Author Topic: Mauviel pans  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Mauviel pans
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
we all love a good cast iron pan, and many of us know about carbon steel cooking pans and skillets.  I have been using one by Lodge when I camp. 
The other day, dragging along behind the wife at the Home Goods store in  Mid Town, Miami, I ran across some steel pans made in France.  Brand is Mauviel.  They are big in copper cookware, and I have some great pans of theirs.  Old line firm, high quality, pretty spendy.
This 22 CM pan was marked $12.95.  I could not resist.  A top quality steel pan for less than half the regular price.    :D

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Mauviel pans
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »
13 bucks!!!  Go back and get me one. 

um.  Dear friend of mine.   ;)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
Saw these on Saturday.  The check out line was a mile long, and slow, so I hid one, and we left.  I went back today, two days later, and the only one left was the one I hid.  Alas.
They did have some of the skillets with higher, more rounded sides, but they are $39.95, and not as suited for what I want as this one.  I did find them online, but a bit more expensive.  The one I bought is called a crepe pan.

http://www.mauvielusa.com/M-Steel.html?parentId=1

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
Hey man.  You know I hate crowds and lines.  I'll probably wind up with some this summer from the Lodge outlets in TN.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
Good score Sam, I like steel skillets
I pick this one up, also from France, Matfer Bourgeat,  Black Steel Round Frying Pan, 8 5/8-Inch, Its a heavy thick bottom, very impressed, welded handles. seasons up real nice. I paid $27 for mine

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »
We used a lot of those when I was in the restaurant 'game,' Spyder......good restaurant supply houses are a great source for the heavier ones. :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
I like the welded steel handle on Spyder's example.

They look like just the thing for eggs. (Probably no coincidence they are sold as crepe pans.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:55:45 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Awesome find!

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 06:33:37 AM »
  I don't think I've ever seen these, though I don't hang out in Kitchen, etc much. I do have a Wok which is steel.

I guess I have some questions for those familiar with these...

You say "carbon steel", are they carbon enough to rust like an iron frying pan, and if so, what do you use to protect it, just olive oil or something? That's what I use for my iron pans.

How's is the "Stick" factor on these?  Comparable to an iron frying pan?

What advantages, if any, are to be had with one of these over an iron pan?

How do these pans rate next to an iron frying pan for camp cooking, and weight?

I'm just curious, in case I am missing out on something.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »
I guess they would rust if neglected.  Eggs come out slick on mine and we have watched Mannlicher flipping over easy ones on his without a spatula.  Swamphanger didn't seem to have a problem with sticking with his in camp.

They are lighter than cast iron.

I'm picking up a larger one when I can get a deal and the cast iron skillet will stay home then
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:02 AM »
What Madmax said. :thumbsup:     Another thing.....They WILL warp if they get overheated, so just pay attention to what you're doing when pre-heating, etc.   
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
I have that frying pan. Awesome heat dispersion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »
  I'll have to keep an eye out for these when I go to Big Lots. it;s usually junk there, but from time to time you find a few gems.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »
I seasoned this pan by putting some oil in the bottom, and heating it for 5 min.  I let the pan cool to room temp, and dumped that oil, swabbed it out with paper towels.
Repeated the process, and now it is about as slick as any commercial non stick frying pan.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »
Good score Sam, I like steel skillets
I pick this one up, also from France, Matfer Bourgeat,  Black Steel Round Frying Pan, 8 5/8-Inch, Its a heavy thick bottom, very impressed, welded handles. seasons up real nice. I paid $27 for mine

I know, old thread. I just picked up one of these pans, the 12 inch model. Did initial seasoning with vegetable oil, salt and the peels from two potatoes. So far I'm really liking this pan. I was drawn to it because of the welded vs. riveted handle.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Thats great Greg, I'm still happy with mine.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
I remember this thread. Yeah I think the weld makes for a smoother interior and slightly easier to clean.