Author Topic: Planting seeds in containers  (Read 2059 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Planting seeds in containers
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
Ok guys..   I'm going to the greenhouse to fetch the dirt, trays, and peat pots and what ever else I can plant in.    I plan on planting alot of seeds in the next few days.

My questions are:    What type of containers do you plant your seeds in?   Peat Pots have gotten extremely expensive lately.   I'd like to be able to use something else for certain seedlings.  Like Tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, brussels, cauliflower and peppers.

I'd like to use the peat pots for those plants that are fussy about transplanting.  Melons for instance. 

And what depth of a container do you use?   Do you just spread the seeds into this container ..or try to keep 'rows' in them?

When you plant in other containers, do you transplant later into individual pots?   

If you do transplant into idividual pots, at what growth do you transplant and into what type of container at this time? 

And has anyone got that thing you can use to make newspaper pots?   I remember seeing one many many years ago.    Do you like it?  Do they ( the paper pot)  hold up for quite awhile?

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
Re: Planting seeds in containers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »
Lately, we've been using these pots from Menards, I think they're made from coconut husk.  Comes with a little tray to collect water and you can buy a plastic cover to make a mini greenhouse.  It was only about 3 bucks for an 18 cell unit.  I think they're around 3" square and 3" deep.  Big enough to avoid having to transplant twice.

I plant 2 seeds per container and if they both grow, I clip off the spindlier of the 2.  When it's time to put them in the ground (after hardening them off) I wet the soil somewhat and snip the sides of the pot and pull it off of the plant. I think the pots are biodegradable, but I don't want them to get rootbound.  I think you could also just cut the bottom off.

Hope this helps.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
I do have to get to Menards , I need more potting soil !!       

I was just down in the greenhouse, trying to find it back.    With not gardening for two years that house has become a dump spot for anything 'gardening' related.    Twas a mess in there.

I guess I dont have to worry about containers.    I found, 6 packages of 22  self inflating pucks (dont know what else to call those)  9 packages of 3" peat pots.   18 trays.   And a garbage bag full of those plastic cubical things you buy plants in.  I've saved them and didnt remember them being down there. And a garbage bag full of liter bottle bottoms.   From what I figure I can plant about 2,000 plants.  :)   

Guess I should have gone to look before asking... 

Oh..and I found 14 snake skins....     ewwww....  I may not have OP's mouse problem.. but I'm not sure this is going to be any better...     :-\   

Thanks Frugal,  I too like those 3 inch pots to cut down on the transplanting.    But after seeing OP's pictures I was wondering if it would work to cut down on room in the greenhouse keeping the baby plants in a tray for a week or two.  Or if its an old packet of seeds, I'd think planting like this would give me a clue on what kind of germination I'd have and not waste a peat pot.

I do think I'm going to at least give it a try to see if I like doing it that way.

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Egg cartons.  We get the 5 dozen crates and those give you three flats to use.  The material breaks down pretty good too.

Otherwise, anything will work.  Even egg shells, just crush the shell when you plant the seedling.

Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
Egg cartons.  We get the 5 dozen crates and those give you three flats to use.  The material breaks down pretty good too.

Otherwise, anything will work.  Even egg shells, just crush the shell when you plant the seedling.
Sounds like WW is set, but egg cartons are great. They are a bit small for getting good roots established before transplanting, IMO. I've done it, but I've had to step up into 3" pots for awhile before going in the ground.

This year I was using 4 year old seeds. I had a very poor germination rate on lettuce back in January, so when planting the tomatoes, and peppers, and whatnot, I planted 4-5 seeds in the center of each little compartment anticipating about 20% germination.  Wellllll..... I got 100% germination on 80% of the starts! Grrrrr.....wasted a lot of seed.  I usually go with only 3 seeds, like Gryphon.

I really like those peat disks WW described. You don't even have to worry about the depth of planting because of the way they swell. I soak them until they are about half the size they will eventually be, and then just lay the seeds in the center, and bottom water them. The disk swells up, covers the seeds and I've had them sprout in as little as 4 days.

This is one of the setups I use, from a couple years ago. I still use the trays and covers.

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
G'day WW

Egg cartons make great individual seed raising pots.

When they are ready to plant in the garden beds, just plant the individual egg sections after pinching off the bottom. The wet cardboard will disintergrate overtime & allow the roots to spread through the soil without the disturbance that replanting can sometimes cause.

Kind regards
Mick

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
I dont have egg cartons on hand..  hubby burned them up.  :(   

OP-   What do you use for markers in your cells?     And have you had any luck with a pen staying readable after a week or two? 

And what do you write?      I've had some mix ups of plants over time with not having things marked very well.   

One year I had hubby paint toothpicks while he was watching tv.   lol      Purple toothpicks went into each cell that had green peppers in it.     Red toothpicks ..Rutgers Tomatoes,   Orange Toothpics were sweet 100 tomatoes...      And then I had a laminated chart with the color blob next to the name.

WW

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Great idea with the toothpicks!  I've tried making charts but things always get mixed up anyway.  It's only after they leaf out pretty good that I can tell what plant is what.  And if there's 3 different types of tomatoes?  Oh well......it's not until I get fruit that I know which is which!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
On some plants I have to be perticular on where they are planted.   The critical one is where the cherry tomatoes go.  They MUST be planted on the outside fence on the side of the swing looking over the pond.   This is so hubby can drive up to the plants in his four wheeler and with his bowl and pick his tomatoes and head down to the swing to munch on them.     :)    Spoiled.

Pole beans on the arch..  bush beans in a bed.  :)

Bunching onions twards the front so hubby can find them.    Big onions to the back where they can grow undisturbed..   

Melons down by the pond,  pumpkins by the barn.   

WW.

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
I dont have egg cartons on hand..  hubby burned them up.  :(   

OP-   What do you use for markers in your cells?     And have you had any luck with a pen staying readable after a week or two? 
I've used commercial plant stakes with a fine marking pen in the past, but they are too pricey. In the picture, you see some pop sickle sticks I bought in bulk from a craft store, but you are right about them bleeding the ink when they get wet. Now I make a grid chart of what I've planted, and just label the trays with the number of the chart, and "top" and "bottom" so I don't get confused when I rotate the trays.

And what do you write?      I've had some mix ups of plants over time with not having things marked very well.

On the grid chart I write the species, and variety (e.g., "Farm Woman Melon") A lot more info than I could put on a tag.

One year I had hubby paint toothpicks while he was watching tv.   lol      Purple toothpicks went into each cell that had green peppers in it.     Red toothpicks ..Rutgers Tomatoes,   Orange Toothpics were sweet 100 tomatoes...      And then I had a laminated chart with the color blob next to the name.WW
[/color]
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »
OP..      I like that idea... just number the cells and info on the chart.     MUCH easier... :)    I'm glad I asked, I may give this a try too.

Yes..its the rotating of the trays in the greenhouse that can get the cell packs mixed up for me.   Especially if hubby goes out to water and turns them and I dont know about it. 

WW.