Author Topic: quick attach snowplow mount.  (Read 228 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
quick attach snowplow mount.
« on: November 18, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »
Winter is coming. Lots of mixed news as to how bad it'll be. My Old Chevy is on it's last legs with a broken frame and trans mount.

I have started the John Deere at 20*F easily, so I'm  putting my trust in it's ability to start for me all winter.

I bought a 3/4"x4" steel bar and used some scraps I had laying around. I drilled the bar, bucket and it's mounting bracket to 1/2". This assures the pressure of the snowplow will be pushing directly against the loader arms.  I used a section of the big bar, a smaller thick walled square, and a piece of angle. 3 grade 8 bolts hold it all on the tractor.

Here is the back of the top link with the 1/2" bolt locking it to the bucket.

This top link is supported by the angle piece welded to the 3/4" plate. This takes a substantial amount of pressure off the top edge of the bucket. You can see the bottom center section of plow mount off the chevy welded to the 3/4" bar. There is nothing touching the cutting edge of the bucket and I can tilt it down to remove the chain from the top link.

I am going to plug the hydraulic lines into the bucket tilt remotes. That way I can angle the plow and lift it up to the fullest for some really tall snowpiles!! I will be able to pull the pins and chain then switch the lines back to the bucket and use the bucket alone. so the plow will quick attach to the bucket and the plow mount is quick attach by 3 bolts. Can't get much easier.

To show it in real time, and you can see the bucket has no flex at the end of the video.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: quick attach snowplow mount.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »
Nice! XJ, I think you're the King of DIY'ers.  ;D
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Now that is pretty slick.....great thinking.
Congrats
Let us know how it works.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »
Looks like you did a good job figuring that one out. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »
Nice! XJ, I think you're the King of DIY'ers.  ;D

When it comes to metal anyway. I learned that cutting oil makes a huge difference in keeping drills sharp and Cobalt is the way to go!!

Now that is pretty slick.....great thinking.
Congrats
Let us know how it works.

Will do. I'm a little concerned about the mounts on the back of the bucket fatiguing the welds. I'll need to rely on the plow shoes when pushing snow to keep the stress off them. I was hoping to control height by arm cylinders but I'm not going to risk it.There is no stress on those brackets when the plow is resting on the ground, only while lifted.

Looks like you did a good job figuring that one out. 

Thank you.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:42:18 AM »
Great build !
You gonna put in a pressure relief/bypass in the hydraulics in case the plow hits something solid ?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:21:46 AM »
I don't think so. The bottom cutting edge flips backwards when it hits something. Not sure what plow it is. My old fisher the whole blade would tilt forward and jump over.

My driveway and front lawn is very flat and mostly sand so there isn't much to worry about.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
OOOPS!! I think the last 15 feet of wire on the 10lbs spool was without flux. The setting could have been too low too. Anyway the small square pulled right off the plate.

So I decided to give it more beef and triangulate the top link to lessen the pull on the bucket even more. I used the snow plow fittings for quick release hoses up front. This way I can plug in the log splitter up there as soon as I build it...

I had to order the ends that plug into the tractor because no one had them, be here Saturday. This top bar is almost 1" thick and has that natural curve in it. I think it was once a draw bar. Most of the down pressure is right on the large 3/4" bar in the bucket, with a little lift on the back of the top edge. It still comes off by just the three bolts. That weld still looks sketchy, especially on the angle at the top.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Neat! You really have a talent for metal fabrication.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »
Thank you. I enjoy it. I am really bummed that the four ends I ordered online were wrong. I got the two right ones from a John Deere dealer and find they are 3/8" JIC fittings and I have 1/4" NPT hose ends. So $16 more for some mixed up fittings and I now have full angling capabilities. I pushed a huge pile of dirt from the pond effortlessly today. I changed the antifreeze and added air to the front tires. I think I'm ready for snow.

All they had for male 3/8" JIC were a 90* angle to 1/2" male NPT, so I grabbed a 1/2" female to 1/4" female pipe fitting.

Then a 3/8" male jic to 3/8" male NPT, so again a 3/8" female NPT to a 1/4"female NPT.

I had to loosen the hose bracket and move it in toward the tractor to gt that straight pipe setup to line up. The loader mount was in the way.

I'll get some video.