Author Topic: BAKED MAC & CHEESE  (Read 436 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: BAKED MAC & CHEESE
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »
The most important thing to me is, it tastes exactly the same as I remember it.....and besides, I always adhered to the old adage, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. 8) :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
Just read this entire thread over morning coffee, lmao :rofl: you o'l timers are hilarious  8)

p.s... while it may not necessarily help those with advanced heart issues, make sure you get plenty of magnesium in your daily diet its essential for proper function of your heart and many other things
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
I like to melt Velveeta in the microwave with a little salsa and pour it over broccoli. Gives it a nice zip.

As for instant coffee, I am grateful it exists because coffee pot maintenance sucks and no one else cares to do it for me. I have a water cooler that takes the 5 gallon bottles and we get Culligan delivered. This dispenser also has a hot side which cut out the time microwaing a mug of water. All I have to do is stir in my instant coffee, sugar and half and half and I have a nice cup of coffee with the least amount of effort. Yes, the real deal is arguably better. But I have never craved the real thing so bad that it was worth the time and effort to deal with brewing it and cleaned up the coffee machine afterwards. Maybe a French press would be ok if it is dishwasher safe. But I still like instant for the convenience.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »
sorry,  I have NO recipes using Velveeta.  laughing

I can give you a decent recipe though.  Used to serve this in my last restaurant.  I scaled it down for home use.
Macaroni and Cheese

Cook one box elbow or twist macaroni

Make a medium white sauce
Make a roux with 3 Tbls butter, 3 Tbls flour.  Cook the roux       until golden brown.
   Add 1 ? cup hot milk.
   Stir until the mixture thickens.
   Add in 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese, stir until melted and
   Incorporated.
   Add 1/8 cup sherry
         Add black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper,
   Several grates of fresh Nutmeg,  and dry mustard, to taste.

Mix the cheese sauce with the cooked macaroni. 
Butter a casserole dish, and pour in the mac and cheese.  Top with another 4 ounces of grated Cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350? for 20 min, or until the cheese melts on top.  Bake longer if you want a crusty cheese topping.

Remove from oven, serve.