Author Topic: 9V L.E.D. watch pocket light.  (Read 3479 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
9V L.E.D. watch pocket light.
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
I have had this for two tears now. I bought it at a gas station for $2.99. The first battery was a no name alkaline and lasted a full year. It has a low 2 led and high 6 led switch.

The best part about this little light, It's been through the washing machine twice! Even the dryer once. it still works great.

Is it bright? I use it to shine up into the fifth wheel to see it is fully locked. I check the brake chambers and the slack adjusters on the trailer. I hold it in my mouth to see and write the hub mileage in my notebook when doing a drop and hook. It's plenty bright enough for an overnight truck drivers use.

I have it in my watch pocket always and do not know it's there, even sitting and driving 280 miles straight.

It's the best little light I ever owned and was a great value for what it cost.

I guess it's called a Blocklite. This is black and $8 but is identical, Mine is probably a Chinese knock off.
http://www.amazon.com/UNISHOW%C2%AE-Blocklite-Compact-Eveready-Flashlight/dp/B00HSNVUHY

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:01:41 AM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: 9V L.E.D. watch pocket light.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
   That looks pretty cool! Never seen one, or I think I would have one too.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing that. I will have to look a bit more closely when I am in a section that has flashlights. Although, I have quite a few... I will get one, if I see one.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »
I always wanted a pak lite but couldn't see the cost. I also think this is a better built unit.

http://www.bestglide.com/pak_light_led_light.html
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
I always wanted a pak lite but couldn't see the cost. I also think this is a better built unit.

http://www.bestglide.com/pak_light_led_light.html

As per the Bold above... I can't either... So , I will wait to see a model in the price range you found, or stick to the little lites I currently use. I do not need a light like that, THAT badly, to spend that amount.
 ;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Pretty cool. $3 is a steal for a dependable light like that.

I'd be tempted to put some electrical tape around the connection there, though. I'm a worrier, I guess. :P
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
That is neat! Thanks for the link.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
Why electrical tape? what worry do you have that I may be missing? It is a tight fit. It doesn't "fall off", You have to wrench on it pretty good to change batteries.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
Why electrical tape? what worry do you have that I may be missing? It is a tight fit. It doesn't "fall off", You have to wrench on it pretty good to change batteries.

I'm sure it's fine. Maybe what I should've said is, that's what I'd be tempted to do, even if it wasn't necessary at all. No offence meant. I generally overdo or overbuild stuff. I get it from my dad, I think. :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:42:14 AM by diogenes »

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
That's a nice little light.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
Diogenes, I wasn't offended at all. I was just curious. I keep it in my watch pocket because I know what a coin would do if it crossed the contacts. Not the kind of excitement I want...

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
Lol, definitely not!  :shocked:

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »
Gotta get me one of those! Thanks for letting us know.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline moxemdeliph

• Mill File
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:01 PM »
I tend to take care of my stuff, but with that being said, how do you think these would fair on a float trip? I take an annual 3 day/2 night float trip here in MO on the Black River. We make camp on the banks where ever we want and have a good time during day. A handy little light would be a nice addition but maybe this isn't the best application? Any input would be welcome.
May the forest be with you.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »

It's the best little light I ever owned and was a great value for what it cost.

I guess it's called a Blocklite. This is black and $8 but is identical, Mine is probably a Chinese knock off.
http://www.amazon.com/UNISHOW%C2%AE-Blocklite-Compact-Eveready-Flashlight/dp/B00HSNVUHY

Speaking as someone in the lighting business, I believe all LEDs are imported from China. Doesn't matter what company you buy from.

Some products are generic and companies contract them from Chinese companies, brand them as their own, and sell them. Some products are not chinese but the LEDs themselves are made in China.

This applies to consumer goods only. Commercial products, and a few specialized architectural companies make their own LEDs, but nothing that someone would buy to carry around.

Bottom line is, if you see something on Ebay or Amazon, and they look the same, but have different brand names or prices, 90% chance the two items are the exact same item, made in the exact same Chinese factory, by teh exact same Chinese workers, just packaged differently for different companies.

The only advantage to buying something for more money, or from a brand, is that some companies have workers over there insuring quality control for the product with their brand name on it...but I doubt that is the case for small money items.

FWIW, I have bought the Cree Ultrafire flashlights for $4 on Amazon, about 5 of them, and have been very happy with them...have one in my pocket right now, actually. I have bought some solar keychain LED lights, and some USB rechargeable lights....$1.50 items from China, and they have all worked flawlessly.

I would say, if it looks the same, buy the cheapest one, because it is most likely the exact same product.

Personally, I'm not a big flashlight guy....instead of spending $50 or more on a fancy flashlight....I spend $25 and have a dozen cheap flashlights all over the place....and I have been happy with all of them, especially the Ultrafires.

EDIT: I have spent some money on some NEBO lights, and they work great. That's the only brand I have any real experience with that I spent more than $5 on a light.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »
Yup. I have never seen a block lite. I googled it as I was making this post. I did however know about the pak-lite. As soon as I saw the 9V and 6 L.E.D.'s I knew I had to try it out for that cost. Plus it was blinding, as I did the redneck check by, shining it into my eyes.
 I have a couple of the $4 300 lumen ones too. It's little big but I do keep one in the truck for bigger jobs. I forget this one is in my pocket and sometimes reach for it and it is not. If I forget that watch pocket when switching jeans because I'm getting old...

Moxemdeliph. I would think a good headlamp would be ideal for that situation. These are waterproof but I do not believe they float.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
I just stumbled a upon a good source for these lights. I was searching for a stonebridge lantern and found these 2 for $9.99. That isn't bad considering they are now $3.99 each at the gas station, if they have them.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-5267-9-volt-battery-led-flashlights.aspx

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Never seen that design before. Sure has an appeal- nifty

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
"Speaking as someone in the lighting business, I believe all LEDs are imported from China. Doesn't matter what company you buy from"

Cree is the dominant LED manufacturer and they are in North Carolina. They do operate plants in China but the product is designed in the USA.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »
Okay folks!!! I am now beyond excited. Atomic beam now has a crazy bright led for a 9V!!!! I will be picking up a couple.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
Now that this has come up again, it has renewed my interest in getting a 3D printer one day. There are so many cool little plastic things one could make with a 3D printer.