Author Topic: ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD  (Read 68551 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »

One way would be to start with Hunts ketchup.  The stuff with no hfcs.  Then add some worchestershire sauce, brown sugar and go from there.  Bobby Flay has some good recipies on the interwebs for his sauces and most are ketchup based.
PW, I'm with Gryphon on this approach.
When I'm doing a quick-n-dirty sauce, I'll start with ketchup, add molasses, Worchestershire sauce, black pepper, granulated (or powdered) garlic and a splash of Liquid Smoke. Add brown sugar if the molasses isn't sweet enough for you. I can whip up a couple cups of this on the stove top to blend the flavors in about 20 minutes.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
PW I haven't bough a bottle of BBQ sauce in so long I can't remember. I have 4 different ones I make quite regularly that are very good. As to giving it a Smoky flavor I never worry about that as the meat supplies that however you can either add Liquid Smoke or put  it on the pit and let it chuckle all day while your cooking your meat,it will get plenty smoky.

For all things pork I prefer a mustard based sauce I know it sounds ridiculous but every one who has ever tried it can't get enough and it is usually the first to run out.

Carolina Gold

4 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, grated (use a box grater or cheese grater)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste

Simmer 30 min over med low heat.

This is great on everything it is called
 BEST OF THE WEST

1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white onion, diced
1 1/2 cups catsup
1 1/2 cups bottled water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup Mexican lime juice
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup pancake syrup

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Simmer slowly at least 2 hours uncovered. Sauce will become bitter if cooked with a lid.

Makes about 4 cup

This is my Favorite go to sauce especially for Brisket but it is good on anything
from Burgers to to Chicken. I always have a qrt or so around and my daughter drags a Gal home every time she visits.

Texas Table Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup catsup
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
? cup cooking oil

Bring all ingredients to a boil stirring constantly, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
 Dissolve 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in 1/4 cup of cold water and mix into a paste.
 Slowly stir cornstarch paste into sauce and simmer to thicken to desired consistency. Makes about 2 quarts.

BLACK BBQ SAUCE I got this from my EX FIL it has it's roots in MS It's good but a little sweet for my taste but soemlike it sweet and some like a kick in the tonsils.  8)

1 cup ketchup
1 cup Red wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup black strap molasses
1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2/ tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 tbl butter
1 tbl Worcestershire sauce

Dump everything but the butte & worcestershire  in to a non-reacitve pot mix well bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer 20 min stiring constantly remove from heat stir in butter & worcestershire allow to cool & bottle makes 2 cups
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:27:53 PM by Smokewalker »
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
Sounds like a good start.

Where does the "tangy" come from, though? I have seen ginger as an ingredient, and apple cider vinegar as well. I imagine those might give it some "bite". I like sweetness in a sauce but it has to be tempered with a little acidity so it's not cloying.

EDIT:

Whoops, Smoke you posted while I was typing this. :D

I'll give those a try next time and tweak to taste. I do want to try making a sauce from scratch! :drool:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:24:42 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
Sweet Baby Rays is hard to improve on. Unless you just got time to kill!  IMHO :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »

Thanks Smoke,  I'll have to give that Carolina Gold a try real soon,  I use mustard a lot as a rub or marinade for pork,  your's sounds very good.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
We open fire cook a lot!!

Nothing better than a family back yard cookout!!
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
Nice pit and cook gear, Trentu.  I like your choice of tongs!  ;D
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »
Damn Trentu... Everyone is so unhappy in the pic...
 :-\

Ooops.. I really need to learn to not look at the laptop upside down... & here I thought everyone was unhappy...
LOL
 ;)

Mighty tasty looking chow... & as good as things are lookin, it doesn't look like any left overs tomorrow either!
 :thumbsup:

P.S. - I see some beer over by the table in the background... not "my" brand, but Beer is Beer...
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
I'd have to sample a little of everything on the grate, but I don't do lite anything especially beer ;D THats a nice pit I like the Santa maria rate too.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2012, 06:09:59 AM »
Nice pit and cook gear, Trentu.  I like your choice of tongs!  ;D

Thanks. They are the best deal around for $3. Keeps the Sweet Baby Rays off our fingers! ;D
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »
Damn Trentu... Everyone is so unhappy in the pic...
 :-\

Ooops.. I really need to learn to not look at the laptop upside down... & here I thought everyone was unhappy...
LOL
 ;)

Mighty tasty looking chow... & as good as things are lookin, it doesn't look like any left overs tomorrow either!
 :thumbsup:

P.S. - I see some beer over by the table in the background... not "my" brand, but Beer is Beer...
We usually have a good time. They have tequila and Malibu going on back there also. :)
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »
I didn't go back thru all the posts n this topic to check, but I want to share an easy dry "rub" for those who would like to try doing this stuff. Perhaps someone already mentioned this recipe, But  will offer it for those who would like to try something with a "rub", & usually many of the ingredients are in their spice racks anyway. Or.. they are not too expensive to buy to try this stuff. You can add to, or take away from it all ya like. I suggest ya do....
 I do , but this is a basic one for anyone to try. It s mostly for chicken/poultry , pork, beef & wild game(venison), but you can use it for fish, lamb, etc f ya like... Add or take away.. the good part is. it's one of those recipes that if ya use the basics... it can't hurt. ;)

So here it is, makes enuff to do about 50 pounds of meat in this ratio, reducing is easy, just cut in half or quarters to reduce to smaller amounts if needed, but if ya like it, having it around won't hurt & it won't last too long f ya like it...:

This amount is for a good bunch of meats as I said:

1/2 cup paprika

1/2 cup black or white pepper (  suggest fresh ground from peppercorns)

1/2 cup chili powder

1/2 cup cumin

1/3 to 1/2 cup Non iodized salt ( Kosher or Sea salt is best. Iodized can be used in a pinch, but is           not recommended)

2-3 Tblspns garlic Powder ( not salt)

2-3 Tblspns onion Powder ( not salt)

2/3rd cup granulated sugar

1/3rd cup Brown sugar ( light or dark... no matter)

{ You can substitute the White granulated for an equal amount of Brown if ya like... }

Mix well together & store in a seal able container like Tupperware, Ziplok, or even a recycled cottage cheese/sour cream container or the like. Fits pretty close into a Kraft/whatever-type Parmesan cheese container too...

Keep in a dry place, like any spices. You can apply it before hand & refrigerate, or just apply it as ya put the meat on the cooker. Doesn't matter. Rub it in, or sprinkle.. Good both ways..

If anyone wants me to reduce the ratio down for them, if they just want to try it one time...let me know & I will do it for ya. I also have suggestions for other ingredients to add, f wanted..

I have Brine/Marinade recipes & BBQ sauce recipes, & whatever that I been using for many years, & they are not all "secrets". I just wanted to share an easy one for folks to try..
 :D

As  said, you can add to, or take away from this one.. But it works pretty darn good just as I wrote it.. YMMV fya make changes. Your responsibility if ya mess something up...LOL
It's YOUR meat..
 ;)

Hope I didn't repeat someone elses stuff.. Ddn't mean to. I am using ths rub to do 20 pounds of pork sirloin roasts on the smoker tomorrow or the next day.. Only reason I mentioned it here tonite.
 :D

Have fun & Enjoy! Give it a try! I "guarantee"... good eats...
 ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:08:17 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
MnSortsmsn, sounds great, going to have to try it out.

Thanks!
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Finally put the Brinkman back into service after giving it a 12 year vacation.  :P
Beef short ribs, a homemade "Fire Cracker" sauce, and mesquite smoking pellets.
Came out okay. Need to get used to this thing again, since it has no vents at all!
It has a chuck roast in its future. But if I'm not doing the banana dance over that, Mr. Brinkman may get retired for good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
Finally put the Brinkman back into service after giving it a 12 year vacation.  :P
Beef short ribs, a homemade "Fire Cracker" sauce, and mesquite smoking pellets.
Came out okay. Need to get used to this thing again, since it has no vents at all!
It has a chuck roast in its future. But if I'm not doing the banana dance over that, Mr. Brinkman may get retired for good.

The body seems to be in good shape,  it shouldn't be much of a problem to cut or drill in some vent holes and screw in adjustable flaps to open and close them,  I had one just like that before I got my drum type side smoker and it did a pretty good job.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

The body seems to be in good shape,  it shouldn't be much of a problem to cut or drill in some vent holes and screw in adjustable flaps to open and close them,  I had one just like that before I got my drum type side smoker and it did a pretty good job.
More dirty than rusty. Being completely open on the bottom, it doesn't seem to have any trouble drawing air. If anything, I'd like to be able to damp it down a bit underneath.
The other thing I remember I didn't like about it is the super-deep coal pan with no ventilation. The top coals burn out, and smother the bottom ones with ash.  I notice the newer (post-2001) pans have vent holes about 1 1/2" down from the top all the way around.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:31 PM »

More dirty than rusty. Being completely open on the bottom, it doesn't seem to have any trouble drawing air. If anything, I'd like to be able to damp it down a bit underneath.
The other thing I remember I didn't like about it is the super-deep coal pan with no ventilation. The top coals burn out, and smother the bottom ones with ash.  I notice the newer (post-2001) pans have vent holes about 1 1/2" down from the top all the way around.

I used a .22RF. drill to open mine up,  it wasn't pretty (the pan, not the .22) but it worked ok.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
OP we are on the same wave length, I drug mine out of the shed after a 8 year sabbatical last week, First cook was a 5 lb chuck roast that I used for pulled beef Samiches. You need to look at this site to help with the temp issues mine got this treatment. http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html I run with an empty water pan and foil over the top of it it catches the runoff and the air space created is a more efficient heat sink allowing longer burn times.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
OP we are on the same wave length, I drug mine out of the shed after a 8 year sabbatical last week, First cook was a 5 lb chuck roast that I used for pulled beef Samiches. You need to look at this site to help with the temp issues mine got this treatment. http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html I run with an empty water pan and foil over the top of it it catches the runoff and the air space created is a more efficient heat sink allowing longer burn times.
Ha! Thanks! Fun site. I LMAO at his tender test with the Spam.  Got some good ideas there.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
When to soak, when not to?
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »
Nice man kitchen Tobit, Like OP suggested make a packet for your wood. Remember wet wood don't smoke it give off steam. What time are we eating to day, should I bring something beside a voracious appetite?
So... I usually use pressed hardwood pellets for smoking, and of course those are used dry. I also know that the junk you usually find on the BBQ isle in the stores is basically sawdust, and soaking that gives you burning peat moss.  :P

But I have a 'domestic disagreement" over soaking tennis ball sized chunks of cherry and apple wood.
Point 1: The soaked wood burns slower, and "smolders", giving off smoke for a longer period.
Point 2: The dry chunks give off 'pure' smoke, but are quickly consumed and need to be replenished. Plus they give off more heat while flaming.

I tried to compromise and make foil pouches for the chunks of dry wood. What I got was flaming foil that melted into the coals.   :rolleyes:

So the question: Is soaking, a good or bad thing?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:11:33 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Bummer....
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
Big disappointment with the Brinkman tonight. After 4 hours, 1 refill of smoke wood, and 1 refill of briquettes, I ended up having to finish off one lousy chicken in the gas grill at 375o, indirect, for another 40 minutes.

It was beautifully smoked, but not cooked. I'm going to give this abomination one more try with charcoal (not briquettes), and tend it like I would cooking over a campfire.

Great smoke...no heat.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
Re: Bummer....
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
Big disappointment with the Brinkman tonight. After 4 hours, 1 refill of smoke wood, and 1 refill of briquettes, I ended up having to finish off one lousy chicken in the gas grill at 375o, indirect, for another 40 minutes.

It was beautifully smoked, but not cooked. I'm going to give this abomination one more try with charcoal (not briquettes), and tend it like I would cooking over a campfire.

Great smoke...no heat.
IF you want to get the heat up you need to drill a series of holes in the bottom of the coal pan and put a grate in the pan so the ash has some where to go so it don't snuff out the fire. Do not put water in the water pan leave it dry and put a piece of foil over the top of it. I cooked Chicken on mine two nights ago it was holding 325 I had 3 small chunks of pecan and may be a lb of lump charcoal in the pan I lit up about as much as I can hold in my hands and dumped it on top. It was at 250 in about 10 min and a few min after that when I put the chicken on it was at 280.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Re: Bummer....
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
IF you want to get the heat up you need to drill a series of holes in the bottom of the coal pan and put a grate in the pan so the ash has some where to go so it don't snuff out the fire. Do not put water in the water pan leave it dry and put a piece of foil over the top of it. I cooked Chicken on mine two nights ago it was holding 325 I had 3 small chunks of pecan and may be a lb of lump charcoal in the pan I lit up about as much as I can hold in my hands and dumped it on top. It was at 250 in about 10 min and a few min after that when I put the chicken on it was at 280.

I ignored your advice about the foil air-trap. AND, I failed to look for the little round grate I know I have hiding here somewhere. I know the grate will make a 90% improvement, because the ash is the killer on this thing. Could I drill those holes with my .44???  :-\

I was using cherry wood from a tree we had to cull, and the chicken came out beautifully. The breast was so moist you could almost wring it out! Suppose that was due to the water pan?
Gotta get this thing psyched out, 'cause it has a lot of potential.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
 The only reason for a water pan is to act like a heat sink, Since water boils a 212 how hot do you think your smoker is getting? low temps and chicken = rubbery skin & under cooked chicken.275 + will give you a moist juicy bird with crispy bite through skin. If you fill the need to add something  in the pan about 2" of playground sand works great and gives off a very steady even heat.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:56:20 PM by Smokewalker »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »

Damn.. I feel bad for you folks who don't know how to use a stack smoker...

Bumms me out to no end...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:41:20 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »

Damn.. I feel bad for you folks who don't know how to use a stack smoker...

Bumms me out to no end...
I've heard what Smokey had to say. Let's hear your method. (In 3,000 words, or less...)  ;D

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »
3k words or less.
OK

Try putting your charcoal "bowl" on the bottom set. Use a "chimney" to get yur Briquets going, One crumpled sheet newspaper, Briquets on top to the top of a coffee can chimney( the hell with the "liner") . The reason for the "low" charcoal set is for ease of addng yur smokng woods & any other briquets as the process goes on. The next level of the stacker is for the "Drip" pan.. The top edge should be about the top of the door, that is on the side of the smoker.  The rest of the "pegs" that stick out above that are for your "grills" that hold yur "meat/fish/etc.  The door is for you to add wood or charcoal to the Hot pan, & to add any moisture to the "drip" pan, if ya choose to do so. The rest is easy.. Get the coals as hot as ya would in any charcoal grll & then ether use the "Drip" pan to hold water, beer, wine, whatever, as a way to keep moisture n the smoker, or go "dry".. no matter... The "Drip"  bowl is the "difffuser" that makes the heat & smoke go around the sides, & become "in-direct, not "direct" heat. Using the "Drip" bowl helps in two ways at minimum. 1)  If left "dry", it keeps any "flame up from drippings that are hitting the hot coals & possibly burning the product you are smoking/cooking,
2) It blocks the direct heat from the coals to go around your product, & not just cook it like a plain old grill/fire.

If you add fluid to the "drip pan", it does take away from the heat of the coals & slows the cooking of the product & allows the product to absorb more of the smoke from the woods you have used to add the flavor. It also adds to the moisture content of the heated air & provides a"moist" heat environment, rather than a "dry" heat environment. ( Think "crock pot" vs. Oven" }

I think I will stop there...
---------------------------------------------
Edit: I removed the last part of this post. Just do what ya think is right, to get what ya want.
  Doesn't matter much anyhow.. Can lead a mule to a trough, but if he ain't gonna drink, why waste my time ...
---------------------------------------------------

Hope ya'll find a great way to do BBQ.
It is good stuff, no matter how ya decide to do it.
Cya

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:41:13 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
Gentlemen, every question or comment needn't be taken (or presented) as a challenge to one's authority on this or that topic. BBQ, like guns, hot rods, fishing, and any other pursuit men are passionate about, can quickly turn from a sharing of ideas into a game of one-upmanship with no winners.

Please, let's carefully consider our responses and how they might be received before hitting "submit". It is possible (and preferable) to make a point without vitriol for punctuation.

If there are any personal issues that can't be resolved by PM, there is always the option to join the conflict resolution member group and hash it out there.

Carry on...

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
I just scrounged one of those smokers.  This is doing me some good for sure.  Had one before and I could not get any heat out of it either, so I ratchet-strapped it to my gas grill's side burner.  Worked great!

Mine is missing one of the bowls.  I may use the one I have for the water bowl and one of my little charcoal grills as the fire pit.  Gonna have to read this whole thing and see what I've got then go play!
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »
I just scrounged one of those smokers.  This is doing me some good for sure.  Had one before and I could not get any heat out of it either, so I ratchet-strapped it to my gas grill's side burner.  Worked great!

Mine is missing one of the bowls. I may use the one I have for the water bowl and one of my little charcoal grills as the fire pit.  Gonna have to read this whole thing and see what I've got then go play!
The water bowl will fit on the bottom "lugs" on the legs inside, and can be used as the coal pan. It just holds less, that's all.

I have a buddy in the refuse business looking for a grate from a small table top Weber-style BBQ. That should work well as a grate for the coal pan, like Smokewalker described.  When I'm sure I have a grate that will fit, I'll figure out were to drill the vent holes.

The top pan (with or without water) is pretty important in these things since it provides a heat shield from the coals directly beneath the food, catches drips that might flare up, and disperses the smoke. Come to think of it, a round of sheet steel (like the diffuser plates in a gas BBQ) might also work just as well.

OR.....if you have both grates, cover one with tinfoil and use that on the bottom lugs. I'd double wrap it, top and bottom with heavy duty foil, and it would probably last several burns.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

Mine is missing one of the bowls.  I may use the one I have for the water bowl and one of my little charcoal grills as the fire pit.  Gonna have to read this whole thing and see what I've got then go play!
Get a 3.00 pizza pan at wally world or a clay planter saucer for about 6 bucks ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
Have you guys ever smoked nuts in the smoker?   I was just in the store today and they had "Smoked Peanuts" in there.   I thought.. mmmm.. that sounds really good.   BUt they wanted 10.99 for that jar. ouch.

I wonder what smoke flavor and if one could spritz with a bbq sauce while smoking if that would put a layer of flavor on them too? 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
I never tried it But if I was to try it I would do a cold smoke and toss them with some of my butt glitter.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Would you spritz them with something to get the butt glitter to stick to them?

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
No the oil in the nuts will have that covered

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
I found a 16 lb choice packer brisket yesterday for 2.18 lb today I introduced it to Bertha with some mesquite infused post oak perfume Cooked it L&S for two hrs to set my smoke ring then I tickled Bertha's sweet spot and she responded giving me 325 for the rest of the time we spent together. Started at 8:30 and 2:15 it probed like butta. Into a warmed up cooler wrapped in foil and and old towel for a rest until dinner at 5 YUM! :drool:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
:drool:

That looks perfect Smoke!

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
I was cursing around Wally World Checking out all the Wimen the other day and I spotted Briskets for 2.18 a LB. so since I couldn't get any Wimen to take me home I bought a Brisket and left for El rancho de BluDawg.

I put it in the ice box to age a few days.

Last night I trimmed it up 2.6 lbs worth.

I got up and put the coffee on to boil and went out & fired up Beulah. She came up and slow and settled in at 285 and I went in and put on the top coat of rub and poured a cup.

Put it on the the pit at 7:50 After 2 hrs fat cap down it was time to flip and pan Looks purty gud.

Beulah cruised right along with little effort at 270 pretty much all day until 2 pm I popped her top and probed the point & flat. Both felt like Hot Monkey Love.

I let it rest tented on the counter until the temp dropped to 140
separated the point & flat. This is a slice off the Flat.

Since my favorite part is the point here's my Supper.

Oh and before I forget, this was a USDA Select grade Brisket and it is in the top 5 of my very best.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
My mouth's watering, Smoke! Man that looks good!

I was cursing around Wally World Checking out all the Wimen the other day ...
I was just wondering if that was a Freudian slip, or do you curse Wally World as much as I do?  ;D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Help!
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »
I need some ideas! I have family from out of State here, and we're doing a prime rib on the Weber.
This isn't my first rodeo with this cut of meat over coals, but I'm looking for some really special rub to wow 'em.
Seasoned salts, pepper, rosemary, Italian blend, garlic...been there, done that.
I'd like to hear of some beef rubs folks have tried and swear by, not at.

Anybody?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Help!
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
I need some ideas! I have family from out of State here, and we're doing a prime rib on the Weber.
This isn't my first rodeo with this cut of meat over coals, but I'm looking for some really special rub to wow 'em.
Seasoned salts, pepper, rosemary, Italian blend, garlic...been there, done that.
I'd like to hear of some beef rubs folks have tried and swear by, not at.

Anybody?

OP,  this may not be exotic,  but I like it once in a while,  McCormick's Crushed Peppercorn Beef Rub,  it's good as a steak seasoning also.
  Their Pork Rub and Poultry Rub is also good,  it's a bit pricy as the jars aren't very big,  but a little goes a long way.

Hears a Rub I like, it works on just about anything, Beef, Pork, Chicken, or fish.

1/4 cup of course salt.
     1/4 cup of garlic powder.
     5 tbsp of sweet papprika.
     2 tbsp of fresh ground black pepper.
     2 tbsp of onion powder.
     2 tbsp of cayenne pepper.
     2 tbsp of dried oregano.
     2 tbsp of dried thyme.
     Blend all of the above, it keeps in a small canning jar for a long time.

For BBQ meat like ribs and brisket I add a quarter cup of brown sugar to the above.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Try a chimichurri?
This one is from the web...theres a few variations out there.  I use cilantro.

Chimichurri Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, trimmed of thick stems
    3-4 garlic cloves
    2 Tbsps fresh oregano leaves (can sub 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 Tbsp red or white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Method

1 Finely chop the parsley, fresh oregano, and garlic (or process in a food processor several pulses). Place in a small bowl.

2 Stir in the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Adjust seasonings.

Serve immediately or refrigerate. If chilled, return to room temperature before serving. Can keep for a day or two.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
I made that once (I think the recipe was a little different, but close) to put on steaks. It tasted pretty good. 
I could see how it would be really good on a roast.
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
Fine looking Brisket.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
Smokewalker at any point do you wrap the whole thing in foil?

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
No I don't wrap anything ever during the cook. I cook hotter than what most do I maintain my temps around 270+/- 20 deg. once it is Probe tender in the Flat & the Point(I probe through the side not the top) I remove it to rest on the counter top loosely tented with foil until the internal temp drops into the 140 zone. Then I separate the point & flat and slice pencil thick against the grain.   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »
I remember my BIL grilling brisket, and prime rib. His theory was that for medium rare, you pulled the meat at 140o, tented it with foil as it rested, and the temperature would continue to rise to about the 145o point as a final temperature. He insisted that the meat would continue to cook after being pulled from the grill, so he'd pull it short of the internal temp he wanted.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
OP if you cook a Brisket to 140 you would be better off chewing on your boot it would be more tender. Brisket don't start to get tender until the internal temp is north of 185* I have had some go as high as 220 before they gave it up. I don't even concern my self with meat temp during a cook when it probes like Hot Monkey Love its done regardless of temp. I let it rest until the temp drops into the 140's so all th moisture is reabsorbed and the meat has had a chance to relax.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #198 on: August 26, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
OP if you cook a Brisket to 140 you would be better off chewing on your boot it would be more tender. Brisket don't start to get tender until the internal temp is north of 185* I have had some go as high as 220 before they gave it up. I don't even concern my self with meat temp during a cook when it probes like Hot Monkey Love its done regardless of temp. I let it rest until the temp drops into the 140's so all th moisture is reabsorbed and the meat has had a chance to relax.
I'm going to have to give that a try once I get a better handle on the temp control. I understand about "low and slow", but I'm going to have a hard time convincing my Kitchen Magician (SWMBO) to sacrifice a beef brisket to what she would consider some 'crazy experiment'. Hahaha! It's just counter intuitive that if you dry something out over heat to that temperature, it doesn't end up like a charcoal hockey puck.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
With winter mostly over, here's another bump!

Tonight's dinner is a send off for my visiting son.  This arm roast will eventually be shaved cross-grain for French Dip sandwiches. It's seasoned with our standard fare of seasoned salt, granulated garlic, cracked black pepper and some dried rosemary leaves from the garden.

I love this rotisserie rack! It's amazing the different stuff you can cram in there, and then just worry about watching the clock, and not the flames!