Author Topic: Neat chanisaw video  (Read 1269 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Neat chanisaw video
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
This guy builds a bench with a chainsaw. some of the cuts make me cringe a bit...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Neat chanisaw video
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
Some of those cuts are "cringeworthy". 

I suppose it is a good primitive bench design. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »
Looks like it would have great LUMBAR support!  :popcorn:     I wonder if this guy might be one of those 'lumbersexuals' we've been talking about? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
Rather lean in the safety minded category. Odd that the still pic shows a guy in boots and some sort of long pants( maybe not cut proof though)

Weird hatchet too.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
Stihl? That's so 90's.

I think since there was a groove down the bottom side , the base logs should have had a pyramid shape to lock into that for support. I watched some of the other suggested videos as well. I don't think I could "use up" my chain doing this stuff. I put a lot of effort into keeping my chain in mint condition and ready to work.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
What's the right kind to have XJ?

I think you're right. The feet should have been better, more joinery like

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
I was just poking fun at the Stihl. It's an excellent saw. pricey. I own a Jonesred which is actually a Husqvarna. Cheaper, yet still high quality.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »
I have both a Stihl  and a Husky. Both 24" bars. The Husky was worked over for a professional firewood cutter before I got it, and it screams! 
Comparing the two...there's no comparison.  The Stihl is lighter, more ergonomic, and unlike the Husky, not every nut is a different size!  :-\  With the Husky, I have to carry a tool box. The Stihl can be broken down (change chains, bar, plug, etc.) with nothing but the chainsaw wrench/screw drive tool.
IMO, the Husqvarna  is the Harley Davidson of chainsaws, while the Stihl is the Yamaha.  Them that have 'em, love 'em. Them that had 'em...it's past tense for a reason.

...And I can't see what you guys are talking about "cringe factor" in that video. The guy's a little sloppy with his cuts, but hey, it's a chainsaw not a Shopsmith. Personally, I liked his dovetail cuts. :)
It really has always cracked me up how some "instructables" show guys dressed up like refugees from the H.A.L.O. video game, and swear you're gonna loose a leg if you aren't wearing body armor.  :lol:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »
Cool! You can pay their med bills!

You can tell from the dudes cuts that he ain't good with a saw. There is some established safety gear that is well advised to be used. Do you let your sons get out and play around like that?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:56:45 PM »

You can tell from the dudes cuts that he ain't good with a saw. There is some established safety gear that is well advised to be used. Do you let your sons get out and play around like that?
When either of my sons use the chainsaws, it's to do work, not "play".

Do you wear safety goggles and ear protection when you mow your lawn?  It's recommended, you know.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
I do and a face mask to filter out the dust too.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »

Do you wear safety goggles and ear protection when you mow your lawn?  It's recommended, you know.

Ya got me, in that I do not always wear every piece of safety gear that might be recommended in every endeavor.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »

Ya got me, in that I do not always wear every piece of safety gear that might be recommended in every endeavor.

Yeah, me neither. That's how I ended up with grandkids to tell stories to.... :-\