Author Topic: Robt Klaas folding knife  (Read 793 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
Robt Klaas folding knife
« on: January 31, 2022, 09:33:49 AM »
Lately I have been carrying the knife in the first two photos just to rotate things.  There isn't much use this time of year for it but cutting twine and opening cans just for fun.  It is a Robt. Klaas Kissing Cranes stainless folder with an assortment of tools.  Two cutting blades, an awl, cork screw, can opener, and bottle opener/screw driver.  It is, for me, a reminder of my old Boy Scout knife the grade school Principal took away from me when I took it to Show and Tell in the 4th grade. The knife steel is some kind of stainless and is awfully easy to sharpen so it is probably a Rockwell of less than 57 or so.  Stag handles and a metal loop for attaching a lanyard.  I bought this from a woman at a local flea market about ten years ago and have never really used it.  I was browsing the net the other day and saw the knife in the third photo.  It is in a museum in England.  Attributed to the Roman Army, it was excavated somewhere in Italy and dates to the Roman empire time.  A knife with a spoon and fork, a cutting blade and what looks like an awl and a pick of some sort on the right side. The cutting blade is kind of missing but there are other examples that show a blade with a long cutting edge and not much of a point.  Some of the knife is brass or bronze and the blade was steel and is the dark piece that has rusted away. 

The Roman knife:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
Re: Robt Klaas folding knife
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 09:45:51 AM »
Very interesting reading. Thank you.

Never seen anything like the Roman example. Any idea of the time period?

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 02:07:38 PM »
No idea of the time period other than Roman soldiers used them from what the archeologists say.  There
 are a few of them in museums and some are in better condition that this one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 12:10:55 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 04:47:39 AM »
Nice knife Stan.  It sure does bring back fond memories of Scouting days.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 07:09:19 AM »
The site Imperium Romanum has a pic of the same or very similar Roman knife they date as 3rd century CE displayed, as noted in the op, in a museum. Fascinating.

The modern find seems more practical though. Great topic