Author Topic: John Russell Cutlery - Turners Falls 1870  (Read 504 times)

Offline Chris Clawson

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
John Russell Cutlery - Turners Falls 1870
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
Hi Gang!
I wanted to share with you a new digital reproduction of the John Russell Cutlery, ca. 1870. I scanned it from an original albumen print, which measured 12 x 15 inches. There was still plenty of contrast and I have it online as a "Deep Zoom" image, so you will be able to explore it to the finest detail. Be sure to view this by using the link below! The image I posted here is just a teaser.
We may have some exciting and new history about the beginnings of the JRC in the very new future. I am not saying the early history is wrong, but there is much more to the story!

Here is the actual link: http://industrialhistory.org/john-russell-cutlery-1870/
Chris

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: John Russell Cutlery - Turners Falls 1870
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:10:23 AM »
"be sure to view this by using the link below".   Sure fire indicator of another damn spammer.   No thanks.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
There are exceptions to every rule.....this being one of them.  As I recall, Chris, although he doesn't post often, posted some very unique and useful information in another old thread that we had going on the history of the Russell Cutlery company.  It's definitely NOT spam....it's good solid information that has been brought to light by a person that KNOWS what he's talkin' about! :hail:

We are fortunate to have you as an authoritative & valuable resource, Chris....THANK YOU! :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:58:59 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »
I clicked the link and it is informing.  Good post Chris. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Chris Clawson

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
I apologize for looking suspect. I am not a passionate knife collector but am passionate about history. I would like to post here when we at the museum have created some content that may be of interest to the group. Using the web link is important in this case because the deep zooming feature of this image cannot be viewed unless our server is able to deliver the user the image tiles at the requested detail. Of course, we hope to gain your attention, but we also hope you believe the content we offer is worthy of it. We are not hiding from anybody. If the administrators of this group would rather prefer I not use your forum, in this manner, then please drop me an email requesting that I not post knife related history from us in the future.
Chris

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »
I'm not a moderator, but I know good, solid information when I see it. :thumbsup:     Being someone that is interested in the history of the cutlery from the fur trade era, I encourage you to post any and all new or old historical information that you are privy to and are willing oblige us with.  THANK YOU for what you have already sent our way.....I appreciate it!  :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
^^^^What he said!^^^^   :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
Thanks for the image and the link!

It is a nice addition to the forum and is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
I posted earlier but it isn't here for some reason.  Chris you have no need to apologize at all.  Your post fine.  Good link and, like Wolfy and others, I love the details on the history of cutlery used in the west during the frontier days and enjoyed seeing the information about Russell.  Thanks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)