Author Topic: Fat wood hand drill fire  (Read 153 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Fat wood hand drill fire
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
  I think I mentioned somewhere in a post reply in this section that I am pretty good with flint & steel and a burning lens in making a primitive fire,  I'm not that great with a bow drill, I think it has more to do with picking the right wood, but I absolutely suck at hand drill fires, someone suggested I wear a good pair of thin leather gloves,  that makes sense but I haven't had the chance to try it yet, I've collected a few good dried Mullein spindles and will probably use a hearth board made if Eastern White Pine.

While watching a video link of a knife test by Brian at Survival on Purpose, a few other of his videos popped up at the end, one of them was about starting a fire with a Hand Drill using a Fat Wood spindle on a hard surface such as a rock or stone,  in his demonstration he did it on his concrete driveway,  to say that it was interesting would be an understatement.
  In the video he has a piece of fatwood that he collected on a hike, it was about 16" long and about as big around as an average man's thumb, he whittled the sharp edges off of it, not enough to call it round, but just enough to be able to spin it between the palms of his hands, the ends of the spindle were left blunt,  but he used his knife to feather stick one end, being careful to make very fine and narrow curls that went all the way to the end of the spindle, and also being careful not to cut them off.
  He made the curls for about a little over an inch up the spindle and starting at the very tip,  with this done he placed the spindle on the concrete and twirled it rapidly putting just a little down pressure on the spindle, in a matter of just a few seconds the little ball of curls burst into flame and in another couple of seconds the whole end of the spindle was burning like a giant match.
  Brian said he got the same result the very first time he tried it and it's worked every time he's done it,   I haven't tried it yet but it's at the top of my to do list next time I get out for a day hike,  not only was it quick, but there's no need for a hearth board, anything to catch an ember or to have a tinder bundle ready,  just have a piece of fatwood big enough for a spindle,  your fire lay ready and some kindling waiting, and a fairly flat stone hard surface and you have a sustainable fire.
  I'm also assuming that if fatwood is scarce in your area that the spindle can be used like a big match to get your fire going and then be put out so that it can be reused.
  For those that are interested in seeing it done I'd suggest do a search of Fatwood hand drill fire,  Brian's video and several others will come up to click on.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Fat wood hand drill fire
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »
I watched it 3 or 4 times and can't process him getting fire (not a coal) in 2-3 seconds.

This is one I've got to try.  Now to dig out some fatwood from the stash.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth a million! ;D :cheers:

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
too funny!!! I tried to find the doug morris but too many options popped up. Did reallbigmonkey do one too?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:39:15 PM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:41 AM »
i need a new fatwood stash the biggest piece i have is about 8or9,in.
mabey i can do a mini drill, as for mullien theres large patches not far from here.

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:59:09 PM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing the info. Never heard about this method as well.
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:23:16 AM »
Comon' it's not April 1st. It's a joke. You can see the sparks fly out just before it lights up and the two small puddles of burning fluid on the ground. I've never seen fatwood light that quick. Birch maybe. check those other links, the Altoids one is awesome.

I know I'm gullible but... :shrug:
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:02:55 AM »
I just got my hands all sticky.  Can't believe I fell for that.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson