Author Topic: Just thinking  (Read 700 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Just thinking
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »
  This is the fifth day in a row that I log on to B&B and find that I'm either the only one logged in or that there is one other member already here, it used to be that on any given week end day or holiday there'd be at least a dozen members and some guests looking in. 
  I was last here yesterday for a short time after supper,  since then only two posts have been written,  neither one having anything to do with Blades or Bushlore.
  Is it that people have lost interest in hiking, camping, self reliance, or wilderness skills,  or have they just lost interest period ??? ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: Just thinking
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
or it could be that a lot of folks are out and about.  This is the last of the really good camping weather down South.  Soon it will be too hot and buggy to even think about camping or bushcrafting.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
Out west we have had the worst winter weather in probably a decade.  Storms were/are frequent and if there wasn't twenty inches of snow there was a foot of mud.  Much of the time we were 20 F below zero and the wind was thirty miles an hour.  We have another storm coming tomorrow sometime.  It has not been weather out here conducive to crafting stuff out doors unless you are young and hearty.  No excuse for not doing stuff indoors though.  Like knife sharpening and the like.

In addition, the number of posts about bushcraft have dropped even when there are five or six new posts.  A couple of years ago one of our members asked everyone to post a bushcraft related post and the response was poor.

We still get posts about camping and food and knives like the stuff Bear the Dog posts but Bear seldom posts in any threads but his own.  Bear has a lot of knowledge but he is busy making a living with his bushcraft skills I think.

Sarge has been great with his knife posts and the Kephart project really got my excitement level going.  Crash, Max, and the other Florida guys post a lot of stuff good stuff about their knives,trips and camps.  I like the posts about ponds, tractors, and other projects.  This forum is still my favorite place to go and I am on here about four or five times most days. 

We have over two thousand members and about fifteen of us post more than once a week.  Some never post.  We lose members to other interests.  Woods Runner made great videos.  He is gone.  He still makes great videos but only on You Tube these days.  Others that were active some time ago are now gone.  Life ebbs and flows and forums follow that pattern too I guess. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
I log on here in spurts. The past two weeks I've been on vacation and have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to have been busy.
During my son's March Break, we got out skiing and hiking and spent an entire afternoon alone in a climbing gym. This past week I got out on another long hike to explore some old backcountry campsites on a Scout preserve. Yesterday and Thursday I spent doing Search and Rescue for a guy who went on an intentional one way walk in the woods with a 30'06.
I guess I hope people are out doing stuff and will post up when they can.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
Like Stan, our weather has been much the same this year.....what he gets, I get 8-12 hours later.  Does anyone want to hear about our continuous snow shoveling experiences? :shrug:  I doubt it. :-\

I was hoping to get out and sight in my new CZ Varmint .22 Rifle/Vortex 3-9 scope combo LONG before this, but cold, snow and EVERY day stiff winds have not allowed that to happen.  I WILL report on my results, but so far I have yet to put a single round through it. :'(

On the bright side, we just got home from a 4500 mile jaunt through NEBRASKA, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.  PERFECT weather all the way! :banana: :banana:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:44:07 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »

In addition, the number of posts about bushcraft have dropped even when there are five or six new posts. 

I visit the forum at least once each day.  I look for engaging posts about bushcraft that can teach me new things.  I appreciate the equipment posts, but the ones I enjoy most are about skills and nature.

I'm happy to start threads.  And I always enjoy the discussions that follow.  But I'm very busy outside the forum.  I would definitely start more threads if I can share links to articles I've written elsewhere.  But I've been given to believe that it's unwelcome.  As a result, I don't post as often.  But I still read and enjoy others' posts.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 05:06:43 PM »
We had a layoff at work back in December, and those of us that survived have been working 10 hour days since. I feel bad not logging in, but by the time I get home, get dinner ready and do whatever else needs attention, the next thing that happens is I usually fall asleep in the chair. Not the best of answers, but...

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
Like most, just busy Moe. I check in when I can. Just not a lot to comment on.
But today I was out enjoying this great weather and did some testing and shooting up some ammo.
look for the post in firearms as soon as I can upload the photos. I will share some surprising results out of the Ruger 10/22.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
Recently, I haven't been on here as much as usual but I've noticed the same thing, too. I might be the only member logged on, or might be one of only two or three logged on. I let my membership expire but just renewed it...yee-ha!

I miss some of the folks we don't see around the fire anymore...

I haven't done much of anything outdoors this year. We had some beautiful weather here in February and we were hoping for an early Spring... Penciled in a couple overnighters last month with daytime highs around 70F and overnight lows about 50F but the plans fell through. Then, we've had rain, rain, and more rain this month. Last week, we even had some snow and lows in the 20's several nights. Unseasonably cold for this time of year and too cold for this fair weather camper. I'm really looking forward to getting out in the woods. I'm itching to go fishing, too. Just waiting on days off and the weather and the stars and planets all to align.  :(

So with no time in the bush, there should be plenty of shop time this month, right? Well, not much between work, work related training, overtime, etc. I have a bench full of stuff needing attention, including Kepharts, and a couple of forged blades. So, I'll be torn when the weather improves ... shoptime or woodstime?
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 05:17:46 PM »
Hey, Dano. CONGRATS on post #5,000.  :cheers:
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
Just busy and enjoying the outdoors before it gets stupid hot.  I'll still enjoy it when it is, but my posts may be a little sweaty.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »
as for me i try to post when i can. but things in my personal life
 are not well at all. as for more lake or wood time i don't get any.
some how just lately i've been able to creep back into the shop.
10-15,min at a time.as for bushcrafting here it goes.
i'm going to make some more char cloth soon. even though i still have some.
and that will give the excuse to use some recient knives i've made.
right now it sucks getting around as i somehow twisted my knee.
it could just be a sign of geezertitus who knows.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 05:52:35 AM »
Is this an old thread, or the third or fourth time I've seen it repeated?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
The topic has come up before.  It needs to be discussed from time to time as it may spark someone to post something really interesting.  In fact it already has.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 05:14:55 PM »
interesting thought that the number of 'bushcraft' threads are down.  Reflecting on that,  I believe in my personal life, my  bushcrafting is drifting away.  I just can't physically do the rough and tumble any more.  The hiking in, making camp,  crafting chairs,  shelters and the like. 
Heck,  I'm lucky to get some dirt time at all.  The over night that Tony and I did the other day, took me three days to recover from.  Laughing.  Kinda.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »
Now that spring is here hopefully the activity and threads will increase. I know I haven't been up to much post worthy.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 06:47:10 AM »
interesting thought that the number of 'bushcraft' threads are down.  Reflecting on that,  I believe in my personal life, my  bushcrafting is drifting away.  I just can't physically do the rough and tumble any more.  The hiking in, making camp,  crafting chairs,  shelters and the like. 
Heck,  I'm lucky to get some dirt time at all.  The over night that Tony and I did the other day, took me three days to recover from.  Laughing.  Kinda.

Agreed, age does put a damper on some activities,  driving three hours to camp for a weekend or 10~12  hours to get to a favorite hunting spot never needed a second thought,  I used to be able to throw my 17' glass and wood canoe on and off the roof of my van, then portage it a couple of hundred yards through the woods to get to some out of the way fishing spot,  today it's a 13' wood and glass canoe,  I slide it into the back of the truck instead of lifting it onto the roof, and if I can't back up to the water, it's not getting wet.
 I used to cover a lot of miles in a day while hiking or hunting,  today I can measure the distance in hundreds of yards,  and try to stick to flat ground as much as possible,  now I understand what the old timers of my youth were saying when they'd quip about "What they used to do all day now took them all day to do".
 I was talking to my insurance agent (home and cars) a couple of days ago, we go back a long ways, about 50 years at least,  he's a few years younger than me, we both hunted deer in the same areas of Maine and shared a lot of hunting info and stories, anyway, when our business was completed he asked me if I hunted Maine last season, I said no, but that I did do some small game hunting and fishing closer to home,  he said he did go,  but didn't get a shot at one, then he commented that it had probably been his last hunt in the big woods,  said it was a real PITA getting old,  at that I agreed saying it is,  but it sure beats the alternative.
 I still try to stay active, I don't winter camp any more, it's a little too dangerous at my age and ability,  but I use the time to maintain my gear,  improve my old skills or learn new ones, and "talk shop" with my bush buddies on the forums,  I think it keeps the mind focused and the will to keep on keeping on alive,  it does hurt to enjoy ones self in advanced age,  but I think the pain helps to remind us that we can still do what we're doing, at least for today.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
LOL.  We are all somewhat the same as we age.  I have two new knees and am walking better than I have in fifteen years or so.  Not ready for any long hikes but I can go ten times further now than this time last year.  I used to snowshoe a fair bit and we had a great winter for it in these parts but my knees were not ready for it.  Maybe next year, or next week given the winter we have had so far. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »
I've been terribly busy. I have 2 clients for work (like having 1.5 full time jobs) plus young kids, plus the last two weeks we have had wildland firefighting training. Busy, busy busy.

On the positive side, the wildland training is interesting. I have my doubts about passing the pack test since I am out of shape (walk 3 miles in 40 minutes with a 45lb pack on) but we will see.

I can do three miles with a 20 pound pack easily but 45 pounds is a whole other ball game.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »
I've been terribly busy. I have 2 clients for work (like having 1.5 full time jobs) plus young kids, plus the last two weeks we have had wildland firefighting training. Busy, busy busy.

On the positive side, the wildland training is interesting. I have my doubts about passing the pack test since I am out of shape (walk 3 miles in 40 minutes with a 45lb pack on) but we will see.

I can do three miles with a 20 pound pack easily but 45 pounds is a whole other ball game.

Keep working it out PW, What seems impossible today can become reality in a few weeks if you keep a it,  I joined the police dept. before the mandatory three month state run police academy became law,  officers that had been working for 10 years were exempt, any officers with 10 years and under had two years to take and pass the required academy course or get out.
 My chief stalled my going for as long as he could as we were always short handed as it was,  when I finally was forced to go to the academy I was 40 years old,  I didn't worry about the class work, PT, or physical part of the course,  but to pass and be accredited to work as a full time sworn PO I had to run an eight minute mile,  the PT training area had a one mile running track in the form of a square with each leg being 1/4 mile long, three of which were up hill at steep grades, the last 1/4 miles was a blessed down hill run,  the three up hill grades were a killer,  and by the time you reached the down hill run your lungs were pretty well screaming for air.
  The first time we had to run it was in the second week of training,  they had us do it in order to assess each recruits ability,  I just knew that if I was going to fail it would be the run,  we had PT three mornings a week the rest of the time was spent in the class room except for outside training at different police agencies learning accident investigation,  crime scene investigation, at a local race track learning defensive driving, or at the range practicing shooting and tactical response,  It was a busy time.
  We got three tries at the run before the end of our academy stay,  on my second try the LT with the stop watch shook his head and yelled out "Damn, three seconds too late",  I made it on my third try with 7 seconds to spare, you'll make it also if you really want it.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »
Moe let us all in our wanning years be greatful for all we have had thruout life to do.
you see it's all perspective, don't grumble. be greatful.
thier are those who thru life would give anything to do what so many here probably take for granite.
 so you see it's all perspective, like this
some may say i really miss all the things i used to do.
where others may say gee i wish i had the oportunity
to do all those things.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
I just haven't made time to post as much as I use to.  Kids are a little older now and there is homework to do in the evenings.  I started doing mower and 2 cycle engine tune up and repair work as a side hustle job and that has kept me busier in my spare time as well.  I did some hunting over the fall and winter and have done some fishing lately but just haven't done the photo trip documentation and sharing like I use to.  I will still try to post outings and my restore projects when I can and it's fun and doesn't feel like work.  I do check in almost daily just to see what's going on here.   

I do think the "bushcraft" fad has slowed down quite a bit in general too.  I think it peaked a few years ago.  Now that the "newness" has worn off for folks some have left it.  Those that liked it before and maybe discovered a passion for it they didn't know they had are still left.

I do think I'll do another thread similar to that old craftsman chainsaw save on an old tiller from the early 80's that I'll be tackling as my next project. 

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File+
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 12:52:32 AM »
I pop in every day but I'm a nite owl, usually everyone is asleep by the time I log on! :D

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:43 AM »
    Participation is down at our Krac meets too.  From a high of 50 at a developed campground meet years ago to an average of 5-15 now.  The common denominator seems to be the guys' real lives just get more crowded with responsibilities.  Church, family, kids, job, etc.  You can't criticize a guy for having priorities like those.  Slowly there are the near retirees and self employed coming up to replace the missing.  Sam and I await patiently for you guys to join us on quiet weekday camps.

As far as the physical problems with age and camping,  we certainly hope none of our brothers will think twice about coming knowing they are going to need help.  Sam and I both had to rely on helping hands to get us out of our chairs at different camps.  Sam made a tow rope getter upper attached to a tree one trip  .Crash had to keep pumping up my leaking air mattress because of my back on one camp.  Sam is always inviting newbs and others along telling them we can get them set up in camp and deal with any physical problems like prothesis'. fake hips, or pacemakers.

And yes,  we do know how lucky we are to be able to count on company and help on camps from a great group of brothers.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File+
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 01:39:04 AM »
If I lived anywhere's close by I'd be down for joining the meet-ups!  But I'm located pretty close to the center of the CONUS, quite a way from youse guys.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
If I lived anywhere's close by I'd be down for joining the meet-ups!  But I'm located pretty close to the center of the CONUS, quite a way from youse guys.

You'd be welcome anytime.  Be prepared to talk about yourself.  We've heard all of each others campfire stories... repeatedly.  I think the farthest anyone has traveled was from Chicago.  He flew in just for a Pot and Machete.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
I was hoping to be able to visit with some of you Kracs when we were visiting Florida this year, but alas, we were a week too late in getting there. :'(    I guess it took too long for us to peel all those mud bugs we were chowing down on in Louisiana & Mississippi. :drool: :banana:

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
Craig, would have loved to meet you, even if it had only been over a cup of joe, on your way thru. That goes for anyone here. swap phone # before leaving. Will meet somewhere along your route, at least.
I'm all over the state at any given time. I was on I-10 this week an next. near lake city.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
Ditto.  We would have had a meet for you.  I thought about pm'ing you and seeing if you had time when you were going to be here.  If you don't get back here in the next 2 years,  Kelly retires and we go on our 2nd circumnavigation of the good old USA.  So maybe we'll see you then.  We thought Waldrug was the coolest kitschy tourist trap we'ld ever seen.  And we live in FL.  Haha.  Just a hop skip and a jump down to, "It's not too bad." 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
If you get to Wall drug you're close to my place (125 miles) and it is sort of on the way to anyplace worth going in Montana or northern Wyoming.  Just holler.  Gosh, a trip where you could see Wolfy and me in the same week.   :-\
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 05:00:00 AM »
Sounds like the beginning of a plan.  We're casually looking at a replacement for our RV and truck.  The only way to travel by road in the USA on the road.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
Sounds like the beginning of a plan.  We're casually looking at a replacement for our RV and truck.  The only way to travel by road in the USA on the road.
As a respite for road-weary travelers, you, Kelly & Max are always welcome in our home, Tony.....we have plenty of room for guests and Ponca State Park is THE gem in the crown of the Nebraska Game & Parks system! :thumbsup:       Google it.....it's not too bad! 8)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Thanks man.  We'll give you guys plenty of warning time.  lol
Hunter S, Thompson