Author Topic: freeze dried trail food alturnative  (Read 1057 times)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
freeze dried trail food alturnative
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:31:26 AM »
  There have been many discussions on outdoor forums over what to carry for light weight trail foods, especially when backpacking or otherwise traveling light,  the favorite options of most hikers and campers are either freeze dried prepared meals from Mountain House and other brands or making their own packaged dehydrated meals.
  I've used both and found them to be satisfactory,  some better than others,  I've also made up menus from canned an dried super market shelf foods like beans, minute rice, Knor's sides, spam, etc.
  Usually the packaged Mountain House type meals can get expensive,  most are loaded with salt, others like Knor's pasta and rice meals require additional ingredients to complete the meals,  some folks have claimed having good luck with Dollar Store freeze dried packaged meals.
  Last fall my wife saw an ad for survival food from Patriot Survival Foods,  they offered sample variety packs of their individually packaged meals,  part of our preparedness plans against storms, shortages, or what ever is to have some survival foods with a long shelf life in our emergency stores,  in the past it's been mostly a couple of cases of modern MRE's.
  My wife decided to give Patriot Foods a try, she ordered a Sample pack of 16 individual meals,  the cost was $19.95 with free shipping,  at less than $1.25 per meal that's about a quarter of the average cost of a Mountain House entr?e,  after trying a few of them we were very impressed with the quality, ingredients, and taste of Patriot's offerings,  properly stored they have a shelf life of 25 years,  and they make an excellent inexpensive alternative to most name brand backpacking pre packaged meals, preparation is simple,  add boiling water to the Mylar foil package zip seal the bag and let it sit for about 15~20 minutes and it's done, eat it right out of the bag if you mind cleaning a bowl or plate.
  Patriot runs these specials often,  we just put in another order from them, some for the emergency stores and some for my day hikes.

Good stuff cheap.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: freeze dried trail food alturnative
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
Thanks Moe.  Been looking for something like that.  Other than a TEOTWAWKI, a Katrina, or an Andrew we seldom go without being able to get to a store for food.  Lowes/Home Depots and groceries are usually innavigable prestorm with panic buying but after a few days thing get back to normal.  So our prep is just a bit over the camping cache.  And I didn't want to stock up on expensive MH stuff.  I don't really like it.  So it's a DIY box.

I'll have to try this brand.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »

The sample pack appears to have been raised to 24.95 since you folks bought yours, Moe.
;)
http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/16_Serving_Sample_Pack_p/zf_72hour.htm

Their Home page: https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emergency_Survival_Food_s/104.htm

I may try one of these myself anyway. I usually use the Knorrs packages & dried stuffing/ potato mixes in the pouch most of the time when out.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
Great post, Moe!  :thumbsup:   We buy very little of the Mountain House type meals just for the reasons you stated.  Once upon a time though, when freeze-dried meals were first becoming available and one of the civilian benefits of the NASA space program, they were about the only game in town.  Like you said, many of those types of foods have since become standard grocery store items. :thumbsup:

Our first experience with them took place when when it became illegal to import cans or bottles into the BWCAW & Quetico Provincial Park.  We used very few of them, except for a 'special' meal like freeze-dried pork chops & freeze-dried green peas that were supplemented with instant mashed potatoes and the 'cooked' Jello chocolate pudding that we mixed with powdered Carnation milk.  It made a pretty darned good meal!  The freeze-dried carrots were another story; they looked beautiful after rehydrating and cooking, but had the consistency of diced chaga no matter how long you tried boiling them......never did try charring any to catch a spark, but I'll bet they would have!

I'm going to check that place out that you brought to our attention.  It sounds like a good product with fair prices.....a rare commodity these days.  Thanks a lot for letting us know about it! :cheers:

.....and THANKS to you, too, JB for providing the links! :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »

The sample pack appears to have been raised to 24.95 since you folks bought yours, Moe.
;)
http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/16_Serving_Sample_Pack_p/zf_72hour.htm

Their Home page: https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emergency_Survival_Food_s/104.htm

I may try one of these myself anyway. I usually use the Knorrs packages & dried stuffing/ potato mixes in the pouch most of the time when out.
:)

Thanks for the update JB,  the Sample pack you linked doesn't seem to have changed except for the price,  my wife bought ours last Sept.,  so that was close to eight months ago, and it may have been on sale,  but even at $25.00 a pack that's still only $1.60 a meal,  still pretty cheap for quality trail food or an emergency meal, the new order we placed was for a bigger package with more variety and some desert items.
  I'm a pretty good home cook so we are fussy eaters,  preferring our home cooking to restaurant food, we don't eat out very often,  so if we're satisfied with Patriot's offerings it's got to be above average,  another thing I like about their stuff is that every portion is individually sealed,  so you don't have to worry about resealing the original master container,  my son bought another brand that comes in five gallon buckets that have the same shelf life and it tastes pretty good, but when you open the seal on the bucket you have to add extra a bag of salt or rice to the container and be careful where it's stored to assure it's longevity.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
Thanks Moe.  Been looking for something like that.  Other than a TEOTWAWKI, a Katrina, or an Andrew we seldom go without being able to get to a store for food.  Lowes/Home Depots and groceries are usually innavigable prestorm with panic buying but after a few days thing get back to normal.  So our prep is just a bit over the camping cache.  And I didn't want to stock up on expensive MH stuff.  I don't really like it.  So it's a DIY box.

I'll have to try this brand.

Same here Max,  most of the big super market chains along with Walmart, Sam's Club, and BJ's have their New England distribution warehouses within a 30 mile radius of my place so stores get restocked pretty fast in my area,  still you never know,  I've lived through the Blizzard of '78 and a couple of bad hurricanes where there was nothing left in the way of groceries for a week or two at a time,  so even though the odd's of not being able to get store bought stuff are slim,  I still feel better about having a well stocked pantry and freezer that'll get us through a rough spell,  along with that we keep both tanks topped off on the camper van and all of our camp stoves, lanterns, and heaters in good working order with enough fuel to last awhile,  we also keep plenty of fresh batteries and candles on hand.
 We have a generator setup hooked to the house supply in case of long term power outage that will keep the refrigerators and freezers cold and will power the heating system a few times a day,  we keep a couple of five gallon gas cans full and can always tap the gas in our vehicles if we run short.
 It may sound a little overboard,  but at our ages it takes a little more care to keep us running than it did when we were in our prime.   

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:32:03 AM »
Great post, Moe!  :thumbsup:   We buy very little of the Mountain House type meals just for the reasons you stated.  Once upon a time though, when freeze-dried meals were first becoming available and one of the civilian benefits of the NASA space program, they were about the only game in town.  Like you said, many of those types of foods have since become standard grocery store items. :thumbsup:

Our first experience with them took place when when it became illegal to import cans or bottles into the BWCAW & Quetico Provincial Park.  We used very few of them, except for a 'special' meal like freeze-dried pork chops & freeze-dried green peas that were supplemented with instant mashed potatoes and the 'cooked' Jello chocolate pudding that we mixed with powdered Carnation milk.  It made a pretty darned good meal!  The freeze-dried carrots were another story; they looked beautiful after rehydrating and cooking, but had the consistency of diced chaga no matter how long you tried boiling them......never did try charring any to catch a spark, but I'll bet they would have!

I'm going to check that place out that you brought to our attention.  It sounds like a good product with fair prices.....a rare commodity these days.  Thanks a lot for letting us know about it! :cheers:

.....and THANKS to you, too, JB for providing the links! :hail:

I'd suggest giving a sample pack a try,  I doubt you'd be disappointed, It's not the Ritz, but it's allot better than Ramen's Noodles or Kraft blue box Mac & cheese.  (Grin)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
Thanks Moe.
 I have what sounds like a similar product. Preparation instructions are similar, the sample pack I tried tasted good. Not too bad, at leas.  So I bought a few months worth. The years since have started to add up, but I have never opened one of the cases or checked to see how it was doing.

Ya gave me a notion to get curious and check if the stuff that s still keeping.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
Thanks Moe.
 I have what sounds like a similar product. Preparation instructions are similar, the sample pack I tried tasted good. Not too bad, at leas.  So I bought a few months worth. The years since have started to add up, but I have never opened one of the cases or checked to see how it was doing.

Ya gave me a notion to get curious and check if the stuff that s still keeping.

Good idea,  you wouldn't want to be in actual need and get sick at the same time.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
if you have a vaccum sealer and don't mind a little repackaging
augason farms sells #10 cans of freeze dryied and dehydrated
friuts& veggies in the bulk food section at some super almarts.
thier also online. the strawberries are to die for. i used to make
my own acessorie packs like the ones you'd fnd in real issiue MREs
not the repacked civilian versions. it's something the off the shelf
items one can find to outfit chow for a hike.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:15:32 PM by hayshaker »

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 08:42:34 PM »
Last year we purchased 2 of their sampler packs and tried one. It was great! We have the other in our 'emergency' pantry along with a sampler pack of their coffee. Every now and then I get an email from them with promos and such. Going to try their other products when Nature Girl gets over some health issues.
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »

Thanks for your input on your experience with Patriot survival foods,  their products have been satisfactory so far for us as well,  there are quite a few companies offering survival type foods, the wife and I have been wanting to add to our emergency pantry for several years, we have kept MRE's in the past for that reason and I used them quite a bit while off road camping and when on hunting and fishing trips,  I used to keep a half dozen in my camper van,  they are handy and don't need any special attention.
 But even MRE's are way too expensive today to buy in case lots,  and many brands are not as good as the Millspec. stuff,  many of the "survival foods" brands target the Prepper community and they are quite pricy as well,  we have friends who purchased a one year two people package from another company and received five gallon buckets of different grains and rice, much of it having to be ground and processed.
 For us, it's easier to either add boiling water, or even simmer for a few minutes and get ready to eat food,  add quality, taste, an affordable cost, a 25 year shelf life and it's a no brainer. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
I received two boxes of the Patriot Survival Foods special offer yesterday.  Thought we would cook up a meal with one of them tonight and went with the mac and cheese. 

They get an A plus for taste.  It was, to me, better than the boxed mac and cheese from the grocery.  So here is an evaluation.

We cooked the whole package.  Primarily because 1/2 cup of mac and cheese don't cut it around our house for one meal when that is all we are eating along with a whole wheat roll and butter.  The mac and cheese is difficult to cut down to more than one cooking due to the ingredients coming already mixed together.  The uncooked mac is already mixed with the spice and it is hard to judge how much to cook, say enough for one or two people, and get the amount of macaroni in correct proportion with spices.  It would be better to separate the uncooked mac from the spices by screening it into a bowl while leaving the macaroni behind then you can split it up and repackage.

The stuff has a lot of salt in it.  Like 46% of the MDA.  320 calories with 80 calories from fat if you eat a half a cup.  Cooking time ran about 24 minutes once the water was boiling.  You boil water and then add the mix and whisk it in.  Cook twenty minutes on low heat stirring often and when done let it set for three or four minutes to thicken.  It did come out pretty thick and about the right consistency. 

We would order this again.   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:01:21 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »
I think from a health perspective trail food reguardless who the manufactuer is.
all more so than not contain high ammounts of sodium.  that said
people with  hypertention or other similar disorders, would need to stay
quite active, in order to burn off the high sodium ammounts.

with some reserch and work many such meals can be custom made
to reach a desired taste. how about dehydrated crawfish etoufee
or dehydrated shrimp diane with white rice. make your own menu.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
Anybody tried the corn chowder?  55% off until Mon.  I might go for an order of that.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
If you get some of that let us know what you think of it.  I like corn chowder but didn't pay much attention to what they have on sale once I ordered the package.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »
I was looking at the Patriot website.  I don't see much 'real meat' in their products, and the prices don't seem much better than what I buy Mountain House for at BePrepared.com   Almost reminds me of Wise Foods products.