Author Topic: Catching Up....  (Read 60 times)

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
Catching Up....
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
Howdy folks....been a while since I posted, had a full plate the past 6 months or so. Been working 6 days a week at a job that didn't appreciate their employees, some medical problems with Betty (Nature Girl) and her mother, and plus we moved.

I have been lurking around the forum off and on during that time. Things are looking up for us now, I started a new job 2 weeks ago with better pay and benefits...now Betty can get the medical attention she deserves and needs (myself as well). Her mother has her good days and bad days but is doing a lot better.

We moved into my late mother's house to keep an eye on my brother and sister who are both disabled and be closer to Betty's mother as well.

With our 'ailments' all we can muster right now is car camping when we get everything settled down. Sorry for the ramble, I just wanted to say I missed you folks and am glad to be back in the saddle for what it's worth. God bless and thanks for lookin'.
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Catching Up....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
 Good to hear from you nature boy, also good to hear that things are looking up and getting better for you and yours,  there's certainly nothing wrong with car camping,  we don't do it as much as we'd like, but it was always fun and enjoyable,  anything that gets you out into and among the woods is a good thing.
 Speaking about wellness and the woods,  I read an interesting piece a couple of days ago in a medical journal about Forest Bathing,  don't laugh, nobody is suggesting getting naked and running around the woods that way,  actually it was about several studies in different medical universities around the world that started in Japan back in the '90's,  the results of the studies have shown a marked improvement in the physical and emotional health of people who regularly visit the woods either hiking, camping, or just a couple of hour walk,  the studies suggest that the health benefits from just a few hours spent in the woods among the trees can last up to several months.
 Besides the normal benefit of fresh air and sunshine there seems to be a newly discovered benefit, that being that trees have an immune system that emits a certain chemical into the air through it's leaves and bark that has anti bacterial/anti viral properties that ward off illness that could damage or kill them.
 Scientist that have been studying this for some time are saying that those properties that the trees are putting out are just as beneficial to humans as they are to the trees themselves,  so much so that the country of Japan has made "Forest Bathing" a legitimate part of it's National Health Policy.

Just something to keep in mind when the urge to get back to the woods starts working on you. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »
Glad to hear that things are improving with you NB.  Good luck with all of this and we hope you can get back to regular visits here. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
Glad things are looking up for you. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
Me, too...... :welcome: back home! :tent:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
Welcome back......Good to see you.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • Too soon old, too late smart
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 06:37:13 PM »
   ...results of the studies have shown a marked improvement in the physical and emotional health of people who regularly visit the woods either hiking, camping, or just a couple of hour walk,  the studies suggest that the health benefits from just a few hours spent in the woods among the trees can last up to several months.
   Besides the normal benefit of fresh air and sunshine there seems to be a newly discovered benefit, that being that trees have an immune system that emits a certain chemical into the air through it's leaves and bark that has anti bacterial/anti viral properties that ward off illness that could damage or kill them.
   Scientist that have been studying this for some time are saying that those properties that the trees are putting out are just as beneficial to humans as they are to the trees themselves....

Wow.  Forest Bathing.  It figures.  When I was maybe 12, my dad gave me the choice of continuing to go to church, or spending at least three hours each Sunday with him, hiking and bird-watching (now called "birding").  I chose to hike.  Sometimes it was just a walk in the woods along Difficult Run, or along the old C&O Canal.  Sometimes it was a drive to Bull Run Ridge or Front Royal or Sperryville for a hike along the trails of Shenandoah Nat Park.  We were out in all kinds of weather.  I'd always loved and respected him, but in the woods we became a lot closer.  To him, the forests and hills were God's cathedrals.  That felt right to me.  We never realized we were also getting nature's medicine as we walked.  Thanks for the post, Moe.
The older I get, the better I used to be.  --  I thought my Dad coined that...but he stole it from Lee Trevino