Author Topic: Simple Stuff Sack  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
Simple Stuff Sack
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
I figured I'd share this old entry from my blog. Sorry for some of the crappy pics -

I was eyeballing the stuff sack that my Etowah tarp came in and admired the brilliantly simple design so I reverse engineered it to make my own stuff sacks. I documented my latest sack to serve as a mini tutorial. Please forgive my poor sewing ability - I'm still learning.

Firstly I started with a scrap piece of canvas from a GI shelter half that I recently made a haversack from. To get the right size piece of material simply double the desired width and add about 1/2 inch and add about 1 inch to the desired height.

The real genius in this design is that it does not require any grommets or fancy sewing; the finished and reinforced edges are all achieved with two simple folds. Here I must give thanks to my wife for showing me how to do this part easily. I guess I'll keep her.

Note that the entire sack is sewn inside out so that the "raw" edges will be inside when done.

First I fold the upper corners in - the size of the triangle from top to bottom should be double the desired height of the channel that your cinch cord will run through.

Close up of one side:

Next I fold the top down to form the cord channel. For stiffer material one will probably want to place the cord in the channel before sewing it down but for lightweight stuff I have been able to easily get the cord through after sewing the channel.

Close up of one side:

Next I fold the entire thing in half and sew the bottom and side together.

Lastly I turn the whole sack inside out and install a cordloc (one could just as easily use a simple tie string for a more "traditional" look).

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Simple Stuff Sack
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
I like Simple. :)  I reallly need to sit down and make a bunch of these.  All in different sizes to keep the big pack organized.     Thanks for this tuturial.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
The real genius in this design is that it does not require any grommets or fancy sewing; the finished and reinforced edges are all achieved with two simple folds. Here I must give thanks to my wife for showing me how to do this part easily. I guess I'll keep her....
I've sewn up dozens of stuff sacks. Somehow I missed this obvious trick. Thank your wife for me!  :thumbsup:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
I'm a little slow sometimes, but after going over this tut a few times I think even I might possibly,maybe,potentially be able to make one of these, thanks for putting it up for us.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:20 AM »
Neat! I like the nice finished edges you get by folding in those corners. I will be filing this away in the old noggin for possible future use.