Author Topic: Bake Kettle VS Dutch oven VS Reflector oven VS Spider  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Bake Kettle VS Dutch oven VS Reflector oven VS Spider
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse,  but sometimes people get too technical about nomenclature,  who ever tagged a Dutch Oven a bake kettle died a long, long time ago and the name itself hasn't been uttered more than a time or two in the last hundred years if at all,  most people know them as cast iron pots or Dutch Ovens,  why complicate it now ?
  Also, reflector ovens made of Aluminum and sheet steel whether production made or custom made are available on the web for $70.00 or less,  I've made several myself that fold flat, use toaster oven grill grates from Walmart for $2.95, I made one out of Aluminum flashing, one out of thin Stainless salvaged from a Stainless counter top,  and one out of cardboard covered with aluminum foil, all worked very well, the most expensive one cost me under $20.00 dollars.
  There are quite a few tutorials on line showing different ways to make a reflector oven on the cheap.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
You're right.....anyone with a lick of sense can whip up a passable reflector oven or 'Dutch oven,' but unless you own a foundry, an iron, 3-legged, BAKE KETTLE is tough to build. :taunt:  :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 04:48:02 AM »
The only advantage for the tin oven might be spit roasting.  I dunno, I never tried it.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »
You're right.....anyone with a lick of sense can whip up a passable reflector oven or 'Dutch oven,' but unless you own a foundry, an iron, 3-legged, BAKE KETTLE is tough to build. :taunt:  :lol:

Which is why I said what I did about reflector ovens but didn't suggest building your own Dutch oven,  however one doesn't need to $75.00 ~ $100.00 or more for a lodge or vintage cast oven,  box stores such as Big Lots, Job Lot, and Walmart offer plain cast or porcelain coated cast iron Dutch Ovens made in Asia for $19.99 ~ $39.99 depending on size, they may not have the name recognition but the cook and bake just as well. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »
The only advantage for the tin oven might be spit roasting.  I dunno, I never tried it.

Actually "Tin" reflector ovens do have an advantage over Cast iron Dutch Ovens in many baking applications,  they bake slower, allow monitoring, aren't so prone to burning baked foods like Dutch ovens do if not watched carefully,  they also do a good job of roasting meats and poultry,  I use mine allot to bake fresh caught fish.
 It's also very easy to adapt a home made reflector oven with a spit,  Lowe's and Home Depot sell just the spit and forks without the brackets and electric motors for about $12.00,  all you have to do is drill the appropriate sized hole on either side of your oven, then snip out a slot on an angle on one side,  mine came with a squared shaft and a wooden handle, you just rotate the split every 10 minutes or so using the wooden handle,  the shaft stays where ever you want it to because of the squared corners on the shaft.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 04:49:07 PM »

Actually "Tin" reflector ovens do have an advantage over Cast iron Dutch Ovens in many baking applications,  they bake slower, allow monitoring, aren't so prone to burning baked foods like Dutch ovens do if not watched carefully,  they also do a good job of roasting meats and poultry,  I use mine allot to bake fresh caught fish.
 It's also very easy to adapt a home made reflector oven with a spit,  Lowe's and Home Depot sell just the spit and forks without the brackets and electric motors for about $12.00,  all you have to do is drill the appropriate sized hole on either side of your oven, then snip out a slot on an angle on one side,  mine came with a squared shaft and a wooden handle, you just rotate the split every 10 minutes or so using the wooden handle,  the shaft stays where ever you want it to because of the squared corners on the shaft.
If that's a challenge (and it sounds like it is), I challenge you to a bake-off! :duel:   My BAKE KETTLE against your REFLECTOR OVEN.....anything you care to bake, anytime! :coffee:     The gauntlet has been thrown! :chopwood:   

Oh, and "PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN," of course. 8)  :rofl:

POST SCRIPT:  "I bake damned good biscuits, boy."
                       -Jeremiah Johnson
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:55:58 PM by wolfy »

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
I suggest a full grown hog, spit roasted whole.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »
I can do a 12-14 lb. turkey in my bake kettle, but if Moe selects a hog.....I admit defeat. :'(

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2017, 10:59:27 AM »
  Hey Craig,  I'm up to a challenge, but you'd have to take my word about the results,  pictures as you very well know are not an option for me usually.
  As the challenger you'd have to pick the food, just play fair and pick something that will fit into my reflector oven, it'll take up to a 12"x 16" baking sheet or shallow roasting pan,  and actual baking or roasting times will be quicker in a Dutch Oven that it will be in a reflector oven, so in my opinion the only result that would count for a win to be fair would be on the quality of the finished food and the ease of clean up when it's finished.
  Clean up could be considerably shortened if you use Dutch Oven pot liners, which would be fair in my opinion.

Some day before too long we'll have to get together in PM's and you can school me about posting pictures on the forum ??? ?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
I suggest a full grown hog, spit roasted whole.

LOL, I'd need a year to save up for materials and get a reflector oven built to take a full sized hog. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2017, 12:25:39 PM »
OK, let's bake a loaf of sourdough bread.  I've posted pictures of our sourdough bread loaves baked in a 10" deep Lodge bake kettle in past threads......do a search.  If you can't see them because of the recent Photobucket fiasco, I'll bake another loaf and use Imgur this time.

Roasting times ARE usually shorter in the bake kettle, not because of temperature, but because of the tight fit of the lid on a GOOD oven like a Lodge......baking temperatures have to be controlled no matter what means you use to make it happen.  Almost all bake kettle users employ way too much poorly placed bottom temperature and burn the food.....it doesn't take much.   Moisture is created in the baking process and that lid-fit is crucial to its being used to advantage in sourdough bread baking.  High initial baking temperature, followed by a decreased oven temperature creates the best sourdough loaf.  Reflector ovens do not allow that initial high-heat, high-humidity environment, but good luck in trying to make it happen in your tin contraption. ;D

As far as oven liners are concerned.....I've never used 'em and never will.  Why would I?....I never burn anything.  It's just a needless expense & something else to mess with.......a quart of water brought to a boil in the closed oven and a quick swish with a dish mop cleans out anything sticky from baking things like cinnamon rolls.  Dump it out, set back on the dying coals to dry and I'm done.  I don't even oil them because they're seasoned....no worries about rust, ever.

If you don't have a sourdough start, I'll send you one from the one I started in 1976.  That way we're starting at the same starting line with a very active culture.  :duel:

BONNE CHANCE, MON AMI! :cheers:

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2017, 01:28:25 AM »
Probably the most "traditional" of all the Dutch Ovens is the South African Potjie. This is because it's largely unchanged from the time of the Dutch voortrekkers of the 1830s. From what I can tell the biggest change is the full wire handle. The old timers both here in Aus, and over there in South Africa used a pair of long wire/steel rod hooks on a short length of chain to pick up the Dutch Oven and move it around. We have a lot of South Africans here in Oz so you can pick up a potjie pretty cheaply and the rest of the Aussie camp oven cooking fraternity haven't quite caught on as yet ;-)

Here's a mob selling them in the USA - http://potjiepotusa.com/potjie-pots-3-leg-best-duty.html (no affiliation - just found them in a google search)

Potjie on the fire - picture stolen from the internet

Personally I no longer use a cast iron camp oven for my camp cookery. I have a bunch of vintage and antique cast iron dutch ovens here, but I'll probably sell them off at some stage. Instead I tend to use a 12 inch diameter sheet steel traditional Aussie "Bedourie" camp oven. If you're careful with your heat control it'll do a roast beef or damper just as evenly as a cast iron dutch oven, but it's less than half the weight of a comparable sized cast iron type. The lid overlaps halfway down the main pot which keeps the coals and ash out of your food and the lid can be upturned for use as a frypan. Along with a quartpot and a 3 litre tinware billy can, the Bedourie oven makes up the largest part of my (vehicle-borne) camp cookery outfit.

A drover cooking a damper in a deep bedourie oven in South Australia circa 1963. The flatter type near the fire is pretty much identical to mine.

Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 07:11:57 AM »
Throw another shrimp in the potjie, buzz!  :cheers:

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=4959.0

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2017, 06:59:30 PM »
Hmmmmm...good piggin!
-John Denver