Author Topic: Whoo hoo.. Gardening season has begun!  (Read 2700 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Whoo hoo.. Gardening season has begun!
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
  I planted a 72 cell tray full of different tomatoes and another 72 cell tray full of a variety of peppers!   

The seed packet container is all sorted out and put into order of planting.

Green house is cleaned out ready to go..

Now I just have to fix my favorite hoe...  I broke the handle off right at the metal connection.  Poo..

Oh..and I cant get my tiller to start..  kicking it didnt help.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
Re: Whoo hoo.. Gardening season has begun!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »
  I planted a 72 cell tray full of different tomatoes and another 72 cell tray full of a variety of peppers!   

The seed packet container is all sorted out and put into order of planting.

Green house is cleaned out ready to go..

Now I just have to fix my favorite hoe...  I broke the handle off right at the metal connection.  Poo..

Oh..and I cant get my tiller to start..  kicking it didnt help.

WW.
BIG  HAMMER ;D
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:36:09 AM »
I was SO happy this year with my tiller! The clutch wire wasn't frozen for the first time in 2 years. I put half a tank of gas in it, and it started on the very first pull! Yippie! Oops....it was spraying gas all over the place!
Grrrr.....  Turned out the hose at the bottom of the tank had come loose somehow. Easy fix once I got the tank off and found the problem.  Got all the sifted compost and dirt turned in and raked out.
Now if my starters had just done better........ <sigh>
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
I haven't started yet because it has been so chilly & dry. Maybe this coming week if the rains continue. Been way to dry here. Tilled gardens last week& didn't go deep because it was so dry in the dirt. Checked Thursday before the rain & went down 8" before my fingers actually touched "damp" dirt. Way too dry... I am concerned because of the economy & drought. We use the produce from our gardens year round to save $$. If I have to water it adds cost as we do not have a well, but have use city water where we presently live. So watering the gardens by hose, is not a good option. It ain't looking all that good right now.
:(

I hope you all fare well in your gardens.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:23:34 AM »
... If I have to water it adds cost as we do not have a well, but have use city water where we presently live. So watering the gardens by hose, is not a good option. It ain't looking all that good right now.

I'm in the same boat. Last year I set up some catch barrels for rain water. The first rain we got measured only 11/100th of an inch, but the runoff from my roofs filled four 35 gallon barrels! We saved the first runoff in plastic cat litter jugs, and the next 5/100th of an inch of rain filled another 2 barrels. So far I haven't had to hook my garden hoses up, especially since we're still getting freezing temps at night.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
Whooah OP! Great idea/reminder!!
:D

I could do that rain barrel thing easily enough! Got over 1600+ SF on the house alone & another 1000SF on the garage..
Thnx.!
 :D
Geez.. I couldn't see the forest for the trees on this one..
Thnx again!
 :thumbsup:

As long as we get the rain..
 ;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »

As long as we get the rain..
 ;)
I was surprised how little it took to fill those barrels.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
I gotta figure out how I'm gonna grow stuff this year... Damn walnuts.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline econnofoot

• Whetstone
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »
I got one mixed starter tray, mostly herbs and tomatoes( pretty much everything I do is in containers) don't do a 'real' garden any more.  Got some gourds started, hopefully get some bigger ones this year last year they were pretty small. 
"I once Saw a Stripper in Amsterdam do the Scandi-Grind"

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »
I turned the soil, pulled the fall's weeds and added compost and manure to my small garden last weekend. I started my seeds indoors way too early this year... either that or I'm figuring it out and they're growing well this year. The tomatoes are already 7-8" high and the peppers are already 4-6" high... I'm afraid it will get crowded before my planned planting around May 10th  :-\

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Gotcha beat, Gurhy! My first two tomato plants are 28", and I've already had to put them in 3 gal pots, and pinch blossoms off twice!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
Gotcha beat, Gurhy! My first two tomato plants are 28", and I've already had to put them in 3 gal pots, and pinch blossoms off twice!

Wow!!! That's crazy! Do you have a greenhouse?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »

Wow!!! That's crazy! Do you have a greenhouse?
I have a garden room attached to the cabin, with high-tech greenhouse lights. But it isn't that simple.
I planted a bunch of lettuce seeds, and these two tomatoes came up along with them. Mixed in with the lettuce seeds? I dunno....but they grew like weeds.  Now, the 15 tomato plants I stared six weeks ago are only 2" high.  This growing season is cursed for me!