Author Topic: An old dog learns some new tricks.  (Read 149 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
An old dog learns some new tricks.
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:04 PM »
Crispy coating for anything deep fried:

This from an Asian chef.  To get your sweet 'n' sour chicken or pork to come out crunchy crisp, no oil in the breading, and juicy, use rice flour.
Put an ample amount of rice flour in a bowl and add just enough ice cold water to make a batter a bit thinner than pancake batter.  Add salt, pepper and any additional spices you desire.
Dredge the meat in the batter and pop in hot oil (375F-400F). Fry only once until just golden brown.

Can't wait to try this with fish fillets!

Tenderize almost anything:

This works on fowl, or fur. I'm thinking I wish I would have known this when I dined on Pine Martin back in the day.

Take your squirrel, pork country ribs, tough cut of beef or whatever and soak it for 1 hr to over night in a bath of 1/4 cup baking soda to 1 quart of water.  I don't know the chemistry behind it, but it works better than citric acid, milk or anything else I've tried over the years.

For our stir fries, we soak the cubed chicken meat in the baking soda, then use the rice flour coating.  Melt in the mouth tender!

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.