALLY GOOD part of what I remember that made it so special! :drool:

To be honest, I think Velveeta gets kind of a bum rap in today's society where we have so many choices in the cheese aisle of most of the bigger supermarkets.  I remember Tom Brokaw telling a story on himself one time on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.....it seems Tom was dining with some notable celebrities-of-the-day and discovered one new dish that he found particularly toothsome.  He summoned their waiter to the table and asked him to compliment the Chef on the mysterious, but absolutely delicious secret ingredient he had used in the dish he was enjoying.......you guessed it......VELVEETA!  :-[  :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:23:16 PM by wolfy »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »
Thanks for the recipes & possibilities, gentlemen! :cheers:    The more I think about it, I can almost guarantee that Mom used Velveeta cheese in her M&C since she was a depression-era kid and Grandma Christherson most likely taught Mom how to make it.   I never remember any bread crumbs being sprinkled on it, but it was kind of brown, leathery and crisp on the top when she served it.  I may be waxing nostalgic, but that seemed like the REALLY GOOD part of it that I remember. :drool:

To be honest, I think Velveeta gets kind of a bum rap in today's society where we have so many choices in the cheese aisle of most of the bigger supermarkets.  I remember Tom Brokaw telling a story on himself one time on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.....it seems Tom was dining with some notable celebrities-of-the-day and discovered one new dish that he found particularly toothsome.  He summoned their waiter to the table and asked to compliment the Chef on the mysterious, but absolutely delicious secret ingredient he had used in the dish he was enjoying.......you guessed it......VELVEETA!  :-[  :rofl:

I really thought you wanted a serious Mac & Cheese recipe,  had I known that you didn't I'd have just suggested you boil some water and dump in a blue and yellow box of Kraft Mac & Cheese,  I think they use dried, ground up, and colored Velveeta to make that crap,  but hey,  my grandkids like it,  but that's what they get at home anyway.
 A couple of weeks ago my granddaughter and daughter in law were over visiting as they do several times a week, as per her usual my grand daughter pulled up a coffee table and plopped her homework onto it, then headed for the kitchen for a can of coke and what ever leftovers are still on the stove or in the fridge, Her mom asked Why are you always hungry when you visit Mem & Pep,  her answer,  "Because their food tastes good".

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Usually, I take you semi-seriously, but this time you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about :P......Kraft blue-box Mac & cheese tastes NOTHING like made-from-scratch M&C made with good old Velveeta and home-baked to golden perfection! :stir:

As I recall, you think Ramen noodles are tasty, too! :puke: :rofl:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
That is a $^%&^* fact wolfy.  Moe has apparently never had good velveeta mac and cheese made the right way and baked with a toothy crust.  I grew up on that stuff and there was never any left for another meal.

Cheese available today is a far cry from the cheese made fifty years ago.  However, Velveeta still tastes as good as it did when I was a kid.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »
in rural areas women who attended church regular
would put thier recipies in the church cookbook.
and would have thier name below or above the recipie.
that reicpie would be seen often at church pot lucks.
hope that helps.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
1958 Velveeta Commercial:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »
hope that helps.

That is right Hayshaker.  My wife has a lot of those kind of cookbooks.  Our church, the NE Wyoming Cattlewomen's Assoc, a small town in eastern Colorado, and a small town in NE Wyoming, and a couple of others.  Oddly enough out of all of them there is only one recipe for macaroni and cheese.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
Usually, I take you semi-seriously, but this time you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about :P......Kraft blue-box Mac & cheese tastes NOTHING like made-from-scratch M&C made with good old Velveeta and home-baked to golden perfection! :stir:

Well OK then, lesson learned,  I won't do that again.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
hope that helps.
That reminds me.....and I haven't looked yet, but there was a fund-raising effort afoot some few decades back in our little community to raise funds for a Carnegie Library (2nd to the last one built) renovation and expansion.  The local historical society got the idea of producing a community cookbook before the good old octogenarian pioneer women of the town took all of those great old 'made-from-scratch' recipes along with them to the happy hunting grounds.  It was a HUGE success because most of those old girls wanted their long-kept secrets passed on to the whippersnappers that only knew how to make a casserole that included a can of Campbell's Cream of Celery soup or the much more exotic Cream of Mushroom Soup.....AND they wanted their names immortalized in the book at the bottoms of all those recipes!  Those old gals are now long gone and those old, stained, out-of-print, red cookbooks are going for up to $50 apiece at local auctions!  I'd bet there are several good Baked Velveeta & Macaroni recipes in there......I will investigate further. 8)

BTW....thanks to YellowYak for that 1958 b&w TV commercial espousing Velveeta's nutritional superiority. ;D       Heather said she even remembers that ad......and it looks so much more appetizing in black and white! :lol:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:31:40 PM by wolfy »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 09:51:32 PM »
The DW won't allow Velveeta in the house. Nor a microwave oven.  :-\  But a few cubes of Velveeta and a can of dice tomatoes with peppers in a microwave makes a heck of a spicy cheese dip.

Anyway, I'm not the cook in the house, but I can tell you what goes into our baked mac & cheese, just not how much. It's all made from scratch.

Elbow macaroni (any brand)
Grated Sharp cheddar cheese
Panko (Oriental bread crumbs)

Cook the macaroni
Make a cheese sauce with a butter & flour rue, added milk, then the cheese (As Moe so adequately described)
Place macaroni in a casserole dish, pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni, and top with more grated cheddar and a 1/4" topping of panko.
Bake @ 350 deg until the sauce is bubbly and the crumb topping is lightly browned.

You can add your spices of choice to the cheese sauce when preparing it.

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »
 For all you less sophisticated Baked Mac & Cheese lovers out there,

Is Velveeta processed cheese actually Cheese ??? ?  (from the Organic Authority Labs).

While Kraft Velveeta used to contain some cheese back in the first half of the 20th. century, Kraft changed the way it manufactured Velveeta in order to cut costs and increase shelf life,  since the later half of the 1900's Velveeta no longer contains real cheese in it's list of ingredients, it does however include a small amount of cheese culture in order to still be able to include the word cheese on it's packaging.

Velveeta is made from milk, water, Whey, milk protein concentrate, milk fat, Whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, 2% salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, asorbic acid, Sodium citrate, sodium alginate, enzymes, apocaro tenal,  annatto,  and cheese culture, but unfortunately, no real cheese.

Stick that in your bib overalls farmer brown.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
The DW won't allow Velveeta in the house. Nor a microwave oven.  :-\  But a few cubes of Velveeta and a can of dice tomatoes with peppers in a microwave makes a heck of a spicy cheese dip.

Anyway, I'm not the cook in the house, but I can tell you what goes into our baked mac & cheese, just not how much. It's all made from scratch.

Elbow macaroni (any brand)
Grated Sharp cheddar cheese
Panko (Oriental bread crumbs)

Cook the macaroni
Make a cheese sauce with a butter & flour rue, added milk, then the cheese (As Moe so adequately described)
Place macaroni in a casserole dish, pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni, and top with more grated cheddar and a 1/4" topping of panko.
Bake @ 350 deg until the sauce is bubbly and the crumb topping is lightly browned.

You can add your spices of choice to the cheese sauce when preparing it.

Your wife is a smart woman when it comes to food,  appliances, not so much.  (grin)

While I don't cook in my micro wave (other than baked potatoes) it is a real time saver in the kitchen for heating foods, steaming veggies,  and reheating cooled off cups of coffee.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »

LOL, all this from a guy who likes rotten fish.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
I have been experimenting with several different mac and cheese recipes in recent years. A favorite in my house is the one for "hot dog" mac and cheese by Rachel Ray. it calls for half a beer, a diced onion, some sliced up hot dogs, and a bit of mustard and ketchup. You make a very light roux with flour and butter, then saute the onions in it, add half a beer, and the cheese sauce goes in the pan made from grated cheese, milk, salt and pepper, a little mustard and ketchup, etc.

The recipes my family used to use for Thanksgiving mac and cheese casserole had an egg in it. This was scrambled and added to the sauce, and it helps the sauce "clot" and makes the mac and cheese a little thicker and makes these fluffy, cheesy curds inside while allowing for a brown, crusty cheesy top. I sometimes run the broiler to make the top brown better.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
For all you less sophisticated Baked Mac & Cheese lovers out there,

Is Velveeta processed cheese actually Cheese ??? ?  (from the Organic Authority Labs).

While Kraft Velveeta used to contain some cheese back in the first half of the 20th. century, Kraft changed the way it manufactured Velveeta in order to cut costs and increase shelf life,  since the later half of the 1900's Velveeta no longer contains real cheese in it's list of ingredients, it does however include a small amount of cheese culture in order to still be able to include the word cheese on it's packaging.

Velveeta is made from milk, water, Whey, milk protein concentrate, milk fat, Whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, 2% salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, asorbic acid, Sodium citrate, sodium alginate, enzymes, apocaro tenal,  annatto,  and cheese culture, but unfortunately, no real cheese.

Stick that in your bib overalls farmer brown.

Haha. The only thing that list of ingredients is missing is rennet for making cheese.  Does that mean Velveeta turns into cheese, once it's consumed? 
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
Of all the I've put into my body, fake cheese is the least of my worries.  I like the gooey Kraft Velveeta.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
 OP,

I doubt that Velveeta ever becomes real cheese no matter what stage it's in,  in order to become real cheese it has to have the natural ingredients in it to begin with.

It' been a long time since I made cheese, one of my son's and I became interested in making a form of Farmer's cheese using raw milk,  I don't remember the whole recipe, rennet was in it, but the instructions suggested that white vinegar could be substituted for the rennet and it worked well enough that it was all we ever used.
  I may miss something, as I remember we had to bring the milk to a light simmer, add the vinegar and stir it until it separated, strain the clotted milk through cheese cloth,  then twist the ball of "cheese" in the cloth until most of the liquid was released, at that point we could add salt and what ever other seasonings to it that we wanted,  some included garlic, chives, onion, and dill, not all together of course, at that point the cheese cloth wrapped ball was placed in the fridge in a colander with a weight on top of it and let stand overnight or for a couple of days,  it made a really good spread to use on crackers or dried toast points.

In an earlier post I called Velveeta "plastic imitation cheese",  I don't think I was too far off,  it's mostly a blend of chemicals, enzymes, different phosphates, and preservatives, mixed with some milk byproducts and water, then pressed into a block resembling cheese,  It may look the part, but in my opinion it's neither yummy, healthy, or cheese.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Of all the I've put into my body, fake cheese is the least of my worries.  I like the gooey Kraft Velveeta.

LOL, different strokes for different folks Max,  at my age I worry a little more about what I put into my body than I used to,  plus, I think life is too short to have to settle for imitations when you can get the real thing just as easily and affordably at the same counter display as the schitty fake stuff.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
The necessity or desire for using Velveeta as a vital ingredient in some recipes like baked M&C, queso-dips or a good old AMERICAN cheeseburger seems to be escaping or flying far above the heads of some of my highly esteemed colleagues. :shrug:     Ever hear of the Velveeta CHEESEPOCALYPSE of a few years back?   As some of you surely know, there are NO acceptable substitutes for the vital properties of some ingredients in certain recipes and Velveeta just happens to be one of them.  Cheeseburgers, Super Bowl Sunday queso-dip and Mom's Baked M&C are three glaring examples in which there are NO ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUTES....that this missive from Smithsoniam Magazine so clearly substantiates:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/there-is-no-shortage-history-when-it-comes-velveeta-180949312/?no-ist

One fact that cannot be denied......IT IS AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE! :banana:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »

LOL, different strokes for different folks Max,  at my age I worry a little more about what I put into my body than I used to,  plus, I think life is too short to have to settle for imitations when you can get the real thing just as easily and affordably at the same counter display as the schitty fake stuff.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Yeah, Moe.....you're a real health nut! :doh: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/food-and-health/ramen-noodles/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »

I assume you are referring to dried cod?   Perhaps you would be interested enough to educate yourself in its history, worldwide popularity and vital importance in the early exploration of planet earth?   This book is fascinating and since you live in Massachusetts, vital to your understanding of the cod-fishing industry versus the ramen noodle industry! :lol:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64895.Cod

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
The necessity or desire for using Velveeta as a vital ingredient in some recipes like baked M&C, queso-dips or a good old AMERICAN cheeseburger seems to be escaping or flying far above the heads of some of my highly esteemed colleagues. :shrug:     Ever hear of the Velveeta CHEESEPOCALYPSE of a few years back?   As some of you surely know, there are NO acceptable substitutes for the vital properties of some ingredients in certain recipes and Velveeta just happens to be one of them.  Cheeseburgers, Super Bowl Sunday queso-dip and Mom's Baked M&C are three glaring examples in which there are NO ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUTES....that this missive from Smithsoniam Magazine so clearly substantiates:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/there-is-no-shortage-history-when-it-comes-velveeta-180949312/?no-ist

One fact that cannot be denied......IT IS AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE! :banana:

Wrong again, It's not American anymore than Honda or Toyota, it's a construct of a Swiss cheese maker,  fact one.
  Fact two is, no matter what you use it for it's still not cheese,  and it's still a clone of something that doesn't exist anymore of something your dear mother used to use when it was a cheese product,  and it doesn't taste like what your mother used to make because it not the same product,  it a fake,  just because you put it in your mouth doesn't make it real food, and it's not cheese.
  I'll remind you of the incident when you argued with someone that a certain knot was not a real knot,  well Velveeta is not real cheese, same difference.
  Also, while some unknowing or uncaring people may be using the fake schitt thinking it's the same stuff their mothers used to feed them, it's not, BTW,  I've never heard or seen anyone put it on a burger and call it a cheese burger,  I'm not arguing that it's not done occasionally by some one that doesn't know any better, I'm saying it's not a common practice,  at least not in civilized circles.
  But hey, there's no accounting for taste and it is a free country,  if you don't mind eating fake food sold to you by a company that's lying to you in it's ads and packaging, it's your call my friend,  personally I stick with the real thing.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »

I assume you are referring to dried cod?   Perhaps you would be interested enough to educate yourself in its history, worldwide popularity and vital importance in the early exploration of planet earth?   This book is fascinating and since you live in Massachusetts, vital to your understanding of the cod-fishing industry versus the ramen noodle industry! :lol:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64895.Cod

Actually I know all about dried cod, and I also know not to marinate it in lye until it no longer resembles, tastes, or smells like real fish,  the Vietnamese have a similar recipe, but they break it down and get the rotten taste and smell from burying it in a crock in the ground to ferment for a year or so, frankly I wouldn't eat either,  yours or theirs.
  As for Ramen noodles,  I use it occasionally in preparing different trail meals, usually by separating the packets of flavoring from the dried noodles and using one or the other in different recipes that are healthy when finished, and once in a while, especially on cold days I'll make a package just to warm my insides,  I don't think that's quite the same as craving junk food like you seem to be fanaticizing over fake cheese.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »
Well this got interesting.   :-\ 

Here is the history of Velveeta.  Kind of interesting to me.  I like the stuff and use it in a few recipes besides mac and cheese, usually with okay results.

http://www.organicauthority.com/what%27s-in-velveeta

Here is another site that has a recipe for making homemade Velveeta cheese.  (It is really just making a cheese spread but so what?)  It uses real cheese to make something you can probably spread on a slice of bread or slather on a hamburger.

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-homemade-velveeta-cheese-recipe/
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
Moe, you don't seem able to read the content of any of the links I have provided or come close to grasping the concept of using one SPECIFIC ingredient in a recipe which has no known substitute. ???    Do it any way YOU want.  WHO CARES?  :shrug: .....but I still will not even come close to replicating the taste of Mom's M&C by substituting a cheese that has a different flavor entirely and clots or strings, rather than melts like Velveeta is designed to.  TRY to understand that I just counted FIVE different kinds cheeses in our fridge and we use them all in DIFFERENT recipes.....just not this particular one!  :P

BTW.......won't substituting a rotted Vietnamese fish product for dried cod in a recipe yield an entirely different taste? :rolleyes:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »

Here is the history of Velveeta.  Kind of interesting to me.  I like the stuff and use it in a few recipes besides mac and cheese, usually with okay results.

Here is another site that has a recipe for making homemade Velveeta cheese.  (It is really just making a cheese spread but so what?)  It uses real cheese to make something you can probably spread on a slice of bread or slather on a hamburger.

OK, Stan, your first link makes MY point more easily understood.....for SOME of America's oldest comfort foods there are no real substitutes for the qualities of certain specific ingredients like "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product" :lol:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

OK, Stan, your first link makes MY point more easily understood.....for SOME of America's oldest comfort foods there are no real substitutes for the qualities of certain specific ingredients like "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product" :lol:

OK, using your own words, "Ingredients like "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product",  that's just the point,  IT'S NOT a CHEESE PRODUCT, read my lips, THERE'S NO CHEESE IN IT,  jeeze louise !

I don't care if it's an American favorite over the last century and a half,  you may have a jackass that you have loved for years and he thinks he's a horse,  rub hands together and click your heels together all you want, you ain't turning that Jack Ass into a quarter horse.
  I understand,  you love the memory of your Mothers Mac & Cheese,  but lets not forget why we're having this discussion,  it's because you can't replicate it,  and you won't when you're using an all together different ingredient than your mother did,  she was using a real cheese product,  you're using an inferior product created in a lab using chemicals, food waste by-products, and artificial flavorings and color.
 We can snipe at each other until the cows come home, but actually this has nothing to do with Ramen Noodles, Lutefish, or whether or not it's a bonafide knot according to Wolfy,  It's got to do with calling something a name which it is not, AKA being truthful.   

I'm done. 

Are you still coming over for coffee ??? ?

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
The best queso uses Velveeta. 2lbs Velveeta, can cheddar cheese soup, three cans cream of mushroom, at least 2lbs green chili (frozen not canned), and at least five cloves garlic. If too thick thin out with milk. I serve this every Christmass eve, never lasts the night. It also makes a great topping for green chili meatball subs. I recently made green chili meatball subs for a dozen seventh Calvary, Gary Owen unit soldiers, they told me I should open a stand outside their base, fort hood I believe. 
Nice matters

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
Not mom's, but here is my wife's recipe that all of the family loves:

Ingredients:

8 oz pkg ziti macaroni or elbow macaroni, uncooked
    10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
    4 oz American cheese (from the deli), shredded
    1 3/4 cups milk
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. (Just a minute or two less than normal cooking time.) Drain well and set aside.

In a large saucepan, cook butter, onion, salt and pepper on medium heat until onion is tender.

Turn heat down to low and whisk in flour. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly until mixture is smooth.

Turn heat to medium high. Very slowly add milk, whisking constantly.  Cook and continue to whisk until the liquid is thickened. It should be a medium gravy consistently when done. Be careful not to burn the bottom of the pan, always stir from the bottom. Remove from heat.

Add in the American cheese and about 8 oz of the sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until well combined. (Reserve the remaining 2 oz of cheddar cheese for sprinkling on top.)

Add the macaroni to the sauce pan and combine gently until the macaroni is well coated.

Pour contents into a lightly buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Sprinkle remaining 2 oz cheddar cheese on top.

Bake in preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes. Allow 5 minutes to rest before serving.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
Greg, that sounds great......didn't you give that recipe out before or bake a Dutch oven full of it for one of your Krac gatherings a couple of years ago?  I think we even had pictures! :drool:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »
Moe, I never said Velveeta WAS cheese, but according to law it it states right on the box that it IS a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product!"   Take 'em to court if you want to press the issue! 8)

We will discuss it later over coffee.....as far as I know, I have no problem with IT!  :coffee:    It ain?t decaf instant is it?  :puke: :doh:

From Wiki:
In 2002, the FDA issued a Warning Letter to Kraft that Velveeta was being sold with packaging that described it as a "Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread",[8] which the FDA claimed was false because the product listed milk protein concentrate (MPC) in its ingredients. Velveeta is now sold in the US as a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product",[9] a term for which the FDA does not maintain a standard of identity, and which therefore may contain milk protein concentrate.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »
The best queso uses Velveeta. 2lbs Velveeta, can cheddar cheese soup, three cans cream of mushroom, at least 2lbs green chili (frozen not canned), and at least five cloves garlic. If too thick thin out with milk. I serve this every Christmass eve, never lasts the night. It also makes a great topping for green chili meatball subs. I recently made green chili meatball subs for a dozen seventh Calvary, Gary Owen unit soldiers, they told me I should open a stand outside their base, fort hood I believe. 

Orbean....that recipe sounds straight out New Mexico! :cheers:

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
Greg, that sounds great......didn't you give that recipe out before or bake a Dutch oven full of it for one of your Krac gatherings a couple of years ago?  I think we even had pictures! :drool:

Wolfy, great memory. I did bake up a big batch of Stacy's pre-made Mac 'n Cheese in a D.O. at one of the Krac camps, Buck Lake I believe. The D.O. was licked clean as I remember.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »

Wolfy, great memory. I did bake up a big batch of Stacy's pre-made Mac 'n Cheese in a D.O. at one of the Krac camps, Buck Lake I believe. The D.O. was licked clean as I remember.
Yeah, Heather says I have a mind like a steel........BALL! :P

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »
Moe, I never said Velveeta WAS cheese, but according to law it it states right on the box that it IS a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product!"   Take 'em to court if you want to press the issue! 8)

We will discuss it later over coffee.....as far as I know, I have no problem with IT!  :coffee:    It ain?t decaf instant is it?  :puke: :doh:

From Wiki:
In 2002, the FDA issued a Warning Letter to Kraft that Velveeta was being sold with packaging that described it as a "Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread",[8] which the FDA claimed was false because the product listed milk protein concentrate (MPC) in its ingredients. Velveeta is now sold in the US as a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product",[9] a term for which the FDA does not maintain a standard of identity, and which therefore may contain milk protein concentrate.

No Sir,  instant coffee like Velveeta plastic imitation cheese is not allowed in our house,  my coffee of the day is brewed Meletta breakfast blend served hot, strong, and high test,   Coffee without cafine is kind of like Pasteurized prepared cheese product with no cheese in it, or alcohol free beer,  or cooking wine that ain't at all real wine,  you just have to love (feel sorry for) people who have a lust for fixing things that ain't broke.
  Oh, and Egg Beaters, now there's another example of plain old Bull Ship, they (everyone with a financial interest) tell us that eggs are bad for us, then they take the only part of the egg that has nutrients in it away, in its place they add chemical preservatives, some artificial coloring, and mix it together with that part of the egg that's useless, package it up in a pretty looking little box that holds the equivalent of two eggs and price it at same cost as a dozen real eggs,  and some people actually believe that they're getting something healthy when all they're getting is ripped off.
  I need another coffee.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »

Coffee without caffeine is kind of like Pasteurized prepared cheese product with no cheese in it, or alcohol free beer,  or cooking wine that ain't at all real wine,  you just have to love (feel sorry for) people who have a lust for fixing things that ain't broke.

Be damn glad you don't have heart issues Moe.  You would be drinking coffee without caffeine and happy you had it. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »

Coffee without caffeine is kind of like Pasteurized prepared cheese product with no cheese in it, or alcohol free beer,  or cooking wine that ain't at all real wine,  you just have to love (feel sorry for) people who have a lust for fixing things that ain't broke.

Be damn glad you don't have heart issues Moe.  You would be drinking coffee without caffeine and happy you had it.

Thanks Stan, good to hear from you.

My wife had a quadruple bypass 30 years ago, since then four stints,  has suffered one heart attack and has bouts of A-Fib,  she has three heart doctors who are supposed to be of the best in New England and they monitor her pretty closely, I can't argue with any of that because she's still with me and still very much alive,  I don't know specifically how many or what kind of heart meds she takes but I do know that she takes them three times a day, and her pill cup is about half full each time.
 All that said,  none of her doctors, nurse practitioners, or visiting nurses (occasionally in the past) have said word one about the dangers of coffee for a heart patient, or suggest that she give up coffee or switch to decaf, but hey I'm not about to say you're wrong, so I did a little on line research.
 What I found were about a half dozen results of studies and opinions about the dangers of caffeine as it relates to heart attacks and heart patients,  and it seems that like global warming and gun control the results and opinions are pretty well split right down the middle.
 What they all for the most part do agree on is that drinking coffee in moderation has shown to be beneficial in reducing the chances of getting certain types of cancer, diabetes, and ailments of the colon and stomach, so,  what does one take from this,  I don't know, and I doubt very much that all the experts with all the opinions know for sure either.
 As in many of life's choices, I guess all you can do is follow your gut instincts and do what you feel is right for you,  me I'm pouring myself another cup of high test caffeine.  (grin)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
I have read the same thing Moe and hope it is right regarding the beneficial side of drinking caffeinated coffee.  My cardiologist says one cup of coffee a day with caffeine.   No soft drink or any other avoidable source of caffeine either.  He is supposed to be somewhat competent from what I have read and heard about him.  I have one stent, a pacemaker, and constant Afib.  I take enough pills to keep big pharma in business.  I am on warfarin because of the afib and that may be the root of the no caffeine edict because it was when that was discovered that the warfarin started.  Anyway one does what one thinks is best for their particular situation.  In mine it is to minimize caffeine intake based on the advice of medical professionals.   :-X   
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
I have read the same thing Moe and hope it is right regarding the beneficial side of drinking caffeinated coffee.  My cardiologist says one cup of coffee a day with caffeine.   No soft drink or any other avoidable source of caffeine either.  He is supposed to be somewhat competent from what I have read and heard about him.  I have one stent, a pacemaker, and constant Afib.  I take enough pills to keep big pharma in business.  I am on warfarin because of the afib and that may be the root of the no caffeine edict because it was when that was discovered that the warfarin started.  Anyway one does what one thinks is best for their particular situation.  In mine it is to minimize caffeine intake based on the advice of medical professionals.   :-X

I can't agree more Stan,  when in doubt it's best to do what your care givers suggest,  they usually don't tell you how to farm,  we shouldn't try to second guess them at their job,  sorry to hear of your health issues my friend, all part of the joys of seniorhood I guess,  whoever said that youth was wasted on the young had it right.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »

Actually I know all about dried cod, and I also know not to marinate it in lye until it no longer resembles, tastes, or smells like real fish,  the Vietnamese have a similar recipe, but they break it down and get the rotten taste and smell from burying it in a crock in the ground to ferment for a year or so, frankly I wouldn't eat either,  yours or theirs.

Dadgumit!  Don't go badmouthin' Lutefisk OR Nuoc Mam just 'cause they got funny sounding names to a Norwesterner. :taunt:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
I know one thing for certain.....there ain't no caffeine in VELVEETA! :coffee:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »
Who cut the cheese?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
Who cut the cheese?
Moe's the real cheese expert, so I assume it must be him. :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
I agree.  He gripes about stinky fish and then cuts the cheese.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 10:34:39 PM »
HOLY COW.....LOOK WHAT I FOUND ON KRAFT'S WEBSITE!  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Heather made this for Bill (The Yuma Kid) and me and had it ready when we came in from hunting deer tonight......EXACTL Y how I remember that Mom's baked Macaroni & PASTEURIZED PREPARED CHEESE PRODUCT ;) tasted!  :drool:      WOLFY APPROVED! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VELVEETA Down-Home Macaroni & Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product
Prep Time:
25min.      
Total Time:
45min.      
Servings
5 servings, 1 cup each

What You Need:

1/4 cup butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup).....We left these out 'cause Mom never used 'em, but Heather did sprinkle about a 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar over the top before baking it.  Good move!

Make It:

Heat oven to 350*F.
Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Add VELVEETA; cook 3 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni.
Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. (Optional)
Heather added about 1/3-1/2 cup of shredded cheddar to the top before popping it into the oven.  It really finished it off nicely! :thumbsup:
Bake 20-25 min. or until heated through and nicely browned on top.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:42:18 AM by wolfy »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
I agree.  He gripes about stinky fish and then cuts the cheese.

LOL, If it was me you'd never know it,  my new laptop has a smell filter built into it right next to the screen cam. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
HOLY COW.....LOOK WHAT I FOUND ON KRAFT'S WEBSITE!  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Heather made this for Bill (The Yuma Kid) and me and had it ready when we came in from hunting deer tonight......EXACTL Y how I remember that Mom's baked Macaroni & PASTEURIZED PREPARED CHEESE PRODUCT ;) tasted!  :drool:      WOLFY APPROVED! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VELVEETA Down-Home Macaroni & Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product
Prep Time:
25min.      
Total Time:
45min.      
Servings
5 servings, 1 cup each

What You Need:

1/4 cup butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup).....We left these out 'cause Mom never used 'em, but Heather did sprinkle about a 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar over the top before baking it.  Good move!

Make It:

Heat oven to 350*F.
Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Add VELVEETA; cook 3 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni.
Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. (Optional)
Heather added about 1/3-1/2 cup of shredded cheddar to the top before popping it into the oven.  It really finished it off nicely! :thumbsup:
Bake 20-25 min. or until heated through and nicely browned on top.

LOL, compare my recipe to yours,  except for the plastic imitation cheese product and the addition of a little chicken stock and a couple of seasonings they're identical, I'll bet if you used a good (Land O Lakes) American cheese and some cheddar cheese instead of the phony Velveeta schit it would taste a whole lot better than you remember.