Author Topic: The Wildlife Thread  (Read 146686 times)

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
Re: The Wildlife Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »
Ok so I've been able to sneak in some bird pics before I go out. lol

Birds

A variety of inland birds, including darters, cormorants, shags & wedge tailed eagles that were filed during a fishing trip..

A male scub turkey..

A female scrub turkey..

A coastal darter...

A blue Heron..

A Pelican.

Kookaburra

Aquatic species when I get back  ;D

Kind regards
Mick

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 03:35:39 AM »
A couple of fish pics...

from our Great barrier reef...

A Barramundi

Seals and Mutton birds feeding on a school of bait fish off the Nth West coast of Tasmania...

European carp spawning in an inland water supply dam....

and one showing a part of that days catch....

Kind regards
Mick

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
Strange and wonderful critters there, mate. How about some hints on preparing carp in the Food forum?
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
WOW SouthernCross,  what a variety of animals you have down there.     Whats the difference between a wallabee and a kangaroo?  Size?   I'm pretty sure if I go visiting down there.. I'll not plan on swimming ..I"ll stay on the land.     :-\

And yes.. if you have recpies or methods of cookin carp I'd like to see them too.   I"ve heard of carp being smoked and would like to try that method.

Thank you so much for sharing.    These were fun to look at.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
That is some beautiful water I had forgotten how clear it really is sure wish I could have just one more dive there.

WW here''s my carp recipe, lay the carp on a  beer soaked ceder plank  season how you like cook on the grill when it is done through away the carp & eat the plank. ;D
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
...WW here''s my carp recipe, lay the carp on a  beer soaked ceder plank  season how you like cook on the grill when it is done through away the carp & eat the plank. ;D
Mine is a variation of that, learned from 'planking salmon'. After you get the carp filets fastened to the board, fasten a few strips of bacon cross-wise across the filets. Lean the board up at a slight angle near the cook fire so the bacon cooks and bastes the fish.
Then proceed with Smokey's recipe, but garnish the plank with the bacon.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »
LOL you two!   I actually have a recipe for Carp Ribs.    Smoked I think they are..  and then they say to use the rib for a toothpick when done.   ha ha.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:49 PM »
LOL you two!   I actually have a recipe for Carp Ribs.    Smoked I think they are..  and then they say to use the rib for a toothpick when done.   ha ha.

WW.
Ah, yes. Carp, properly smoked, make passable BBQ briquettes.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »

WW.
Ah, yes. Carp, properly smoked, make passable BBQ briquettes.

::)  sometimes I just have to shake my head in amazement :-X

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2012, 11:25:02 PM »
G'day WW

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I have only just got back from my Daughters 2 day camping birthday party.

Both are marsupials, although different species. As a general rule, Kangaroos are larger.

......And yes.. if you have recpies or methods of cookin carp I'd like to see them too.   I"ve heard of carp being smoked and would like to try that method. 

I'm led to believe that the best way to prepare carp is to catch them & keep them alive for a week in fresh clean water (eg, a kids inflatable swimming pool or the bathtub).  This gives them the chance to clean out the muddy / weedy taste they acquire from their filter feeding habit.

I have tried them fresh on several occasions, but the muddy/weedy taste is not worth sorting through the many bones.

Since they are a real environmental pest over here, I generally kill every one I catch & leave them on the bank.  The Crows like their eyes, & the Foxes clean up the rest. ;D

Kind regards
Mick

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »
I'm led to believe that the best way to prepare carp is to catch them & keep them alive for a week in fresh clean water (eg, a kids inflatable swimming pool or the bathtub).  This gives them the chance to clean out the muddy / weedy taste they acquire from their filter feeding habit....
I've heard this method works, also. Fortunately I'm out of carp territory now, but if I'm ever presented with one, I'll have to give it a try. Although, I'm not sure what the ol' lady will think of taking a shower with a carp swimming around her ankles in the tub.  :o :P

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »
G'day OP

...... Although, I'm not sure what the ol' lady will think of taking a shower with a carp swimming around her ankles in the tub.  :o :P
Now you know why I haven't tried it.  I'd rather stay married, than experiment with ways of eating  carp. lol

Kind regards
Mick  ;D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »
G'day OP

...... Although, I'm not sure what the ol' lady will think of taking a shower with a carp swimming around her ankles in the tub.  :o :P
Now you know why I haven't tried it.  I'd rather stay married, than experiment with ways of eating  carp. lol

Kind regards
Mick  ;D
You could always try a pressure washer enema. Naw....that only works on dog sharks.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
Here's another one I like to look at when it's been too long since my last hike in the woods.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
Is that an older picture or do you still have that much snow on the ground?     This picture would make a great picture for the monitor.  :)

We had a female mallard duck wandering around in our yard yesterday.    She did alot of sitting so I dont know if she was injured or old or what.    I'd peek out the window as I walked  back and forth in the house to see where she was at.    Later in the afternoon I couldnt see her anymore..so she must have moved on after her rest. 

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
Is that an older picture or do you still have that much snow on the ground?     This picture would make a great picture for the monitor.  :)

That was taken about a month ago, IIRC. The rain has made a lot of that snow go away, but there are still a couple inches at the elevation where the photo was taken.

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
These are the photos that convinced me to get a good DSLR with a decent zoom. (From a trip to Custer State Park and Yellowstone in 2005)

The grizzly bear and her cubs were about 300 yards away, and I don't really want to get closer, but it really taxed my point and shoot Olympus.  That Buffalo walked through our campsite - was remarkably quiet so suddenly - there it was! Scared us nearly to death!

One of my favorite "close encounters",  though, was having a junco land on my rifle barrel while in a tree stand deer hunting. I didn't move a muscle, barely breathed, and he stayed perhaps 30 seconds that seemed like five minutes.  It was very cool.
"I'm outdoors, you know." George Thorogood.
Member #94!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
One of my favorite "close encounters",  though, was having a junco land on my rifle barrel while in a tree stand deer hunting. I didn't move a muscle, barely breathed, and he stayed perhaps 30 seconds that seemed like five minutes.  It was very cool.
Nice pix!
I was on a stand bowhunting white tails in Nebraska and had a rabbit come up and start chewing on my leather boot laces. Scared the heck out of him when the "stump" moved!

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
Wow, Missouri rabbits can't generally climb deer stands. Must be all that corn in Nebraska  ;)
Member #94!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »
Wow, Missouri rabbits can't generally climb deer stands. Must be all that corn in Nebraska  ;)
I've never hunted any animal from a tree stand. Probably never will.

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »

I've never hunted any animal from a tree stand. Probably never will.
[/quote]

I can absolutely respect that. 
Member #94!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:16 PM »
Nice pix there Dadio.    I'd be in a dead faint if I opened up my tent to that standing right there...  uffda.

What camera did you get ?

Today on the way to town we did a head count of hawks and Eagles.    3 Eagles and 11 hawks in 10 miles.   Oh..and I just about had a female pheasant fly into my open window along the driveway. I felt the woof of her feathers.   Scared me so much I actually screamed...   jeepers.

Marsh.

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
Nikon D60. Would not be my choice now but I have taken some nice shots with it. I will post some other pics from the Nikon soon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:08:12 AM by Dadio »
Member #94!

Offline C3 Knives

• Water Stone
  • No moment in time is -Ordinary-!
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »
Got to love the awesome variety showing up here.  I'll dig up some more.   
C3 Knives-Hand Crafted For High Performance!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
Here is some suburban wildlife for you all LOL!

My resident groundhog (he lives under my deck... drives the neighbors crazy but he amuses me to no end so I flatly refuse to evict him) decided to climb the fence yesterday. Pretty funny to see a fat old groundhog trying to balance up there, especially when he turned around and all I could see was his big arse!

Zoom pic taken through the back window:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:36:51 AM by Gurthy »

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
I took a small handful of Boy Scouts out to learn/practice compass and map skills at Waterfall Glen in Illinois.  We came across this snake.

Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »
Here's another one I like to look at when it's been too long since my last hike in the woods.

So evocative! Great photo.
Member #94!

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »

This one is only "semi-wild" - from a bear sanctuary near Ely MN.

Sometimes you get lucky..
Member #94!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
Went for a short drive this afternoon to deliver a mower. Along the way, I ran into a few of the girls having lunch.

Then I got a real surprise!  This young bull was wandering around like he owned the place. I tagged along for awhile, but never got close enough for a real portrait.  It's always a treat to run into moose practically in your backyard.

Offline C3 Knives

• Water Stone
  • No moment in time is -Ordinary-!
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »
That is a treat.  Where are you located? 
C3 Knives-Hand Crafted For High Performance!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
That is a treat.  Where are you located?
Kootenai National Forest in Montana.

Offline dragonjimm

• Mill File+
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
This guy was sitting on the fence across from the house last summer in a suburb I managed to get about forty feet from him when i got this picture but when i tried to get closer he flew off

And this one was found orphaned and stayed a few weeks with us till we were able to turn him loose in the woods at our new house

Alon with several small snakes,turtles, lizards frogs, an almost weaned raccoon that i caught in a dumpster at work,   between me and the kids theres no telling what we'll bring home to doctor up and turn loose
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:10:09 PM by dragonjimm »
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »
This Cooper's hawk thought my bird feeder was his own private buffet last summer!
(Taken out my kitchen window.)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »
For some reason it' birds for me, since I was a kid I have had run ins with birds. I rescued a baby hawk many years back while working at a park outside of Pittsburgh. Never put him in a cage but made sure he was safe in a tree before I left work for the day. Once his feathers all came in he would follow me around the park on my daily rounds. He did this for a couple of years. When I put my arm out he would land on it. For years he was around. Eventually he wouldn't fly to me anymore but he was always in a tree not 50 yards from we're I was working.

This young catbird landed on my head one mothers day in Key Largo, he must of though I was his mother. I was starting to worry about this bird returning to the wild, he didn't seem to get it. I would place him in a branch every morning hoping by the end of the day he would have flown away, eventually he did.

I can't be sure but I think he still comes around, there is a catbird that is always yelling at me, some times he dances on our mailbox and watches me.

Up at the farm I rescued a hawk that fell into our neighbors water trough. He was in shock and a bit hypothermic, very lethargic. I didn't think he was going to make it. Kept him warm and checked on him a few time through out the night, by morning he looked good so I took him out front and released him. He flew to the wood pile about 20 feet away and looked at me for a minute or so and took off. A few times that day he flew right by me, 15 maybe 20 feet, scared the hell out of me, screeching. I see him and his mate all the time. If I'm out walking in my field he will fly by me screeching. My buddy who lives up on our farm says he finds him looking in the windows for me occasionally.

This is him following me around the field by the workshop.

There have been dozens of bird encounters in my life. About 5 years ago while I was demonstrating spinning and weaving at the Dade County Youth Fair, in the large exhibition building this magician was doing his thing on the main stage, he pulled the dove out of his hat and the damn bird flew off. 8 hours later as I was packing up my stuff for the night the dove landed at my feet, not 12" from me. I reached down and he jumped onto my finger, I found a box to keep him safe overnight, the magician was very happy to get his bird back the next day.

This is Smilie, she lives in a buddies back yard, she is 12' and not tame, but during certain times of the year she will be there.

These last two pictures were not taken by me.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »
Southern Cross

Good pictures of the "skippies".. Where are your water buffalo pictures. .?  I went off with some blokes in the Northern Territory out of Darwin and hunted wild pigs and water buffalo.  You could completely over load the thread with pictures of birds from Auzzie. 

Ceers Mate .. John

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
I have posted this before but here are some of my neighbors. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-13RXnY95-3o/T2INy3SZDUI/AAAAAAAAABI/If_dZDsRylQ/s912/Elk.jpg  These elk are in my pasture sometimes.

Here is a picture of a bear in a tree in my yard.   https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Cw2VV722osw/T6hrrH5JpKI/AAAAAAAAADQ/Rll2mycmri8/s720/Bear%25207%252030%252009.jpg

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
Couple little guys I've run into in the past couple days

this guy has turned himself mulch red:

and this one just ran across my path outside in the rain:

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
Cool shots guys. Caught a pic of this little  guy  when  taking the dog out this morning

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
My neighbor was ticked off that we drank all the beer before he got to the party, so he left in a huff.  ;D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
Be thankful he left in a 'huff' instead of a 'puff' :banana:    He looks to be a pretty fair sized specimen, too!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2012, 10:02:06 PM »
Be thankful he left in a 'huff' instead of a 'puff' :banana:    He looks to be a pretty fair sized specimen, too!
I have an agreement with the skunks. They don't spray me, and I don't punt them over the fence.  :P

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
Luna Moth at the hardware store up in meredith

messing with the editing software on photobucket:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:09:51 AM by Binalith »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
The Luna Moth is on my 'wanna see' list. Thanks for showing!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
The Robin Odyessy
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
Just thought I'd share this.
We have a very large, scraggly lilac tree, and a birdbath in our yard. For several days, robins have been frequenting the birdbath. They apparently took a liking to the abundant food, and water here, and a couple days ago we discovered that they had decided to nest in the lilac tree.

This Spring has been so disagreeable that we haven't used out patio at all. The tree is smack dab in the middle of the patio. Human traffic would normally discourage any birds from nesting there, since this new nest is only about 8' above anyone's head sitting at the picnic table.

So.... The first hint we had of the nest was when we observed Mr. and Mrs. Robin doin' the dirty in the middle of the yard. The next thing we knew one of our cats was skinning up the tree to check out the robins' new digs. Flailing arms and a lot of yelling on my wife's part, and the cat was driven off. Great! Now what?

We're pretty sure there are already eggs in the nest.  My first reaction was to keep the cat off the tree by wrapping aluminum foil around the 8-plus trunks of this 'shrub'.  Okay, 45 minutes and over a roll of foil later, this lilac looked like some demonic Christmas Tree.  Besides that, the shiny foil glinting in the sun would scare off a Bald Eagle, let alone a couple of robins!  They didn't return to the nest all morning.

Plan B: I went out and tore down all the foil wrappings. I dug out a spare roll of chicken wire and ran a fence all the way around the lilac tree, about 4 feet high. It would have been easier to just hog tie the damn cat!  That might not have set well with the cat, however, since it takes 4 weeks for the first brood to leave the nest, and Robins can have 3 broods back-to-back.

So now the patio is off-limits, the tree has a cage around it, and hopefully Ma and Pa Robin can carry on in peace. Even though I've made nesting boxes for Robins in the past, this is the first pair we've ever had camp where we could observe. The nest is right outside the window of our cabin, and even though all we can see is the bottom of the nest, we can watch the comings and goings of the parents.

Shortly after I got the chicken wire up (and that gawd-awful foil down), they returned to the nest. This morning one was sitting on the nest. The mate flew in, and the first bird went off to forage. The second one took its place on the nest. It's noted that both parents will protect the hatchlings, but I haven't read anywhere that they will take turns sitting on the eggs!

So here we are...God parents to a clutch of robins. Can't use the patio. Stupid birds!!!!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Bird Feeders
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
It's Spring around the birdbath and feeders right now. Lot's of pairs of different birds around.
This is a quick shot I got out my kitchen window (through the glass) of a male Evening Grossbeak in full plumage, strutting for his lady friend.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
spring is awesome for seeing and interacting with wildlife.  I've moved 3 snapping turtles, interacted with a huge porcupine in a tree (starting contest), seen a ton of turkey chicks. and the other day I stopped traffic on 106 for a family of black weasels to cross, that's a new one on me, really wish I got a picture, they were too fast.
heres the porcupine again

I'm jealous of your new camera OP, I've been drooling over those for some time. waterproof! amazing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Smarter that the average bug
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Here's an interesting (to me) experience I had, and wanted to share.

I was looking for test subjects for a new camera I have, and came across a garden-variety brown dappled moth on the front porch. I posted a picture of it in another thread. Anyway, I took my pictures and left it alone.

The next day I noticed the moth was still there. It had not moved at all. Strange. I ended up poking it with my finger, and yep, it was alive. What the heck?

Then I noticed there were several fine spiderwebs criss-crossing above it from the beams to the wall. I hadn't paid any attention even when I took the picture. There were probably 10 strands there above the moth, but not touching it.  I brushed all the webs away, told the moth to have a nice night, and left.

This morning I checked on the moth. It was gone. Apparently this "stupid" moth sat there for well over 24 hours wondering how it was going to fly off without getting caught in the spider webs.  The night after I brushed the webs away, it made its break.

I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:25 PM »

I'm led to believe that the best way to prepare carp is to catch them & keep them alive for a week in fresh clean water (eg, a kids inflatable swimming pool or the bathtub).  This gives them the chance to clean out the muddy / weedy taste they acquire from their filter feeding habit.

I know I am a little late to the game on this one.  But, I have to admit this works.  I caught a huge carp once and Step-Dad did this very thing.  He said he learned it from the Vietnamese.  He set up to large coolers with aerators.  Once one filled with mud he would move the carp to the clean water.  As I recall it took about 4 days for the water to clear. 

He cut it into steaks rolled them in beer batter and fried them.  If it where not for the bones you would think you had Long John Silvers for dinner. 

I for one don't have the patience for that.  If I can't clean it and cook it I don't want to mess with it. 
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
It's Spring around the birdbath and feeders right now. Lot's of pairs of different birds around.
This is a quick shot I got out my kitchen window (through the glass) of a male Evening Grossbeak in full plumage, strutting for his lady friend.

We are SUPPOSED to have them here in the winter, but I don't recall ever having seen one......we feed a lot of sunflower seeds, too >:(.   The 'bird map' says you have them all year up there O.P......right?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Bottom feeders
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
I wonder if that would work with river suckers? There's a lot of meat on those guys, if they didn't taste like earthworms.  :P