Author Topic: Friction Fire Fellowship  (Read 129401 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Friction Fire Fellowship
« Reply #500 on: August 11, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
Well done MFN30!  I got you added to the group.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
Thanks for posting Carson,  really dig how the quality in those photos.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #502 on: August 11, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »
Congrats MFN30!
:D
:thumbsup:

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MilesFromNowhere30

• Mill File+
« Reply #503 on: August 11, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
Miles,
A) nice job
B) now I want to go play with my trail hawk
3) Welcome.

Tell me more about this trail hawk? I like sharp things :)

Offline MilesFromNowhere30

• Mill File+
« Reply #504 on: August 11, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »

Offline Carson

• Whetstone +
« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
Thanks all!

I am hoping my initiation will be in two weeks. I don't think I'll be documenting it, but myself and a couple of other guys are going to jointly give it a shot.

Punty I'm sure you will be successful in your friction fire endeavor. Now that you have set your mind to it you will get your fire by this acient method. I think the biggest hurdle is just deciding to go for it.

The two things that took me the longest to make the kit was first making a bow to run the spindle. I wanted something that not only worked well but would last as part of a long term kit. Finding the right wood and the perfect branch, cutting it down took about as long as carving out the bow in this picture. I used the tool I will normally have with me on a long hike or backpack, a small thin blade. With other essentials I like to keep the load nice and light as possible. 

The bearing has always been one of the more difficult pieces until I found that shell. That really changed things, freed up the spindle speed. The rest of the kit, the base board and the spindle went very quickly.

Getting a flame after setting it all up took less than a minute. I really think anyone can do this if they find workable materials. I'm going down to the river tomorrow and find some long thin spindle material and try another hand drill. I know some plants that are just perfect for hand drills or bow drill spindles. Time to get some more calluses built up. LOL

Thanks for posting Carson,  really dig how the quality in those photos.

JTD, thanks! I thought the images could have been better but I'm glad they came out as good as they did. LOL
Nor had I erred in my calculations, nor had I endured in vain. I at length felt that I was free. -Edgar Allen Poe

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #506 on: August 13, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »
Miles,
A) nice job
B) now I want to go play with my trail hawk
3) Welcome.

Tell me more about this trail hawk? I like sharp things :)
the cold steel trail hawk, tomahawk . About $20. Good as is & fun to mod.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
Nice job Carson.

The shell is very cool. I've been looking for something like that. Natural, Lightweight, Easy to make. Going to have to see what I can come up with.

Good choice of blade too. I've had a few YP blades. I sold two and have two now. -so yeah, really like them a lot.

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #508 on: July 01, 2016, 06:33:03 AM »
So a few nights I go I attempted my second bow drill fire. My first I tried a few years ago and was unsuccessful.  I think it may of had something to do with my dog taking my spindle when I went to go looK for a branch to make the bow.

So I was hiking and found a nice piece of sugar maple, Soni cut a piece off and brought it home.

Then I went to work on it.

Carved the bark off and set it asside. And began splitting

Once that was done, I carved my spindle, hearth board and such.

Then I began to spin up a coal. As I was working the bow it was smoking good, but the string began to ride high near the bearing block. So I decided to stop and reposition and the ember was smoking, so I decided to blow on it slightly. 

I was going to grill that evening, so I decided to make the fire in my gril.

I couldn't get a pic of me blowing the ember to a flame, bease in was blowing the ember to flame. I had a small bird nest of cedar bark. If that makes this not count, then so be it. I know I did it and it was freaking awesome!!

So there you have it. My first successful bow drill.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #509 on: July 01, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
Nice goin,' treez!  :thumbsup:    I'd say congratulations are in order. :hail: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #510 on: July 01, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
Thanks! When I have time I am going to try and get a video of me doing ad well.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #511 on: July 01, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #512 on: July 04, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
So when I hit the button to join the "Friction Fire Fellowship" there isn't a prompt or anyplace to say what post #. Like in my case it was post #508 i think.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #513 on: July 04, 2016, 02:49:24 PM »
So when I hit the button to join the "Friction Fire Fellowship" there isn't a prompt or anyplace to say what post #. Like in my case it was post #508 i think.

I checked your profile and it looks like you are part of the FFF member group already when I am logged in as an Admin, but it doesn't show up when logged in as a regular member. I made the FFF your primary member group and moved your supporting member group to the additional groups category. Let me know if everything still works as it should with your account and if not, we will try a different approach.

FFF member list

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #514 on: July 05, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »

I checked your profile and it looks like you are part of the FFF member group already when I am logged in as an Admin, but it doesn't show up when logged in as a regular member. I made the FFF your primary member group and moved your supporting member group to the additional groups category. Let me know if everything still works as it should with your account and if not, we will try a different approach.

FFF member list

Thanks PW! Yeah everything seems to be working on my end.