Author Topic: Interesting and timely Quote  (Read 702 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Interesting and timely Quote
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
   With all the pressure being put on our legislators to ban certain guns and pass stricter laws to further regulate and restrict the private ownership of firearms,  yesterday a retired US Supreme Court Justice called for a repeal of the Second amendment to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights,  tens of thousands of children not even voting age are being used as pawns and made to march on Washington and in the streets of our local cities and towns, and staging school walk outs, I ran across this quote by our first sitting US President.

"When the Government no longer allows The People to be armed,  it's time for The People to take away the right of that Government to Govern".
                                                              George Washington.

I debated whether this post and it's Quote should be posted in the Firearms section or buried in the Private section of Blades and Bushlore, after serious consideration I decided to post it in the first and most looked at section of this forum.
  If someone thinks it's too controversial, too political, is offended by it, or thinks it should be moved or removed,  I dare you to say so. 
  If however you agree with it,  please pass it on, it may just move some folks to get off their recliners and get active in the fight to protect and preserve the Constitution and our Liberties.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Interesting and timely Quote
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »
Other than the current furor & yammering by underage, non-voting children, I have seen no serious moves by lawmakers to eliminate the 2nd Amendment.  I understand there are those that would like to see that happen, but it will have to be considered and voted on by all of us before it does. 
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
As has been said by politicians before --- Never let a crisis go to waste when it can further your agenda.  That is what is going on now - nothing more, nothing less.  We must remain strong in our resolve to protect ALL of our rights.  I, like many others here took an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  There is no expiration on that oath.

I did get a good laugh watching a video of that David Hogg character complaining that the implementation of the requirements for students to use clear backpacks was a violation of his First Amendment rights.  I guess he believes that some parts of the Bill of Rights is sacred.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Attributed to Ben Franklin.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
I always liked that Franklin quote.....very timely, too. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
I've reached the age where I can appreciate the T-Shirt sayings. Like, my brain has switched from "I probably shouldn't do that" to "Aw what the heck, let's see what happens".

It seems to be generally accepted that the George Washington quote was a meme that started around 2015.

Now, along that line, if we raise the age of purchase for long guns do we raise the voting age to 21 also? That would mean rescinding the 26th amendment. If we do that do we rescind the 19th and 15th amendments also? They deal with voting. (look 'em up) And if we do that, what other amendments are in jeopardy?

Aw, what a bag of worms. I'm going to crawl back under my rock. It's quieter under there.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
As has been said by politicians before --- Never let a crisis go to waste when it can further your agenda.  That is what is going on now - nothing more, nothing less.  We must remain strong in our resolve to protect ALL of our rights.  I, like many others here took an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  There is no expiration on that oath.

I did get a good laugh watching a video of that David Hogg character complaining that the implementation of the requirements for students to use clear backpacks was a violation of his First Amendment rights.  I guess he believes that some parts of the Bill of Rights is sacred.

I've had a number of laughs at hogg. One of the best was in his closet video which he states the time as 9:32 am :P and agin in the cbs program where he describes riding his bike 3 miles to school after the shooting began. Another shooting with no cohesive storyline- much like most of them in recent memory.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/text
This might not be a call to repeal the 2nd ammendment but it's a start.
Needs to be stopped.
What a great day to be outside.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 12:25:58 AM »
I've reached the age where I can appreciate the T-Shirt sayings. Like, my brain has switched from "I probably shouldn't do that" to "Aw what the heck, let's see what happens".

It seems to be generally accepted that the George Washington quote was a meme that started around 2015.

Now, along that line, if we raise the age of purchase for long guns do we raise the voting age to 21 also? That would mean rescinding the 26th amendment. If we do that do we rescind the 19th and 15th amendments also? They deal with voting. (look 'em up) And if we do that, what other amendments are in jeopardy?

Aw, what a bag of worms. I'm going to crawl back under my rock. It's quieter under there.
are you saying the intent of the Founders was given up long ago? Or, that since those additions were instituted  we should embrace the progressive nature of the Proposition Nation many claim the US to be?
I am referring to the amendments you cited not the questions of age appropriateness

Also- good catch on the inaccuracy of the attribution of the quoted "quote"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:34:42 AM by Unknown »
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »

In the spirit of fair disclosure, the quote by Geo Washington that I posted in my OP, I just found out was never uttered by Washington,  supposedly it was tossed out by a conservative congressman at a pro gun rally somewhere in the mid west in 2015 and attributed to the General,  I'm sorry for bearing false witness,  but I think the quote itself regardless of who coined it is still spot on.     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
  Well said Moe. Still those are strong words. Would you say or agree that it would take a great deal more than getting out of the recliner to carry those words out? (Explicit as they are)
   When you asked others to join in the "fight"; is that the fight to take away the government's right to rule(govern)-as suggested by the quote?
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
Unknown,
  Wow, "proposition Nation". Never heard of such a thing or concept. Had to study that for a bit.
Found some quotes I liked regarding it.

Kind of like choosing which news outlets to read depending on your personal political leanings. (Don't try to read anything into that, it was meant as humor.)

Standard definitions for ?proposition:? ?Something offered for consideration or acceptance.? ?A theorem or problem to be demonstrated or performed.?

It is hard to think of our nation as ?something offered for consideration? or ?a theorem or problem.?

That would seem to define our country as being based on race, ancestry, religion, and culture instead of legal doctrine or ideology. "Proposition Nation" would seem to be a contradiction of terms.

Now, with that pseudo-intellectual horse-pucky out of the way.

What I was trying to convey is, there is some talk of raising the age requirement to purchase long guns to 21. There is a counter discussion to raise the age of voting to 21 also. The argument being, if your not old enough and responsible enough to handle a long gun, then you are not old enough to cast a ballot either.

I was in the military when the 26th amendment was ratified. Thousands of under age 21 conscripted (drafted) soldiers were being killed in Viet Nam at the time. The cry was "Old enough to die for your country, but not old enough to vote."

It certainly seemed like a valid argument at the time. The age to drink alcohol was also lowered to 18 in many states. Same argument but substitute 'vote' with 'drink'. That didn't last long. To many 18 year olds sharing with their younger class mates. You can't do that with a ballot.

So, if your going to treat the 26th amendment like we did the 18th amendment (Prohibition), are we also going to treat the 15 and 19th amendment the same way? The only reason I brought those two up is because they dealt with voting. No subtle hidden agenda/meaning. I'm not that smart or sophisticated.

Where do we stop. The 2nd amendment seems to be a favorite target right now.

My contention is, this is a slippery slope that I hope we don't step onto.

When Moe said "fight to protect and preserve the Constitution and our Liberties." I certainly did not see a call to arms, only a call to action. Like a letter writing campaign to elected representatives and newspaper op ed pieces.
maybe a personal visit to political rallies etc.. You appear to be a learned man so I doubt a reading comprehension issue. But attempting to stirring up lively debate - - -  Yeah, I can see that in your questions.

Moe, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments of the quote, even if it wasn't said by General Washington.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
~ Abraham Lincoln    :lol:  :doh:

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »
I had a long gun long before I was old enough to purchase one. As I am sure most people here were given or borrowed a gun from their father, grandfather, uncle or other family.

any connection between voting age and age appropriate to purchase a firearm imo is unimportant.

You are correct: questions to stir conversation  :stir:
                                                  -Unknown