Author Topic: My survival kit  (Read 2164 times)

Offline kellyO

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
My survival kit
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:24:47 AM »
I made this survival kit and I was wanting your opinions. I chose items that are compact and can withstand more than one use. For each item, I've given its brand, make, description, price and photo. The kit is designed for 72 hours, but also as a 24 hour kit (hence, the food and water in it). Every item was purchased in local army navy surplus stores (I believe in shopping local) as well as supermarkets like Coles and Woolworth.
Gerber Strong Arm Coyote Brown Fixed Blade: a good all round full tang knife. Although I've yet to test it, it does have good reviews on youtube. Price: AUD$129.00
DETAILS:
  • Blade material: 420HC
    Handle material: glass-filled nylon with rubber overmold
    Blade length: 4.8? (12.2 cm)
    Overall length: 9.8? (24.8 cm)
    Knife weight: 7.2 oz (204 g)
    Overall weight: 10.9 oz (309 g)
    Nylon webbing for drop-leg carry and secondary retention
    Detachable belt hoops for horizontal belt carry
    Snap-in MOLLE strap
    Limited lifetime warranty
    Made in USA
Evian 300ml bottle of spring water. Price: AUD$2.00
Maggi pack of 2 minute noodles w/ flavour sachet. Price: AUD$2.00
TAS green mosquito headnet w/ drawstring for neck. Intend to replace with a black coloured net as the green colour is irritating to wear and see during the daylight. Price: AUD$8.00
Colgate tube of sample toothpaste. Price: free from dentist
Colgate toothbrush case. Price: AUD$3.00
Colgate toothbrush. Price: $3.00
Coles brand tooth picks x 4. price: AUD$5.00 for a pack of 30
Colgate floss wrapped around a spool. Price: AUD$3.00
Sea to Summit titanium spoon. Price: AUD$9.50
And I'm too lazy to the rest. Total price came to a bit over AUD$500. I have one in my car, at work in my desk, and I carry one when I go camping on my belt.
Link to the photos and rest of gear list: https://imgur.com/a/1oAlL

Apologise for the low res photos. my phone is in repair

EDIT: I didn't mention there's a Fox 40 whistle in the kit. It can be seen partly behind the mess tin in the photos. I also added a ferro rod today. Appreciate the feedback btw.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:02:04 PM by kellyO »

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Re: My survival kit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:59 AM »
Hi Kelly. It will be best to consider this an incomplete response.

If I understand, looks like you have 1 serving of noodles and 300ml of water for initial use. If it's 72hr. Having at least 1 meal per day would be nice. Consider what your diet looks like now. If you have sugar and caffeine everyday for example; you won't want to be "detoxing" from those in a stressful situation.

If it is correct that you have only 300ml water at hand, you might consider upping that to 2 liters. Even though you have provisions to get more, you may or may not be able. A couple of full, light weight  easy to carry containers are good to have.

Since you use same type, color container for match and water tabs, I'd mark one or the other so you can tell by sight, and feel which is which without opening. For instance a few wraps of electrical tape.
Welcome to B&B
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome.....From Wisconsin..

Seems you are real detailed in your choice of knife.....and dental hygiene.
Then kinda just a list of ..."oh yeah...a bunch of other stuff."

I would include more water, fire shelter, FAK...
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
Welcome.  You might want to go to the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

You need more food and water.  A small tarp of some kind would be handy. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »
If this is an urban kit, 5 qt is a lot of water. fill then go. 300ml like 20 oz? Not bad for a few hours go time.

I'd forgo the cook food and get some high energy per oz packaged food. Like peanut butter, Crackers, chocolate, energy bars, and drink flavor packets.

You're in Australia so the knife is probably legal. In NY it's a deadly weapon, regardless how you're using it. I much prefer a victorinox pocket knife or a leatherman multi tool.

I would also lose the matches for a lighter and a small ferro rod. Open that match case in a downpour and they're shot pretty quick.

Great packaging and organization. nice and compact. all usable items no worries. Just a few suggestions from my insanity.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline kellyO

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:39:16 PM »
Welcome.  You might want to go to the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

You need more food and water.  A small tarp of some kind would be handy.
I don't know if you saw it, but I have an Auscam poncho measuring 127CM (W) X 203CM (H) included in the kit (it's in the imgur link photos).  I've hole punched a hole in each corner and reinforced it with gorilla tape and a grommet. This allows me to set it up like a tarp by threading paracord through the grommet.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »
I didn't see it.  Thanks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »
If this is an urban kit, 5 qt is a lot of water. fill then go. 300ml like 20 oz? Not bad for a few hours go time.

I'd forgo the cook food and get some high energy per oz packaged food. Like peanut butter, Crackers, chocolate, energy bars, and drink flavor packets.

You're in Australia so the knife is probably legal. In NY it's a deadly weapon, regardless how you're using it. I much prefer a victorinox pocket knife or a leatherman multi tool.

I would also lose the matches for a lighter and a small ferro rod. Open that match case in a downpour and they're shot pretty quick.

Great packaging and organization. nice and compact. all usable items no worries. Just a few suggestions from my insanity.

I think your right. It's easier, and a safer bet to not rely on cooking.  I think I like the 5qt. Canteen. Im not familiar with it. It'll hold a gallon without being filled to the brim and is collapsible. Was I wrong assuming this is in the kit empty? So far I agree with all recommendations.
How about a SAK or multi-tool.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »
In the kit empty yes, But at the mall, store, work, or home it would be easy to fill it up before bugging.  Perhaps the destination is known for good water?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
In the kit empty yes, But at the mall, store, work, or home it would be easy to fill it up before bugging.  Perhaps the destination is known for good water?

If you were truly "bugging out"....I would think you wouldn't want to have to....stop the store on your way out of town....?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
Store? you realize any faucet has potable water right? If it's provided by a municipality it's treated and safe. Probably boil it anyway...

I think it's a decent kit.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
Store? you realize any faucet has potable water right? If it's provided by a municipality it's treated and safe. Probably boil it anyway...

I think it's a decent kit.

Kinda sounded like "empty kit"...to fill up from mall work or store....
Oh well........

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
I have to admit when I first read kellyO's post I pictured/imagined my own rather large collapsible container, even though I read 5qt, and with a little scifern can determine the number of ounces it didn't quite sink in until a bit later.

I do like the nalgene GI style canteens, but would like them even more if they were larger capacity. Overall I think those may be my favorite containers. Some of the collapsible types are nice enough but I've had leaks and some are hard to clean...which is not so much a big deal with water only

I agree with hunter, if the kit is at the office, in the vehicle, or at home; I would fill it up.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »
the nutters are restless

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 07:32:22 AM »
Hi Kelly O,
I like your kit design and packaging very much.
I'm guessing it matches your needs in whatever area of Australia you are in.
I like the idea of the really big water container.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline kellyO

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 02:55:46 AM »
Hi Kelly O,
It's designed for anywhere in Australia, but with a focus on the gold coast/sunshine coast regions, both of which are renowned for their fast flowing fresh water creeks. My plan is: (1) to set up the tarp; (2) get a fire going to boil the water in the mess tins, and let it cool; (3) pour the water into the 5 quart collapsible canteen. I don't intend to move until I'm rescued.
For clarification (replying to other posts), I keep copies of the kit at three different locations because the kit is designed to complement my general hiking bag. It's also designed as a last ditch kit.

Offline kellyO

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 03:07:48 AM »
For those asking about the 5 quart canteen: it is a US issue bladder designed for service in Vietnam. Information here: http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_canteen_5qt.php
The particular one I have may be a reproduction, but I'm unsure. The canteens are rather rare, though they are readily available on ebay for under AUD$30 including shipping. https://www.amazon.com/ORIGINAL-COLLAPSIBLE-CANTEEN-WATER-CARRIER/dp/B071YDR39K

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 05:36:04 AM »
kelly'o first welcome to the fourm.
i see you care about dental hygene and that is good.
here are some other ideas for your kit.
more food,at least 3,ways to start a fire,a good bush knife,
a first aid kit,more food,salt and electrolytes.
a headlamp/flashlight would be good. some para cord.
just a few ideas that's all.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »
kellyO, I don't know if you guy's ahve a dollar store where everything is a dollar. I picked up a dynamo flashlight. It gives light as you spin the little mechanism and charges the little battery. I've used it for 30 minutes on a 2 minute charge up. Not bright but infinite.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
For those asking about the 5 quart canteen: it is a US issue bladder designed for service in Vietnam. Information here: http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_canteen_5qt.php
The particular one I have may be a reproduction, but I'm unsure. The canteens are rather rare, though they are readily available on ebay for under AUD$30 including shipping. https://www.amazon.com/ORIGINAL-COLLAPSIBLE-CANTEEN-WATER-CARRIER/dp/B071YDR39K

The vintage concerns me. It would be hard to rely on such old vinyl or whatever plastic the bladder is made of.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
Hi Kelly O,
It's designed for anywhere in Australia, but with a focus on the gold coast/sunshine coast regions, both of which are renowned for their fast flowing fresh water creeks. My plan is: (1) to set up the tarp; (2) get a fire going to boil the water in the mess tins, and let it cool; (3) pour the water into the 5 quart collapsible canteen. I don't intend to move until I'm rescued.
For clarification (replying to other posts), I keep copies of the kit at three different locations because the kit is designed to complement my general hiking bag. It's also designed as a last ditch kit.

What kind of event (s) are you preparing for or against ?

It's been my experience that a lot of people get caught up in the survivalist/prepper movement,  they build kits based on theory and misinformation and think they have all the bases covered,  most never attempt to use their kits in actual practice.
 Those that do keep go-bags and have lived out of them in emergencies will have in short order refined their kits to actually meet their needs,  those that put a bunch of stuff together, never test it or themselves and think they are covered are usually disappointed and uncomfortable at best, and a statistic at worst.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.