Author Topic: DIY RELOADING BENCH PLAN  (Read 2146 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
DIY RELOADING BENCH PLAN
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »
I have been around a lot of less than satisfactory reloading benches in my day.  A couple of them I even built for myself! :P.   This one, however, is the absolute best I have ever seen before or since.  The front bench edge takes a LOT of abuse on any of them, but this one is rock solid and will stand up to anything, I guarantee it!  If you use nothing else in the plan, be sure to study the benchtop detail and copy it exactly when you build your first (and last) reloading bench.  WOLFY APPROVED! :thumbsup:

https://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:42:39 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
Re: Reloading bench plans
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »
Wolfy, you poked the wrong button.  That's a url link, not an image.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: DIY RELOADING BENCH PLAN
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
I tried to get the image to work, but no luck. :shrug:  :P

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
I tried to get the image to work, but no luck. :shrug:  :P

Works now.  Nice bench.  Thanks for adding to my library.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »
Good design.  If I needed another bench that would be a good one to build.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
Thanks Wolfy, very nice reloading bench.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
Wish I had room for that.  My only comcern is putting a powder scale on that suspended shelf.  Might not be level or it might be subject to vibration.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:24:51 PM »
I took pains to insure my shelf was dead-nuts level when I built it.....the little chain that supports it on the right side is screwed in place on the shelf and the cabinet side.  The nice thing is, the shelf is at eye-level which prevents any parallax when reading the pointer on the beam of the scale.  Look at that materials list.  It's overbuilt and HEAVY.....it ain't goin' nowhere.  It was a task for my brother and I to get it pushed into place in the corner of my basement.  Believe me....there will be NO vibration!

I have to emphasize that this thing is built like a brick house and I don't think you could destroy it if you tried.  My brother and I were reforming some .348 Winchester brass into .43 Spanish cartridges for my Peabody rifle before they started making brass again in that chambering.  That process involved pushing a well-lubed .348 case FULLY into a .43 Spanish full length re-sizing die, so the head of the case was flush with the opening in the die.  We put a pipe cap over the top of the ram on the press, so we could get it pushed in all the way.   After that was accomplished by putting full body weight on the RCBS Rockchucker's lever and pounding the case back out of the die via a 3/8" rod and dead-blow hammer, we had a case that would chamber in the Peabody.....a LOT of work to get an old rifle shooting again! 

I forgot to add, that we bent the ram on that Rockchucker, but since they are guaranteed for life we got it replaced.  I told them that it was my fault and offered to pay for a new one, but RCBS stood by their word and sent a replacement.  That's a good ol' MADE IN THE USA guarantee! :thumbsup:

A long story to illustrate the abuse that this heavy bench design withstood and it never even wiggled!  No flexing of the front edge of the bench, whatsoever!  I've seen bench tops made from 2X10 planks lag-screwed to their frames that came loose or split from reloading operations much less severe than what we subjected this bench to.  It's just well designed and built to take whatever abuse you dare to dish out.  It's HEAVY and the first thing I'd hide under if a tornado was coming......maybe even a zombie attack! :lol:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:32:34 PM by wolfy »

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »
Great plan for those that like to put their bench to some hard work.
Nice find.

Base is similar to mine....
Thanks for posting.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Icepick15

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »
I'll second what Wolfy said.  I don't have one, but one of my brothers built that bench about 25 or so years ago.  I think there's a possibility that if you Googled "solid" a picture of that bench would pop up.  It's probably strong enough to rebuild a 327 Chevy engine on it.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
Another satisfied user.......Thanks for the review Icepick! :thumbsup:

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
It does look nice.
So when you guys made yours did you follow the sizes suggested or did you modify.

Or what would you change now

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »
Would really be nice to build one from a set of plans,.....new lumber,  and new bolts, screws etc....
But at the time.
Mine was built with what I had on hand at the time....Pallets.

Tore down a few, used the 2 X 4" as legs and bracing, full pallet for a top.
Added a shelf on the bottom braces....and two 3/4 pieces of plywood for the top....so over 2" thick top.
Old 2 shelf book shelf from curb made back shelf.

It is solid...and the presses are bolted all the way thru.

If you do Google "Loading benches".....Lots of very cool set ups...

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
It does look nice.
So when you guys made yours did you follow the sizes suggested or did you modify.

Or what would you change now

About the only thing I modified was the cabinet.  There is enough 'waste' material there to do nice half-lap joints on the outside corners of the main case and dados for the center uprights to fit into interior's top and bottom.  I also cut dados for the middle shelves to fit into the uprights.  The hardware for the shelf-supports can also be dadoed into the cabinet sides so there is no gap between the shelf edges and the cabinet sides.  All it takes is a little forethought before cutting the plywood to allow for the extra length for the lap joints.  There's plenty of wood there to do it and it looks better than plain old butt joints.

You only need one small length of chain on one side of the foldout cabinet shelf to keep it level....it's enough because the powder scale doesn't weigh that much and getting two chains to carry an equal amount of weight would be nigh on to impossible.  The piano hinge really makes for a nice base for this bench door.

I put a sheet of plexiglass on the top to finish it off......makes a very nice benchtop that keeps the varnish from getting all nicked and scratched up.  I put a light strip behind the back of the front benchtop support to light the interior of the cavernous area there, too.......makes it a lot handier for finding things.  I was always going to add some big drawers in that recess, but never got around to it.  I added a multi-plugin strip to the outside of one of the end pieces to allow for plugging in case-trimmers, Dremel tools, etc.  That's about it, I think.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »
Those sneaky rats keep changing these links on me, but I'm a master of sneakiness, too 8)

Here's a link to the reloading bench plans on the OP that works.....

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:08 AM »
Those sneaky rats keep changing these links on me, but I'm a master of sneakiness, too 8)

Here's a link to the reloading bench plans on the OP that works.....

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

Thanks Bud,  I couldn't get your other link to work, but the one above works fine,  if you remember I posted about my new work shop and reloading station that I built over the winter about six years ago,  at the time I still had my number one model Remington Rolling block in 45/90 bottle neck/.450 Alaskan, that also took .348 brass that had to be expanded to accept .45 cal. cast heads,  so I needed to build my bench to handle the stress,  I also use a RCBS Rock Chucker and ended up snapping the original handle in half reforming that brass.
  Anyhow, my bench is almost identical to the one you pictured except I used 2"x 6" finished planks for the bench top and the sides of my bench are 3/4" marine plywood (only 'cause I had it handy) and extend all the way to the floor,  the shelf unit on my bench is made of finished pine and has no doors,  the whole thing is put together with glue and wood screws, and the bench is lagged to my Basement wall. 
  I'll tell ya, after allot of years of loading off my old shop work bench,  it was sure fine living to have an organized  dedicated loading bench to work off of. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.