Author Topic: The Wildlife Thread  (Read 139505 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
The Wildlife Thread
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »
I didn't know whether to put this here, or in the Outings thread, but here goes....

This is a place to share your photos and tales of your encounters with our furry (and feathered) friends while out and about, or sitting on your back porch.

I've had many memorable meetings over the years. Hand feeding a wild skunk my breakfast bacon on the Olympic Peninsula, holding a handful of grass while a porcupine nibbled on it in the Methow Valley, hand feeding potato chips to a 4-point buck at a remote campsite along the Chiwawa River.  I've watched a bald eagle steal the fish from a Swainson's hawk in mid air. I've seen a red tail hawk do a summersault and inihilate a harrassing crow without loosing altitude.

I don't get out on photo expeditions that much these days, with other demands on my time, but wildlife photography, and just observing is one of my passions.

To start things off, here's my favorite portrait from recently. It's been posted before, so please bear with me.

This fellow decided my bird feeder was his private take-out cart.

So what "close encounters" stand out in your memory?
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: The Wildlife Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
Nice photos!   I never seem to have a camera on me when the animals are posing.  :S   Is the deer in a shed or something?  Its fur looks different...

I was going to ask the powers that be if they'd put in a wildlife/ wildplant forum area.   Hubby came across a critter in the driveway yesterday and I wanted to ask about it.    But I didnt know where to post it. 

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
When I was a teen, my girlfriend and I grabbed some McDonald's and headed to a nearby park.  We weren't that far from the main gate, and stopped in a small lot to eat before it got cold.  We were talking and I looked over at her because she stopped mid-sentence.  Her eyes were the size of a Que Ball, looking just over my shoulder.  I turned my head to see what was going on....and brushed my nose on the doe that had stuck her head in the window and was eating some of my fries.

She pulled her head back out, but stayed right next to my window.  She didn't try to grab any unless I held it in my hand instead of taking it out of the container and straight to my mouth.  If there was a fry in my hand and I was talking, she would stick her head back in the window.  We got done and she sniffed my ear.  I gave her a pat and we were on our way!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
This archery season I had good sneak on a bedded buck during a high wind storm.  I had spotted him driving up my driveway and the way the terrain lay and the wind was blowing; my mind already had him mounted on the wall and had eaten all the tenderloin.  When I crept up close to the tree where he was laying I could see antlers and ears but that is all.  The wind was blowing about thirty mph and when it would gust it was probably about 40.  I was going to crawl a few more feet and try to grunt to get him to stand up.  I looked down at my bowstring as I was putting on the release and when I looked back up he was running at full speed about fifteen yards from where I was standing.  I watched him take his tenderloins and antlers over the hill to my neighbors place and never saw him again during the season.  Maybe next year.  Here is a photo of him from the year before when he would come in after the season was over.  I guess he is my nemisis. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:33:38 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Nice photos!   I never seem to have a camera on me when the animals are posing.  :S   Is the deer in a shed or something?  Its fur looks different...

I was going to ask the powers that be if they'd put in a wildlife/ wildplant forum area.   Hubby came across a critter in the driveway yesterday and I wanted to ask about it.    But I didnt know where to post it. 

WW.
The doe was shedding her winter coat. Looks a bit ratty, huh?
Did you get a picture of the 'critter' in the driveway? How well can you/he describe it?  If it's alive, and wild, I guess it can go here. Hehehe.

Dano, your experience with the park-tame deer reminds me of feeding the bison at a wildlife refuge once. I can see why the pioneers ate 'buffalo tongue', because I swear the tongue that bull stuck through the open van window was over a foot long!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
...  Maybe next year.  Here is a photo of him from the year before when he would come in after the season was over.  I guess he is my nemisis. 

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/stantdm/IMG_1253.jpg
He didn't get that big by being stupid. <wink>

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
Here's a sharp-shinned hawk I saw in Aliso and Woods Canyon Park.  I had the camera on full zoom.  The little bugger took-off when I took the next step to get closer.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
I love the raptors, but it's sure hard to get good photos. Great you got a good look at him!

I tell myself every time I leave the house to remember me camera. Sometimes I fail to listen.
Yesterday I made a quick run to town, and when I arrived back home there were two deer standing under my apple trees. One was a yearling, and vaulted the fence to avoid me as I pull the car in.
The other was "mama". She cast me a sideways glance, and then continued munching on some really sad apples I'd knocked out of the tree earlier.
So here I am with an armload of grocery sacks, and no camera. I started playing the old stalking game with her. Every time she drop her head to the ground to get an apple, I'd take a few quick steps toward the gate. She'd pop up and look around after a few seconds, at which point I'd already be frozen in my tracks. A deer can't see squat when it's head is down browsing, so they look up every few seconds to check for threats. Most deer have their own cycle. With some it's down 5 seconds, up to survey, down for 5 again. Some will take up to 15 seconds between checks. This gal was running about 6-7 seconds. So I'd sneak toward her when her head was down, counting to 5, then freeze. She'd look up, see nothing moving, and go back to the apples. It was classic!
After about a minute I was at the gate, and she was still munching away about 15 feet from me. Now I had a problem. I had to get through the gate with an armload without scaring the daylights out of her. So I started whispering sweet nothings to her. She looked at me, blinked a couple of times and went back to the apples! Hahaha!  I eased through the gate talking to her all the while. With the gate fully open I stepped into the yard. That's when she decided I was close enough. Actually, I think the white grocery sacks are what spooked her more than I did.
She moved off about another 5 feet while I walked to the porch. As I climbed the stairs the front door opened and my wife stepped out. She spotted the doe and greeted her with, "Well, hello girl." That was it for the deer. She was now out numbered, and bounded over the 5' fence with a flip if her tail...the deer equivalent of flipping someone the bird.  ;D

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
Ha-ha!  That figures, Ol' P.  I never have my camera with me when I see something cool.  If I have the camera, I can't seem to get close enough to get a good shot.  I'm working on getting a decent SLR so I can take better shots.  I think your last sentence says it best:  "the deer equivalent of flipping someone the bird."  I think the hawk gave me the same when it flew off.  I also saw a couple of deer in the distance that day, but, again, I couldn't get close enough, and they trotted-off with the same tail flip.  Lousy nature! LOL.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:15 PM »
I just wish the stupid deer would leave my bird feeder alone. I have more grain on the ground under it than even the mice can clean up. The stand on their hind legs to reach it where it's hanging. Then they tip it to spill a bunch on the ground, take a lick or three, and leave the rest.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »
OP.  I did some checking and had hubby come verify.  We are pretty sure it was a Fisher.   But I've never heard of one before..and I dont think they are normally found around here.  But then again neither are moose and there was one in our yard last fall.   

What do you know about those animals?    From the little bit I read .. I need to keep an eye on my small dogs.   :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to the animals.      Last year when hubby was in the hospital for weeks, I was coming home every night and leaving early in the morning to get back to Hosp.   This was a 70 mile trip one way.   I was tired after days of this.

One morning I was loading up the car and after the third trip .. there she was.  A doe not even 20 feet from me.. watching me go back and forth.    I said.. " whoa..where did you come from?"    She twitched..
I said.. " cant visit this morning girl.. I'm in a hurry".    She was still there when I backed out of the yard.

I've had a wild Mallard female duck come up from the pond to follow me when I was tilling.. she was grabbing worms as fast as the tiller would throw them out.   At one point I had to stop the rotations and tell her to back off or her neck will get rung...  I thought I spooked her enought to leave.    After getting to the end of the row I turned and there she was.. in my footsteps..snarfin worms..  ha ha.   I named her Millie...  she would saunter in the garden when I was out there planting on other days.     

And on another.  I had a big Bald Eagle come land on one of the garden fence posts. About..oh.. 15 feet from me.  Never heard him/her fly in.  But I was busy.. on hands and knee's pulling weeds.   That screach of his/hers got my attention tho.  Holy crap I about split my skin.   LoL     Talked to it a few sentences and it tilted his/her head and off he/she flew.    My heart was just pounding... excitement and after shock.   :)

WW.   

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
Iv.e been up close to Moose they  so majestic. Now being up close & personal with the Bird of Freedom is Just plain Kool .I had the same feeling the first time I encountered a Wolf, looking into those grey eyes was like looking into a portal to hell. lt gives me the chill bumps thinking about it even now.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
The closest I've managed to get to eagles has been passing them on the road while they argued with the ravens over deer carcases. The bald eagles are neat enough, but twice I've come up on golden eagles having a roadside brunch. You gotta respect something that stands 3 feet tall flat footed and has a beak like a bale hook!! They say golden eagles don't get bigger than bald eagles, but I begs to differ on that one!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
OP.  I did some checking and had hubby come verify.  We are pretty sure it was a Fisher.   But I've never heard of one before..and I dont think they are normally found around here.  But then again neither are moose and there was one in our yard last fall....
I don't know a lot about fishers, but any weasel that can get 4 feet long and weigh 15 pounds gets my attention. I don't know about your puppies, but watch your chickens!
I take it your hubby saw it alive, and it left that way?  They're pretty rare to see, even in their prime ranges.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
Oh yes..  he met up with it on the hill of the driveway when he was going up to get the mail on the fourwheeler.  He said he chased it for about 1/4 of a mile.    He was a tad bit worried it would turn on him..' it was big, like an over grown weasle and all black'.

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Oh yes..  he met up with it on the hill of the driveway when he was going up to get the mail on the fourwheeler.  He said he chased it for about 1/4 of a mile.    He was a tad bit worried it would turn on him..' it was big, like an over grown weasle and all black'.

WW.
The one my partner saw in New Hampshire was black, too. I never got to see it.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:05 PM »
Saw this little guy on a walk last year.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »
PW..what is that?     

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
Looks like a horny toad to me :o
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »
Mmm...  peering closer... ya,  he kinda DOES have that glazed look in his eye................ ..   ;D

I had ta ask....

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Wolfy is correct. It's a "horny toad", or more precisely, a horned lizard. I actually had the specific species nailed down but it's been so long since I took the picture I forget what it was.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »
So Wolfy wasnt pullin my leg?   Sorry Wolfy.   :-[   

PW.. you got some odd looking critters down there.    Does this thing bite or is it dangerous?

I still think is has that 'look' to 'im........   ???

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
So Wolfy wasnt pullin my leg?   Sorry Wolfy.   :-[   

PW.. you got some odd looking critters down there.    Does this thing bite or is it dangerous?

I still think is has that 'look' to 'im........   ???

WW.

They're harmless as far as I know. Their excellent camouflage and the spines suggest passive defense.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »
Sorry I didn't have a more powerful zoom close as I  could get with a 3x  and being like 30 feet away from  him.  not sure  I think may be a peregrine falcon could be a hawk to  no clue still thought was  cool having  them so close to the house. We get a bunch of them around here to

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
He's got the perfect perch up there doesnt he?    :)

WW.

Offline Waya

• Mill File
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
Some Great Pics all :)
Here are a few I can share with you....These were taken in the Olympic Peninnsula, Quinault Valley to be exact....This fellow was munching on crab apples I believe....

I was about 100 yds away I think and used a digital zoom which is kind of grainy but still decent shots for my camera :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:42:04 PM by Waya »

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
Man, that bear must really like crabapples!  I've seen them climb trees for people food, but never out on a limb like a bird.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
Whoa...    BEAR!!

Didja eat 'im?

WW.

Offline Waya

• Mill File
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Here is a shot I got while walking along the beach one day....This beauty let me get within about 40 ft of him/her

Offline Waya

• Mill File
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 10:08:19 PM »
Nope didn't get to invite that one to dinner LOL....he was in the National Park so he was safe :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
Nice pix, Waya!  I guess that answers what lengths bears with go to for a snack, and what good climbers they are.
Thanks for sharing those, and that great shot of the eagle.

Offline Waya

• Mill File
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »
Thanks OP.....I loved taking pics of wildlife and scenery....have 100's of sunsets  on the ocean....and lots of poor quality ones of bears on feeding stations...they were taken with a Kodak Share or something....very limited...my late husband was a guide for hunting and we have LOTS of Pics....once I got my Olympus camera he just kept the Kodak in his truck all the time in case he saw something....which he usually did :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:44 PM »
The Olympics are a great place for observing wildlife. Keep those pictures coming!
I've prowled most of the peninsula, from Hurricane Ridge to Long Beach.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »
Okay, time for a quick bed time story.

Somebody once called me "the skunk whisperer". I don't know about that, but I think skunks are just awesome!
The first time I encountered a skunk, it was a deodorized pet. It was the coolest critter I'd ever seen. More easy going than a cat, craved less attention than a dog, and left no doubt in your mind that you were in ITS territory, by permission!  ;D

My second encounter was near the beginning of a month-long camping odyssey that took me from the northern tip of the Olympic Peninsula, down the entire coast of Oregon and on to the Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon along the Grand Canyon of the Snake River.

Short story long, I was camped at the mouth of the Waatch River at what is now Hobuck Campground. Back then it was just a slough on the Makah Reservation. There were no other campers, and the nearest shack was a mile away. I had the whole marsh to myself, or so I thought.

I got up one morning about dawn, and got a fire going. I built my fire pit a few feet from a big windfall so I could be close to the fire, and use the log as a back rest.  I got the coffee going, and put some bacon in the cast iron fry pan.

I was sitting there, watching some blue heron parade around the shallows through the morning mist, when I heard a rustling in the salal bushes on the other side of the log behind me.  I knew it couldn't be anything big, or scary, so I kept about my business, turning the sizzling bacon and enjoying the aroma. I could hear the rustling moving away from me, toward the end of the log. After a minute, or so, the sound stopped.

A few seconds later, I caught some movement in the corner of my eye at the end of the windfall. I glanced over and all I could see was this strange black thing sticking out and kind of twitching. Another few seconds, and a black muzzle appeared, followed by two beady black eyes. The skunk's nose was still twitching as it savored the smells coming from my frying pan.

I moved slowly, keeping an eye on the skunk, which was only about 10 feet from me, while I pulled the bacon and put it on my plate. The skunk continued to creep closer to this wonderful smell, and now it's entire body was on my side of the log.  I slowly picked up a piece of bacon, and took a bite, watching the skunk's reaction to my movement. The skunk looked at the fire and the pan, then looked up and stared right at me nibbling the bacon.

I started talking to my visitor as I broke off a bit of bacon and tossed it in its direction. It took a couple quick steps backward, and then cautiously approached the bacon on the ground. It grabbed the bacon in its paw like a raccoon, and hurried back around the end of the log.  Pretty soon it peeked out again, and I tossed another piece a bit closer to me. It came to the bacon, never taking it's eyes off me.

We kept up this dance until the first piece of bacon was gone. I broke off a new piece and tossed it about a foot from me. This time the skunk came over and ate the bacon without running off.  Over the next several minutes it became bolder. By the time I'd eaten three pieces of bacon, and the skunk had eaten two, it had its front paws up on my leg and was munching on the meat while I held it between my fingers.

I'd been talking softly most of the time, and when the bacon was all gone, I announced, "That's it, buddy. All gone."  It looked at me, licked its lips, dropped down and waddled off around the log again.

This happened over 50 years ago, but the memory i s still as clear as if it happened yesterday.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
That's an awesome memory OP, thanks for sharing it.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »
Here's a little spike buck I came across while on a little hike in the woods

Here's a doe on the same hike

And here's a little snapping turtle I came across while shore fishing

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline C3 Knives

• Water Stone
  • No moment in time is -Ordinary-!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »
Lot's of great pics in this one.  I saved a baby squirrel and raised her up to release age.  That was about two years ago and she still comes around now and then for a nut.  I had to nurse her and the whole nine yards.  Was a fun and interesting experience.

Her condo

Soon after release.

Not too long ago.

She will walk right up onto the back patio.

Forgot to add that I named her Squirrel Stew! My sick sense of humor.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:51:18 AM by C3 Knives »
C3 Knives-Hand Crafted For High Performance!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
She's a cute little bugger!!

Offline Waya

• Mill File
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »
Great Story OP...and nice pictures C3 and Outdoors :) Thanks for sharing them :)
When I lived in Washington I lived on the Quinault Indian Reservation, and one of my various jobs that I held with the tribe was Animal Control Officer. Well of course this was to try and control the dogs on the reservation, getting them vaccinated and licensed etc. But it also had several other faces...such as rescuing wildlife, rehabing animals etc.
In Dec. of 1988 there was a major oil spill just offshore and south of where we lived. (The Nestucca Oil Spill) Unfortunately this resulted in LOTS of oiled sea birds and wild life, not to mention the ecological damage. So on Christmas Eve (and for the following month) from about dawn to dusk I had to patrol the beaches of the Reservation (the majority of which are not accessible by roads except via long hikes) collecting oiled birds, dead or alive, and then transport them to the Command Center where they were cleaning those they could save, and keeping a tally of the mortalities. Most seabirds will not come on land unless they are sick anyways so if we saw one sitting on the beach we (myself and some volunteers) knew we had to catch it. We caught LOTS of birds including Common Murre's. Plovers, Sandpipers, Scoters, Grebe's and at least 1 Albatross, of course Seagulls and many others. The most interesting capture though was for some Bald Eagles. The eagles had been 'feeding' on the oiled birds and of course were getting oil on them that way, as we'll as ingesting some. Most of the birds we 'caught' were on land and catching them, although tricky, was not necessarily difficult. The eagles of course would not stay on land. So the Dept. of Wildlife and the Dept. of Ecology and I worked out a plan to where we would bait a certain area and we had 'cannon nets' set up to try and catch the eagles with. It worked and we caught 3 of them at one time :) All three were taken to rehabilitation so they could be cleaned and blood work done to look at the toxin levels in there system. All three were later released, right where we had captured them at. Handling these beautiful birds is very tricky as their talons are wickedly sharp, their feet are extremely strong and lets not forget about their powerful beaks. Once captured they are immediately 'hooded'. Once their eyes are covered they are totally calm and will not usually fight or struggle. I learned things that day that helped me out over the years when I had to transport other eagles and hawks for various reasons. I carry a 3 inch scar on my leg to remind me of these beautiful and powerful birds. And I would take a dozen more of those scars to help another one if it needed help.....next time I will tell you about the 'Oiled Sasquatch' rofl......

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
That skunk story is a good one OP.  I felt like I was there watching you feed it bacon.

My skunk story is less pleasant.  I have a live trap in my barn to keep the racoons from eating all the corn and grain we feed to our cattle.  I average about 65 of them a year.  One morning I went in the barn and there was a skunk in the cage.  I backed out real quick and went to the shop for a tarp.  Threw the tarp over the trap and hooked a twenty foot rope on it so I could drag in out of the barn and out into the farmyard.  I usually shoot them with a .22 but today I was carrying a big Colt single action.  When I got the skunk to a "good" spot. I flipped the trap over so the door would fall open and was waiting for it to come out.  When it did instead of running away from me like a racoon would do it ran at me!  They are fast.  I started shooting but its hard to hit anything when your running backward.  Turned out he wasn't after me he just wanted back in the barn and ran back in through the open door.  I had made him mad by then and he was spraying everything.  By the time I "harvested" him he had stunk the place up pretty good.  I didn't seem to smell all that bad so I went back to the house and my wife threw me out the door as soon as walked in the kitchen.  I could not get the smell out of the belt or wallet I was using so I had to throw them out.   The bank wasn't happy with the money I deposited either.  I've had other encounters with them in that barn but I learned my lesson and just drag em out and shoot em' downwind from the place while they are in the trap.  Kinda hard on the trap though.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
Great story, Waya! By the way, is there any Native American significance to your screen 'nym?

Lot's of great pics in this one.  I saved a baby squirrel and raised her up to release age.  That was about two years ago and she still comes around now and then for a nut.  I had to nurse her and the whole nine yards.  Was a fun and interesting experience....
Forgot to add that I named her Squirrel Stew! My sick sense of humor.
Great! We rescued a baby Douglas squirrel at a similar age. It had fallen out of the nest and broken its tail. We nursed it with an eyedropper and Similac baby formula. It grew up healthy and we released it in the backyard. Like "Squirrel Stew", it kept coming around for hand outs. I have some 35mm slides of it joining one of our BBQs where it would hop down onto a guests shoulder for a treat.
We worried about it over the first winter, but he came back to the patio the next Spring. The following Spring he showed up with what we took to be his new girlfriend! She hung back, but our buddy came over to say "good-bye", and then both disappeared for good.
That broken tail never did heal right, and made him very distinctive. His name was "Fuzz-butt". Hahaha.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
That skunk story is a good one OP.  I felt like I was there watching you feed it bacon.

My skunk story is less pleasant.  I have a live trap in my barn to keep the racoons from eating all the corn and grain we feed to our cattle.  I average about 65 of them a year.  One morning I went in the barn and there was a skunk in the cage.  I backed out real quick and went to the shop for a tarp.  Threw the tarp over the trap and hooked a twenty foot rope on it so I could drag in out of the barn and out into the farmyard.  I usually shoot them with a .22 but today I was carrying a big Colt single action.  When I got the skunk to a "good" spot. I flipped the trap over so the door would fall open and was waiting for it to come out.  When it did instead of running away from me like a racoon would do it ran at me!  They are fast.  I started shooting but its hard to hit anything when your running backward.  Turned out he wasn't after me he just wanted back in the barn and ran back in through the open door.  I had made him mad by then and he was spraying everything.  By the time I "harvested" him he had stunk the place up pretty good.  I didn't seem to smell all that bad so I went back to the house and my wife threw me out the door as soon as walked in the kitchen.  I could not get the smell out of the belt or wallet I was using so I had to throw them out.   The bank wasn't happy with the money I deposited either.  I've had other encounters with them in that barn but I learned my lesson and just drag em out and shoot em' downwind from the place while they are in the trap.  Kinda hard on the trap though.
ROFL! I can just see you back peddling and shooting at this attacking skunk.  :D   I'm betting it was a female, and probably trying to get back to her kits. I ended up live trapping and releasing almost a dozen from under my shed over a couple years. Too bad you threw out the gear. The absolute best, magical skunk odor remover is baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of dish soap as a wetting agent. It's amazingly effective.
Did you ever see my skunk trapping thread "elsewhere" awhile back?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »

I must have missed.  If I go to elsewhere I will search it up.

Thanks OP,

Stan

Oh I found it.  That was "cute", to say the least.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:30:37 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »

I must have missed.  If I go to elsewhere I will search it up.

Thanks OP,

Stan

Oh I found it.  That was "cute", to say the least.
That was quite the adventure. The rest of the story is about loaning my live trap to my friend. I may have posted this elsewhere, also.

He was having trouble with squirrels and "groundhogs". Actually the groundhogs were huge Golden Mantled Ground Squirrels, but hey...they were still digging up his gardens.

So he wants to borrow my trap after my skunk squatters were moved. I coached him on setting a 'blind set' with the trap along side his out building behind a sheet of plywood. Nothing the first night, then he noticed the trap was sprung the second morning.  He went down to check it, pulled the plywood away and there was a skunk in the trap!  Now, this just floored him because he had NEVER seen a skunk anywhere on his property before! He called me up and we discussed how to cover the trap and release the skunk elsewhere.  He called me back a few hours later asking for the "scent removal" formula. Hahahaha!
He waited a couple days and set the trap up in a different location closer to where the ground squirrels had been active.

I didn't hear from him for 3 days, when I got a call.
"I'll be dropping off your trap in a couple hours," he told me, "This damn thing is cursed! It's a skunk magnet!"  He'd caught a second skunk, got sprayed again, and was resigned to coexist with the squirrels!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
For those who never saw it elsewhere, this is one of the photos my son took while I was releasing some of the baby skunks. This little kid had to make sure I wasn't his momma before going to find the real one.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Ha  I  do remember  that story OP  still a cool pic to

Had a little visitor to my "shop" earlier  had a of a time trying to get a pic of it to

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »
LOL  Easy.. I was staring and staring at that pix wondering what the critter was... expecting a snake.  Couldnt find it...   then all of the sudden the Butterfly was 'there'....      :)

**knocing on wood**  We've been pretty good to be going with out skunks here on the farmhill.  Up the driveway I've seen a few...but not here in the yard.   **knocking twice to make sure**

Keep the photos coming..  I love them all.   Well almost.. the turtle one had me nervous. 

WW.

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 12:30:25 AM »
IMO, a great idea for a post. Thumbs up

Kangaroos

Wallaby

Possum

Feral Goat

more to follow.....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »
Here's a shot of some type of bee inside an opuntia cactus flower.

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
Reptiles.

Eastern Water Dragon

Saltwater croc

Juvenile tiger snake

Bearded dragon

Goanna

Water skink

peek-a boo

I'm just about to go out for dinner (& do some final shopping for my daughters camping birthday party), so I'll post some more when I get back.

Kind regards
Mick