Author Topic: Calling all welders and leather workers!  (Read 377 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Calling all welders and leather workers!
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
Need some advice.  I have a pair of Kinko Razorback welding gloves I initially bought for stoking the wood stove.
I've had them about 2 years, and I think they've been worn about 6 times. My wife hates 'em.

I'm looking for advice on breaking these things in, and making them more pliable.  They are like trying to work with oven mitts on!  Can barely bend the fingers.  I can't believe even a welder could work in them.  I really don't want to spend hours working saddle soap into them, but it may come to that.
Any hints?

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
Re: Calling all welders and leather workers!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
Neet's Foot oil.   

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:40:39 PM »
I've used "Scout Industrial strength leather preservative" with excellent results. It will make 'em soft and pliable, but it will darken them also. Contains beeswax so they'll be really waterproof. I use it on leather work glove that have gotten wet and stiff. Softens them right up.

I got mine at a farm supply store but I see it is available from a cowboy shop out of Roopville GA. It smells a little like boiled linseed oil.

Works for me.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »
  Hey OP, for what it's worth,  I've been around leather for a lot of years and found that different needs require different treatment to get the desired outcome,  in your case I wouldn't recommend Neetsfoot oil,  it's a great leather lubricant but it's acidic and will attack and break down the stitching that holds your gloves together over time.
  As far as preservatives go, Mink oil is the most natural that you can get, but it has to be applied often on garments that get a lot of use.
  If you're looking to water proof leather then products like Snow Seal,  leather guard, and other heavy duty leather treatments that contain Bees Wax and other natural additives are your best bet,  but when used the leather will generally stiffen up especially when cold unless it gets continuous use, it'll work good on thin leather work or driving gloves, but won't soften thick leather gloves like welders gloves for instance. 
  I'm assuming your problem is not that your gloves have lost their natural oils and need lubricating,  it's that they are fairly new and need breaking in,  and that's only going to happen with use,  not leather treatments.
  One suggestion I have that might help is this,  I know you're old enough to remember (grin) the Spin & Marty shows,  in one of them Spin got a new pair of jeans and they were stiff and uncomfortable and he didn't want to wait for them to break in over time,  so the boys went about speeding up the breaking in process,  while it might work I don't recommend you wet them, tie them in a knot, and drag them behind a horse,  but beating them up a bit with an 1-1/4"dia. x 18" long smoothed out tree limb might just soften the fibers in the leather to soften up enough to make them usable and kick start the wearing in process.       
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
My guess is they will never soften, no matter what you subject them to. :coffee:      My tractor doctors have two pair of welder's gloves that I know have been in service in their shop for at LEAST 40-45 years and they are still as stiff as a bull's horn.  The only parts of them that move are where the fingers meet the palms.  They are not welder's gloves, but somebody gave me a pair of the Lodge Manufacturing's Dutch oven (bake kettle 8)) gloves for Christmas a few years ago.....I haven't used them, but they are in the same condition as your new Kinko's.   They will make nice gift. O:-)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:33:40 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
  One suggestion I have that might help is this,  I know you're old enough to remember (grin) the Spin & Marty shows,  in one of them Spin got a new pair of jeans and they were stiff and uncomfortable and he didn't want to wait for them to break in over time,  so the boys went about speeding up the breaking in process,  while it might work I don't recommend you wet them, tie them in a knot, and drag them behind a horse,  but beating them up a bit with an 1-1/4"dia. x 18" long smoothed out tree limb might just soften the fibers in the leather to soften up enough to make them usable and kick start the wearing in process.       
:lol:  Waterproofing is not an issue since they are only intended for indoor use. Oh yeah, I remember that episode.  It's funny you should mention that, because I had a mental flash of me sitting on the porch, chewing them into submission like an old Eskimo woman on seal skin mukluks. Hahahaha

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
Those look like nice gloves. It's probably not the leather that is stiff but what material is in the heat resistant lining
        Unless there is no lining. Then is probably the leather.  ;)Use whatever leather treatment you have is what I suggest. any damage from any given product is years off and only at the extremes of saturation and long term use
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »
Those look like nice gloves. It's probably not the leather that is stiff but what material is in the heat resistant lining
        Unless there is no lining. Then is probably the leather.  ;)Use whatever leather treatment you have is what I suggest. any damage from any given product is years off and only at the extremes of saturation and long term use
They are Kevlar lined.