Author Topic: Coffee, brewed vs. instant ?  (Read 376 times)

Moe M. and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Coffee, brewed vs. instant ?
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:07:01 AM »
 Coffee is almost always an interesting topic,  at one time in many parts of the world you couldn't give it away,  Tea was the civilized hot drink accepted around the world and even here in America, my how that has changed.
 To some people coffee is like a fine wine or a micro brewery beer carefully made and slowly savored, to others as long as it's hot, dark colored and bites the tongue it's ok,  I can remember back when I was very young especially in late fall and throughout the winter I'd wake up every morning to the sounds of my mother in the kitchen getting breakfast ready and the smell of coffee brewing on the old converted Glenwood cast iron stove.
 As a child I was allowed to have coffee, my folks called it "half & Half",  half coffee and half whole milk with a couple of teaspoons of sugar,  I don't have a clue how my mom and dad made their coffee, nor do I remember what brands they used, all I remember is that it was good to wake up to on a cold morning.
 I left home to start my own family younger than most boys, and like the average young newly weds of the time we had the basics down, but refinements took a long time, lessons could be hard learned, and we weren't any different, we soon learned that a lot of things we took for granted growing up weren't as easy to replicate in our new home, coffee was one of those things.
 We had a couple of new coffee makers from the shower and wedding gifts we received, we followed instructions and it didn't get any better, our coffee ran from mild and bland to down right offensive, we finally gave up and turned to instant, we made some weird faces while sipping it for a while, but eventually got used to it, we did a lot of camping back then and instant coffee was pretty handy to use for a quick cup.
 I don't remember the exact day that I changed my mind about instant coffee and decided to suffer the challenges of brewing good coffee,  but I do believe that Double D's had something to do with it, when the first local Dunkin' Donuts store opened up in my area, that's when I had my coffee epiphany and took up the challenge.
 I was driven, I tried all the major brands of super market coffee, went through a half dozen coffee makers and French presses,  the only coffee I really enjoyed in all that time was the one I picked up on my way to work every morning at Dunkin' Donuts.
 I read dozens of articles about making coffee,  I tried all the "secrets" like adding salt to the grounds, using egg shells,  I tried course ground, fine ground, even bought a grinder and ground my own from beans,  I began to wonder if a good cup of home made coffee was worth the trouble,  instant tasted like crap compared to well brewed coffee, but it was quick, it was consistent, and it wasn't any trouble to make, just add a rounded teaspoon of instant to hot water and stir,  and after all, I did get used to it before.
 Then came my first PC, well not exactly a computer, it was a Web TV box from Phillips that plugged into my TV and gave me internet access,  such as it was back then, and a whole new world of information opened at my finger tips,  not long after I brewed a good cup of coffee in my own kitchen,  I used my same coffee maker and same brand of coffee,  what changed was a few bits of information that I didn't have previously that I'll share with you,  as soon as I get back. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Coffee, brewed vs. instant ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
A guy who hates Velveeta drank instant coffee.  LOL!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »
While waiting for "the rest of the story" from Moe, I'll chime in.  I'm not a coffee snob although I prefer a medium roast/breakfast blend/original blend or whatever name the various coffee companies may give it.  Doesn't matter to me if it's Maxwell House, Folgers, Chock Full o' Nuts, generic store brand.  What I won't drink is instant coffee.  If that's all that is available, I'll do without.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
     Grandpa was disabled for a long time in his bed.  Loved coffee but couldn't make it to the kitchen.  So he ate teaspoons of instant Folgers throughout the day.

Overall I don't like instant.  But Mannilicher introduced me to some pretty good stuff that comes in a strawlike paper container.  Not bad and easy.

We drink 8 o'clock fresh ground and drip brewed through a funnel with a wire mesh or stainless colander in it at home.  One cup perfection.

In camp it's pretty much the 8 o'clock and funnel unless Crash comes.  He can make some coffee.  The only thing is I have to sneak off to add a little creamer.  Not cause it's bitter.  But because I like a little creamer.  I think he takes offense at me amending his creation.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
A guy who hates Velveeta drank instant coffee.  LOL!
While waiting for "the rest of the story" from Moe, I'll chime in.  I'm not a coffee snob although I prefer a medium roast/breakfast blend/original blend or whatever name the various coffee companies may give it.  Doesn't matter to me if it's Maxwell House, Folgers, Chock Full o' Nuts, generic store brand.  What I won't drink is instant coffee.  If that's all that is available, I'll do without.
We use nothing, but whole-bean coffees that we grind daily and brew in a Bunn coffee maker.  We also seem to trend toward dark roast, Arabica beans grown in Columbia.  Sam's Club sells a very acceptable fair-trade version that we have been using steadily for the the past couple of years.  We both :coffee: :coffee:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: like this one......

pHPnkVEQO3h117KaVf2 nWStps4GBP4OT0uTTSC 8ijazm9icTh8KAlrjl8 dLOx5K_0HlgfSEMZEUy U2uiBjgCwAFzQt9pZm6 ScIwReFxIZAFPVH71hG juM7euLnhoYzLeDZOKT CRSn3A&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis3_T1zb7XAhVB64MKHZ8wApwQ8wIIbDAC" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15561327108509509891?q=sam%27s+club+whole+bean+coffee&client=mobilesearchapp&channel=iss&rlz=1MDAPLB_enUS654US654&hl=en&v=38.0.172903409&sqi=2&biw=1024&bih=580&dpr=2&tch=6&wf=pp1&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX9vyS8jC74e pHPnkVEQO3h117KaVf2 nWStps4GBP4OT0uTTSC 8ijazm9icTh8KAlrjl8 dLOx5K_0HlgfSEMZEUy U2uiBjgCwAFzQt9pZm6 ScIwReFxIZAFPVH71hG juM7euLnhoYzLeDZOKT CRSn3A&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis3_T1zb7XAhVB64MKHZ8wApwQ8wIIbDAC

That didn't come out right.......LOL...w orks but looks odd.
Instant "coffee"...isn't coffee....so there is no "vs"
Yeah, just like Velveeta is a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product," I consider instant 'coffee' to be more of a "Pasteurized Prepared Coffee Product."  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
I've had only ONE instant coffee that was palatable, and it was GREAT!  Don't ask me why.

I was staying at a Red Lion Inn once, and the little 'coffee bar' in the room had a packet of "Black & Black's Connoisseur's Choice" instant coffee.
I'm a coffeeholic, so any port in a storm at 6 am.  I used the immersion heater provided to heat a cup and mixed in the powder.
Whoa!
I tried for 10 years afterward to find some to buy, but it turned out it was only wholesaled to business, and not available to the public. Rats....
If you doubt how good it was, that was almost 50 years ago, and I still remember the name of the stuff! Hahaha
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
I enjoy my morning coffee.  One, maybe two cups.   I use a local coffee roaster,  Strongtree.  The owners, Chris and Nora, are old friends.  I keep them in hot sauce, they keep me in coffee.  I grind the beans, and make my own blend.  Part  French roast and part decaf. 
Keureg machine with a reusable pod, or a French Press.  One sugar, some half & half.
In camp,  I am more inclined to use the Trader Joe's instant that Tony alluded to.  Sugar and creamer already in there.  I take my Stanley French Press cup, and use that from time to time.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
I remember my dad talking about coffee shortages during WWII and the substitutes that were available to take its place.  The one he remembered most vividly was 'Postum' and he HATED it with a passion.....he must have because he ranted about the vile brew for decades afterwards! :soap:

After a quick search, it seems they still make the stuff for people who can't even drink instant 'coffee' anymore for one reason or another.  :shrug: :coffee: .............

https://postum.com/our-roots/

Online hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
as for instant tasters choice french roast period.
as for beans any thing but McDonalds,
i've had that stull from hawaii to keywest and the grandcanyon,
it all tastes the same BITTER with hints of vinegar,arrrgh.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
The one he remembered most vividly was 'Postum' and he HATED it with a passion.....he must have because he ranted about the vile brew for decades afterwards! :soap:

About two years ago I saw a jar of Postum in the local grocery store.  Bought it, remembering my mother talking about it, and wondering what it was like.

I understand why your father ranted about the vile taste.   :puke:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 04:04:44 AM »
Drinking instant coffee is just.............un civilized. :coffee:

Online hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:22:02 AM »
drinking tasters choice does not make me a loin cloth wearing savage, just saving.
though i will say i drank both while living in a cave. bean and instant.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
My Dad brewed coffee at home using a pyrex stove top peculator, and while camping or at the camp with an aluminum perculator.
He preferred the pyrex one as he could see the colour of the coffee. He was pretty good with the aluminum one, it was just a bit hard to keep it perking without boiling when using a Coleman stove or the propane stove at the camp.

My great grandfather perfected a fireside method back in the '20s-'30s that my grandmother taught to me when I was in high school. We'd go down to the beach and build a driftwood fire. Till the coffee pot with 1 rounded tbsp. of coffee/1 cup of water. The coffee went in first, followed by a whole egg, shell and all. The coffee and egg were mixed up into a paste and then the COLD water was added and the pot was placed next to the fire, not on it. This brought the temperature up more slowly and prevented boiling. As soon as the water started to bubble, just as it started to boil, it was moved back from the fire and let stand for a few minutes. A can with some milk was also heated next to the fire and as soon as it started to steam it was moved back. Three parts coffee to one part steamed milk. 

I normally use a mid-range perk at home, but I also use a home espresso maker for Americanos (1 part espresso to 2 parts boiling water). I also have an Italian perk, one of the ones that has the water in the bottom, the grinds in the middle and it perks upwards into the top chamber. That's good strong coffee.
I use everything from Dollar Store coffee (surprisingly good) to Maxwell House medium grind to locally roasted beans and a grinder. I'm more about getting the water/coffee ratio and perk time right than I am about the type of coffee.

For camping I have a 10 cup and a 20 cup aluminum perks. I normally use the small one for my survival kit (Kochanski style) and I use the big one for car camping or when out with Scouts (leaders love coffee).

More recently, I re-watched Mors Kochanski's video on making bush coffee (Karamat Wilderness Ways on YouTube). His method is 1 tbsp. of coffee per cup of finished coffee. Bring it to a low boil and allow it to boil for exactly 1 minute (without it boiling over). Take it off, tap the can a few times and pour. I've done this a few times in the last month both at home and out in the woods and the results really are quite good.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »
Great post, Yeoman! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:     I've been part and parcel to many of the methods you mention in your post.....I especially remember the stack-chambered glass pot that sends the brewing coffee up into the upper chamber and then trickles it back into the lower pot as a finished 'cuppa'. :coffee:   I believe Mom's was a Cory brand, but I can't swear to it. :shrug:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »
a few bits of information that I didn't have previously that I'll share with you,  as soon as I get back.

Well, hell, Moe, how long does it take you to make a pot of coffee?

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
a few bits of information that I didn't have previously that I'll share with you,  as soon as I get back.

Well, hell, Moe, how long does it take you to make a pot of coffee?

LOL, not long nuk, I make a full pot every morning, it's always good and always consistent.

With all the hullabalu I started with the Mac & Cheese thread and the way the replies started coming in on this one I figured I'd better just sit this one out and give it a rest.
  You might think I said something bad about Mora knives again the way all the backs were going up,  I don't know if it's me or if it just that everyone is up tight,  but lately I've been getting into more trouble without trying than most people can on purpose.   

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Aw, heck, Moe, I enjoyed the Mac & Cheese thread.  I think most folks did, but if most folks didn't, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  FWIW, I'm not a Mora fan.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
  Ok, it's pretty simple,  here's what helped me make a great pot of coffee every time.

Have a good quality coffee maker that has a brew temp that is lower than boiling.
  If you use a French Press keep your water just under boiling when you add your coffee.

Always use filtered water, the heavy minerals and chemicals used in municipal water systems will ruin a coffee maker and make your coffee taste bitter or give it an acid flavor.

When using a drip type coffee maker or a French Press use only fine ground coffee,  medium and course ground coffee take longer for the full flavor of coffee to be extracted meaning you loose all the flavor that's left in the grounds when your machine finishes it's cycle, the same holds true for a French Press,  plus you use less coffee per cup,  medium grind coffee takes three teaspoons or one heaping tablespoon of grounds per six ounce cup,  fine ground coffee only takes two teaspoons per six ounce cup.

Many people don't know that a cup of coffee has a standard measurement of six ounces while most domestic coffee cups are made to hold 10 ~ 12 ounces,  so if one uses a coffee cup to measure their water the coffee is going to be weak and taste like the bottom of an ashtray.

Finely, Use a quality name brand of coffee,  you don't need to spend big bucks on artisan brands to get good flavor,  but usually unbranded, store brand, or dollar store type coffee is not the best quality to use if you want good results,  my personal preference is Melitta brand Breakfast Blend, it's a little more expensive than Maxwell House, Chock full of Nuts,  or Eight O'clock brands,  but because you're using less coffee per cup it pretty much evens out pricewise,  but most any name brand coffee will give good results as long as you keep your measurements of water and coffee right, and you use filtered water.

Before I started using filtered water I was going through a coffee maker every 12~18 months because of corrosion from the hard and treated municipal water from my tap,  I bought a one gallon Britta water filter bottle that I keep in the fridge just for our drinking and coffee water,  since using the filtered water four years ago I'm still using the same coffee maker, and no longer get bitter tasting coffee.

That's about it.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
Hey Moe, guess what?   I agree with you about 92% on this one! :lol: :coffee:

Online hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »
since were talking about the heavenly bean.
it would only take a day for americans to riot in the streets
if the daily coffee fix was not had. and remember the military drinks
the dark brew by the bucket, do you really want a sergeon who has
not had his fix me shakey me shakey cutting you open just saaying.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
I was on a Submarine where we ran out of coffee a couple of days before returning to port and had to get by on instant.  When we tied up, the Supply Officers replacement was waiting on the pier.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
Hey Moe, guess what?   I agree with you about 92% on this one! :lol: :coffee:

Are you feeling OK old Pard ?

Online hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
one thing i really miss is having a store where you can find over 20 kinds
of esspresso from the carribean, a good cuban sandwhich and a colada.
in key west you can find that also ocala fla. ola maing

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:21:42 PM »
Postum! OMG!  I hadn't thought about that for years.
A former boss, friend and hunting partner drank Postum. He was Mormon, and supposedly it had something to do with caffeine, blah, blah...
The first time we went hunting together, he brought a jar of Postum.  First thing he did at camp was pour about half the jar into the fire pit, then ask for a cup of my percolated high-test stuff.  He told me the Postum idea was his wife's and that's all she'd allow in the house. He got rid of half the jar in case she checked when he got home.
To be honest, I'm not all that fond of the taste of coffee, but it's the closest thing to taking my caffeine through an I.V.  I go through a pot a day. You know, the carafe that comes with the drip coffee maker that says "12 cups", but is actually 3?  They must be talking about English tea cups....

My idea of a cup o' joe is a 10 oz mug sweetened with a couple scoops of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate.  Cafe Moca. Yeah, baby... Now I can relax.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
 Like Velveeta is a leftover from the Depression and war time eras, Postum is as well, It was a staple in our home when I was growing up, when ever the folks ran out of coffee or couldn't afford it they turned to Postum.
 As a child I was allow to have coffee with my parents but my coffee was called half & half, half coffee and half milk with enough sugar added to make it sweet, having grown up with Postum I acquired a taste for it and always kept a jar of it in the pantry.
 It's been a long time since the kids have moved out and started their own families, we now have 9 grand kids and three great grand children,  one of my daughters has serious food allergies, she loved her coffee but had to cut it out, she can drink tea without a problem but coffee is out.
 About eight or ten years ago we were having a get together at our place and were having coffee and desert, she lamented that she would really go for a cup of coffee but didn't dare, so she went to the pantry to get some tea and spotted the Blue jar of Postum and asked me about it, I opened the almost full jar for the first time in quite a few years and it appeared to be still good, we made her a cup and she really enjoyed it.
 A few more visits and the jar was just about empty, the next time I was at the super market I looked for it and couldn't find it, I asked store clerk and was informed that they quit making it about five years before,  then I got a catalog from the Vermont Country Store, they were offering Postum again, the original recipe,  but it's $20.00 for an 8 ounce jar, but how much is your daughter worth ?
 The wife ordered a couple of jars, $53.00 bucks with shiping,  now I found that I can buy it right from the maker, it's still expensive but only by half at $10.00 a jar, I agree that if you take a sip of Postum expecting the taste of coffee you'll be disappointed, but if you keep an open mind and are receptive to new taste experiences you may like it.
 I know the first few times I made Chaga tea, Pine needle tea, and sassafras tea, it wasn't a great taste experience.   

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
If you like fake coffee......who knows, you may even develop a hankerin' for fake cheese.  O:-)  :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
A couple o' three years ago we were on a real "prepper" kick, and thinking about alternatives to grocery store fare.
I dutifully planted some chicory as a potential coffee substitute, having heared of its popularity.
Dried, ground and brewed a pot.
I poured the last half of the first cup on a thirsty houseplant...which responded by promptly dying.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
My dad liked coffee with chicory in it------Blecchhh!   :puke:   That is some nasty schitt!

Offline Pete Bog

• Mill File
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
My dad liked coffee with chicory in it------Blecchhh!   :puke:   That is some nasty schitt!

Worked with a guy from southern Louisiana aboard an aircraft carrier (CVA59) back in the early '70s. He'd get a care package of chicory coffee from home and then commandeer the coffee pot for a day. Much to the dismay of everyone else. I tried a cup once to see what the fuss was about. Your right. That is some nasty schitt.  :) I think you have to be born and raised on it to appreciate the taste.