Author Topic: cheap chem free pack meals?  (Read 867 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
cheap chem free pack meals?
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
In the other thread on freeze dried food this link to patriot foods was the topic of discussion. I agree it's a good deal for some good food.

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/16_Serving_Sample_Pack_p/zf_72hour.htm

BUT, It had a few chemicals I'm not sure are the best. their grany's tater soup has these ingredients.

I found at Aldi's, (again with the Aldi's) These rice meals. They are nuke able but can be heated in boiling water. They have garden vegetable and spanish rice. They cost $1.29 and have decent ingredients. A couple of disodium's I wish wasn't but gotta keep it fresh. Similar to Knorr's but they have monosodium glutamate which I stay away from.

This garden vegetable mix is excellent. Add some tuna and a little balsamic vinegar, chicken and franks redhot, or Maybe pepperoni and Mustard ?

A few oatmeal packets and some crackers and peanut butter and I think it's a win for a couple day's out.

I'd like to see more simple ingredient ready to eat foods. I keep putting the mountain house single packs back at walmart. I need to start packaging my own to save more and have healthier foods.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
Re: cheap chem free pack meals?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
well sadly but here's the deal due to food laws and thier many.  many ingrdients
have to be put in processed foods.  if you trully want healthy make your own.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:51:13 AM »
yes! I have a great dehydrator. I always plan to go to the local market and load up, but usually end up doing other things. I'd like a pig stock pile of veggies that I can add to pasta and rice.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/ Has some nicely priced MRE'S as well as back packer's pantry, augason farms, and future essentials.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
 My being a food snob and being food sensitive, I can appreciate your strive to get the healthiest trail food possible,  as has been mentioned, all processed foods such as canned, tinned, and dried foods have to by law contain certain preservatives that insure that the food will remain safe for the time indicated on the labeling.
  I have a dehydrator and have experimented with slow drying different foods,  from veggies to meats, stews, pasta dishes and the like,  it works very well for a short term option,  home dehydrating and vacuum storage bags can only preserve food for so long without the help of added preservatives and special storage.
  Also, some nutrients, taste and texture are lost in the process of dehydrating that are not lost in the Freeze Drying Process,  and at some point it becomes more of a chore and more costly to process your own survival/ trail food considering that most of the preservatives used in the processing and packaging of commercial canned and freeze dried meals and foods are harmless in the amounts used.
  The same concerns are often raise in these types of forums when it comes to camp cookware and food storage containers,  some concerns discussed are excess iron leaching from cast iron cookware,  Aluminum poisoning from prolonged use of Aluminum pots and skillets, chemicals released from non-stick coatings,  chemicals released from water bottles and containers,  any scientific evidence that these agents in foods and cookware are harmful has been gained in lab tests which test animals were fed enormous amounts of those chemicals or placed on diets long term that consisted of only chemical laced foods.
  There is really no evidence that anyone has ever been injured or poisoned by a Spam sandwich fried in an aluminum skillet,  IMHO being health conscious is a good thing,  but like most good things, it can be overdone.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
I understand. I guess my goal is to find the best premade food for hiking that doesn't have to have a 25 year or even 5 year shelf life. There are few options for pre made rice meals not yet cooked that seem to have no additives. I haven't tried them yet though. Walmart seems to moving in that direction, for healthier meals.

sometimes MSG is simply in the ingredients label as spices. They say it's a myth about the allergy or illness from it as it's a natural amino acid. Yet 6 sour cream and onion Pringles puts me in bed praying for death. Cambell's soup made my vision fuzzy tunnel like and a wicked dizziness that made me go home early from work. I'm not sure what it is but it's usually msg labeled when I get that headache.

I'm still learning and trying to get my stuff together for a week long trip. My pack is down to 15 lbs minus sleeping bag and food. That includes a net tent and hammock for either hanging or grounded with the 15x10 tarp takes and guy lines. 4 lbs of food and a 4lbs pack is good as I'll be canoeing or mountain biking. soon I hope.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
Perhaps some of the problem lies with us wanting the great flavors of home cooking but with food from a bag.  Maybe we need to learn to eat and enjoy truly simple foods like boiled white or brown rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal and other dried grains.  Instant mashed potatoes is fairly palatable with just salt and pepper.  Make bannock from flour or even Hoe Cakes from stone ground cornmeal.  Yes, it takes longer but what is the hurry?  My long term emergency/survival foods are all just beans and grains and potatoes.  I have many cans of Spam and large jars of soup bouillon to add flavor.  And coffee and honey.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »
These days I have much of the same foods as QC.  Most of mine came from the Mormon warehouse food center and consists of items packed for long shelf life. 

Years ago when camping or mountain climbing we ate Knorr's soup mix and added homemade spice packs that had just routine spices from the grocery added for flavor.  We used instant oatmeal and on occasion we boiled rice on the trusty camp stove.  Freeze dried foods were just coming into wide use and there were some things that were okay.  A lot of camping was high altitude and fishing was usually part of the activity.  Fish was fried or steamed on the little Optimus stove.  We took pancake mix and a tube of margarine.  Always had a tube of peanut butter along too. 

Oddly I do not recall every reading a packaged food label in those days to see what was in it (or I have forgotten about it).   :-X

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:55:49 PM »
That is where we got the bulk of our emergency food.  The LDS church will sell to anyone.  It usually come in a box of six #10 cans with a 25 year shelf life. Shipping is very reasonable, too.  They have warehouses around the country so you need to google for one the closest to you.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »
I pick up mine when we go to Denver.  A friend volunteers there are fills my order for me.  He isn't LDS nor am I so I was pleased when he said they sold to anyone.  Great source for bulk and well packaged food.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
  My only problem with foods so far is being sensitive to restaurant foods,  for the longest time after turning about 40 years old I'd end up not feeling well after eating out, most times I'd have to get home within an hour or so of eating to be close to the john.
  When I finally talked to my doctor about it and had a few tests it was determined that I had a sensitivity to food bacteria from foods that were left out too long with refrigeration or being kept warm which restaurant kitchens are noted for,  most people can tolerate that kind of mild bacteria,  I had to be one of the unlucky ones who can't. 
  So I can appreciate xj35's problem with food sensitivity or allergies,  I'm lucky in that I can eat just about anything short of something that's laid around on a counter for several hours,  my usual these days are day trips,  there are so many options for back packing meals available today right from the super market shelves,  and I'm always learning.
  A few weeks ago while buying rice at the super market I read the instructions on a package of "Quick" rice,  I use rice allot for trail food, Instant potatoes, grits, and Ramen noodles also,  I have always used regular rice which has to be simmered for about 25 minutes, so when I read in the directions that first you use a one to one ratio of rice to water,  and don't have to simmer,  just measure out your rice, add an equal measure of boiling water, cover,  and take it off the heat, let stand for about 10~15 minutes and it's done.
  I tried it and it worked, and it tasted like regular cooked rice,  I don't agree all together with QC about learning to enjoy the simple taste of some foods,  especially those like plain white rice or instant potatoes, in my opinion neither are very appetizing when eaten like it comes,  both can benefit from a few seasonings and herbs.
  Whether going for a day or a few days, if I'm going to be in camp I like to make a real cooked main meal,  a small pot of soup, stew, chili, or a good steak or pork chops,  maybe a green salad, if planed well all the ingredients to make a decent meal can be carried in and kept fresh for a day or so,  meat can be pre frozen, double wrapped in foil and wrapped in a piece of clothing in your pack,  it'll stay frozen for quite a long time if kept out of the hot sun,  I've had ribeye steak keep for 24 hours and still be cold and fresh well into the next day,  and most veggies will keep without refrigeration for a few days. 
  There's really no reason why today with the variety of trail ready foods, freeze dried super market foods, and long term storage survival foods that any of us should have to suffer bland and tasteless foods in the woods.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
no problem with boring food with our gang >:D
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
the ONLY way to have 'additive free' food, is to make and pack it your self.   That is not all that difficult, but if you are going to depend on packaged commercial food products, you pretty much have to accept what they make it with.