Author Topic: Check your water source  (Read 791 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Check your water source
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
  I was pretty hesitant about posting this topic, since it has been covered more than once here at B&B.

I decided that I would post it anyway, since it would be good for a "refresher" for some folks, and good for those who might not be so "savvy" on dealing with water sources.

Here is the "short version" for those of you who want your topics that way ...
------------------------------
Found a fresh dead doe in running water upstream from one of my "regular" bivouacs.
Reminder.... Check your water source before ya drink & particularly if you do not "process" your water. Running or not. Be aware of what might be IN the water source you are about to use, and just because it was good a couple days ago, does not mean it is good today...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There it is.. Simple... See ya...

--------------------------
For those who aren't so ADHD type & want to know why I am even posting this.. Here ya go..

Longer story....

I did not take any pictures... yesterday... Since I was traveling like my old days , I did not carry a camera then most of the time then. I tried it, & now I am back to "whenever I have good reason"..
Otherwise, it is left in the vehicle, or if I do have it on me out there...I just don;t muck around with it... Besides, if I make a video, doin it is usually a hassle since I am by myself, diting takes even more time when needed & it
 seems like folks don't give a crap if ya do it, unless you are a "Guru", or have something to sell..
( Another story)

I digress ( AS usual)

Back in the days when a camera was not used much , even when carried, I dd not like it. I just have had an aversion to taking photos. I regret it now, but it was one of those tenets as I grew up that you only took pics when you were done.
"What happens in the woods, stays in the woods.."
I have reverted to those old days even now. Much time in the woods, not so much time taking pictures.( or video)

{Although I must add Many Thanks to Ron, for helping me out a few years back in taking pics & videos for those who might be interested. :) }

Anyway,

Yesterday, I decided to go to to a place that I am well familiar with in my jaunts, to let the dogs run around & it was along one of the trout streams I have in my area.

I parked about 75 yards from a trout stream and let the dogs out to have some fun as I closed up the jeep for my short jaunt.

I had not walked about 50 yards into the woods & I had that funny feeling something was not right.

Most of the time the "boys" stay pretty close, but on this occasion they were tardy. That set off a bit of an alarm. I heard the water of the trout stream splashing, but only enough for "one" of them. The other was up to "no good"....

So, thinking something was not right, and whistling to get them to pay attention to me & not so much anything else since they have been trained to it; I worked my way to the crick as fast as I could.

As I came up to the crick, I angrily discovered, as Jasper, the 3 yr old Aus. Shep. ran towards me,(of course, not guilty he thought & trying to prove it), I see that Duke, the 9 year old Chocolate Lab, getting pretty familiar with a dead deer in the middle of some slack water of the crick.

I whistled & yelled again. Close enough now that he knows I can not only get on his Ass , but throw a stick, or a rock at him if he doesn't pay any more attention..
       "Hey, Good times!!", Duke is thinking..." I have something smelly to have fun with today..".. "OOOps! Better move off... Here comes the man"...

With that reminder, Duke immediately knew the jig was up & moved off like nothing whatsoever was an issue. "Everything was just fine!", according to "his" world, & "What so much was the matter?".

Well, I was not happy.  Not so much that Duke decided that rubbing around in a dead deer carcass was a good idea, and at least he did not start to try to eat it,
 but so much that I now knew that since I was not expecting this situation. I was not prepared for 2 stinky dogs in the jeep this time of year.
It had been cold. Now, as this happens,  it in the mid 50s & not so easy to deal with stinky dogs. If you are familiar about such things, you will know... IF not, be happy ya don't know..

Well, to get to the end of things..

This is a dead doe, &  as of the time we got there... a coyote, raccoon, possum, eagle, crow,etc. eaten deer ,
right in the middle of a "pristine"trout stream, about 500 yards upstream of where I can get water & I do my dishes on occasion when I am hanging out there...

Cut to the chase now as I have dallied long enough in the tellin' , and so...

"Moral of the story",  & the reason I am posting:

Know your water source. Check upstream as far as you are comfortable to use the water. When you go to use the water, treat it as if there is a friggin Dead animal laying in the water, running or not, in the water, or upstream from where you are getting the water.

------------------

I could add more to this, but I am not...
Please... Let it be part of a discussion, if it gets to that.

If ya have a question about the story, shoot. If not. I am Ok with that too.
 :)

BTW... I might go back & take some pics for those of you who need pictures to complete something or ya don't believe what was said.. Picture a dead doe with the non water logged ribs sticking out, a floating pile of fur against the far side of the slack water of the stream & a smell that attracts critters, including you dog to it & you have a pretty good mental pic of what I can go out & record on digital media for some ones satisfaction who likely doesn't spend enough time in the woods to actually know what I am describing..

{ P.S.- Actually saw a dead crow when I was out shooting pistols with the missus 2 days ago. Did not take pics of that either. But it is there. Or, was. Never saw what eats crow out in the woods, but I have eaten crow before in civilization. ;) Might have to go take pics of that dead crow too... just to prove my words...}

That's my story & I'm sticking to it..

What you got?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:58:35 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Check your water source
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:28:40 PM »
I got no pictures either.

Long time ago, going into a good fishing lake in the high country of Colorado, and this is back when you usually drank water out of creeks in the high country without a thought of all the bugs you might ingest.  Anyway laid on my stomach and drank deeply from the wonderful cold mountain stream and pronounced the water as great tasting.  Got up and proceeded on and up and over the next hill about fifty feet from the spot I am drinking from lays a dead bighorn sheep.  A ewe as I recall.  Decomposed to the point of flesh streaming off in the flow of the water and me thinking that I am going to die but wondering why it tasted so good.  Well I obviously didn't die from that but I worried about all manner of stuff, none of which showed up.  Cured me for a time from drinking out of creeks up high but I was soon enough back at it; but not in that creek anymore.

You cannot go far enough up stream to get to the source most of the time and that is the rub.  Giardia and those kind of things are like hunting, you never know where the hunted will be found.  You don't know what is in the water anymore and must boil it or treat it or filter it.  Unless you're a dog.  Dogs got it made.  Drink anything and the world is their toilet.  What a life.  And no, I ain't been drinking alcohol.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:11:12 AM »
  Funny thing about the "good old days",  we think of a time way back in our youth when things were unspoiled, there's so much we didn't have to worry about then,  no air born illnesses, ticks didn't ruin your life,  all clear running water was clean enough to drink,  and the food we took on camping trips as kids didn't seem to need as much refrigeration as food does today,  go figure.
 IMHO I think we were just more innocent, or you could say ignorant,  and in many cases just plain lucky, the streams in Stan's high country may have been cleaner when he was a kid,  but here in New England back in "the day",  farming, textile mills, Machine shops,  the shoe industry and US Rubber Co. all conspired to get rid of waste water from their production into the rivers and streams,  close to the businesses that dumped crap in the water the streams either smelled bad or the beds were coated with rust or green slime.
 Since the late '50's on going clean ups,  EPA regulations,  the demise of manufacturing, and the closing down of small family farms has had a big impact on clean water and clean air,  but none the less, as a kid if the water didn't smell or look bad we'd drink it and swim in it and mostly we didn't get sick, or if we did we didn't connect it to the water.
 Up until I was in my mid thirties I wasn't all that fussy about drinking "clean water" from water sources that looked good,  then one day on the way to our favorite camping spot on the Cape we stooped at a McDonalds and had lunch, I don't remember what the wife and kids had, but I had a Big Mac,  that after noon after setting up our camp I got a little qweezy,  within an hour I wanted to die to end the pain in my belly and in my head,  my wife wanted to go for help and I told her (it was so bad) I'd shoot the first SOB who tried to move me.
 Well about an hour or so of that and I started to throw up and felt better, within another hour or so I felt normal again,  I'm guessing it was the mayo topping on the Big Mac that went bad,  but ever since that day I'm real careful about what I put in my mouth,  I carry my water in and when I need more I either filter it or treat it with Water Pour, and then I boil it just to be sure.
 Like JB said, you can never be sure, so it's best to err on the side of caution.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
My dad taught me to never drink any water that was not issuing directly from the ground and, even then, never drink it unless I was inches from that source.   That has proven to be good advice..........so far. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:37 AM »
  I went & took some pics & made a short video out there yesterday afternoon, but I forgot the camera in the Jeep last night. I will go out & get it later & post them up if anyone wants to look at them.

Dead doe top, just left of center, and a chunk of fur against log on right about halfway down.

Fur in water, lower left corner

I think I might go back there today with my muck boots on & pull it up out of there. Then let Nature clean up the mess on shore, rather than in the water.

ETA: Did not go back today to yank it out, it will have to be next week, as I have to go out of town for a couple days. Added the pics & video.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:49:34 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
Not sure why the G word was brought up here. It seems copy and pasted from another forum maybe?

I don't take much video or pictures unless there is some thing new and different "out back". Having said that I do enjoy Bearthedog's posts of his outings and gear. Come summer I will probably be sharing a lot more stuff of what I do because it's sort of an on line diary I can go back and look through.

Now about this deer. My mother in law got real sick and very weak. Thought she was going to die. Turns out she had Giardia. They have an artisan well. The woods debris built up on the upper side of the well. Water runoff was seeping into the well water and there happened to be a decaying deer carcass just up the hill.

My Father in law added an expensive filtration system to their house. After years of mocking my wife for drinking bottled water, she will now only drink that. Won't trust the filter because she never wants to go through anything like that again. This is from a VERY frugal woman that has lived mostly off their land for 30+ years.

Man I do feel your pain. My mongrels get into some nasty quite often. I'm lucky we're usually just out back of the house. The last time we were out Julia found some very old and brittle bones right where I hang out back there. Kind of weird that they just surfaced.

I always carry a water filter. It's an old school Katadyn hiker but a brand I trust. Seems the sawyer mini is very popular and half the price of just a replacement filter for mine. I'll stick with mine. Boil it anyway!!!!!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »

My dad taught me to never drink any water that was not issuing directly from the ground and, even then, never drink it unless I was inches from that source.   That has proven to be good advice..........so far. :shrug:

I'd bet you drank water in the BWCA you were not too concerned about at the time. I know I have.
;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »

I'd bet you drank water in the BWCA you were not too concerned about at the time. I know I have.
;)

JB, being a bonafide Minnesota Sportsman, you above all others should remember that old Hamm's commercial with the cartoon bear singing about "the land of sky-blue waters!"   Back when I first started going up there in 1962 with the rest of the Eagle Scouts in my troop, we were assured by the outfitters that if we took all of our potable water from middle of the bigger lakes it would be safe to drink without boiling or adding bleach or iodine......those being the only ways we had to 'purify' water in those days.  Of course, there were FAR fewer people using the area back then, too, and it was pretty much still a pristine 'wilderness.'  Nobody had even heard about giardiasis, yet......maybe it was before it was invented, I dun'no? :shrug:   

Ignorance is bliss, as they say, and none of us got sick, but as the years passed, the numbers of outfitters increased (there were only 2 when I first went up there), the numbers of campsites went up, the reservation system was implemented to accommodate the increasing numbers of campers, etc......we ended up carrying one of the first little water filtering pumps with the replaceable filters. 

I never did get sick from untreated lake water in the BWCAW, but I did get sick from the supposedly safe water that came from the hydrants in the Snaring River Campground up in Jasper National Park in Alberta......on TWO separate occasions!   My brother had no problems drinking it, but it made me REALLY sick......I bought bottled water the last time I was there because I remembered the old saying about doing the same thing over & over and expecting different results. :P

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

I was just yanking on your chain a bit for some cheap innocent fun.
 :)
I too , have canoed up there & scooped a handful out of the lake as we went. Not much today, though, for mostly the reasons ya mentioned. Boil, filter, or ground sourced in a pristine area, now a days...
 ;)

Sure! I remember Hamms! One of my favorite beers back before Budweiser. Quaffed more than one, y'know..
 ;)

When I went into the Corps., I could not get Hamms, Grain Belt or Shmidt(the original no "s" (IFRC), not the new one.) beer
, or any of the others I enjoyed so much, So , I changed to the beer I could get pretty much worldwide, Budweiser, & stuck to it since. On occasion though, I run across old beers I used to like & when I have the chance, try one again. LOL
 Now, here is one of the best reasons I have ever seen to use this dohicky>>>  :cheers:

P.S. - Clean water is good, but sometimes a beer is better.
LOL
 ;)

Some history for those who are not familiar:

1950's Hamms commercial

1960's

1970's

Once again...
 :cheers:

:D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »
THAT brought back some memories......I loved the duck chiming in, too. :lol:      I kind'a forgot about it.....maybe too many Hamm's between then & now. :shrug:

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
wolfy remember come to the land of the skyblue waters, the ole hamms
beer comercial. .anyhow don't drink any water that ain't been boiled and filterd. period\
btw once i saw tiny shrimp like creatures come out of tap water in chicago
and i'm not saying sea monkeys either.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:04:00 PM by hayshaker »