Author Topic: Someone left a campfire burning a few hundred feet from my house!  (Read 146 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
This morning, one of our neighbors asked my wife if we were ok, and said they saw an ambulance and fire truck up at the end of our driveway at 3 AM last night. We asked around and one of my friends who works with the fire department told me he was up putting it out last night. He described it as an "unattended camp fire". It wasn't just a fire someone failed to fully extinguish. It was a fire they just completely abandoned while it was still burning.

My guess is it was a bunch of kids out way past their bedtime and when the parents finally got in touch with them to demand they go home, they probably were in too much of a hurry to put it out. (Or at least, that's one of the more plausible explanations I can come up with.)

Not very cool considering the dry conditions around here.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
Re: Someone left a campfire burning a few hundred feet from my house!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »
I'm glad to hear you did not suffer from it.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:31:39 AM »
Glad you're OK.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »
That's how a lot start.  Doesn't make any sense as it takes 10 seconds to put it out with the dirt and sand around the fire.  Glad it wasn't worse for you
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
sounds like a close call, glad nothing bad happend.