Author Topic: Grilling Tips and Tricks.  (Read 298 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Grilling Tips and Tricks.
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
We have a sticky for "All Things Smoked and BBQ", but it is sort of an antique, so I'm starting this thread fresh.
I'm hoping we can share some ideas, and learn a few things.

For starters, I've been listening to all the bad press given your average BBQ grill cleaners/scrapers.  Apparently a few ERs have had visitors who have ingested the wire bristles of some of this type.  I even switched to a "pumice stone" cleaner, until I found out it was leaving silica (glass) granules all over the grate! :shocked:

So I went back to a method I first saw 40-odd years ago demonstrated by a guy showing Weber grills at a trade fair: Aluminum foil. It works the dream, actually.

Just scrub your grate while it's still warm and the foil will even get those pesky drips that defy other brushes.  If you don't want to go totally rhetro, Cabelas sells a woven wire pad on a stick that won't shed bristles since it has none.

So...does anyone have and handy tricks or ideas they'd like to share?
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Grilling Tips and Tricks.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »
Ha!  I was just out grilling a couple of steaks on the deck and as I cleaned it with the wire bristle brush I thought about that news of the people ingesting pieces of wire.  After I scrape off last bbq's little bit of burnt on stuff I take a synthetic abrasive pad and clean the grill.  Once in awhile I take them out and use Dawn dish soap and that abrasive pad to clean them up pretty well. 

I use a charcoal as much as I can.  Mine has two grills and you can remove one and set a cast iron oven in there and make biscuits while slow cooking meat on the other side. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »
Ha!  I was just out grilling a couple of steaks on the deck and as I cleaned it with the wire bristle brush I thought about that news of the people ingesting pieces of wire.  After I scrape off last bbq's little bit of burnt on stuff I take a synthetic abrasive pad and clean the grill.  Once in awhile I take them out and use Dawn dish soap and that abrasive pad to clean them up pretty well. 

I use a charcoal as much as I can.  Mine has two grills and you can remove one and set a cast iron oven in there and make biscuits while slow cooking meat on the other side.
I still use the abrasive pad my DW so thoughtfully bought me, but I follow up with a damp paper towel to remove any granules. The MSDS says the silica dioxide would have to be ingested by the spoonful, or inhaled to hurt you, but eating ground glass doesn't appeal to me any more than brass/steel bristles.   :crazy:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:16:03 AM »
Another tip:

I've tried cooking spray and oil to prevent sticking of dry rubbed meat on the grill. But something I like better is a raw potato.  Cut a potato in half, and rub it all over the grate after you preheat it. The starchy juice from the potato coats the surface, and your seasonings stay on the food instead of the grill when you flip it.   8)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 07:42:49 AM »
We use charcoal but this tip is for propane grills. A dentist I worked for when I was in my teens did this and said he had the greatest NY strip I'd ever eat. He would heat the lava rocks for about an hour on high heat. Then he turned the gas off completely and put the steaks on. I've never done it but I can attest to the greatest NY strip I've ever had!!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »
We use both a charcoal AND a gas grill, depending on available time & circumstances, but I finally got sick of replacing crappy gas grills that burn and rust out after only a couple of years. >:(   We bought one of these babies when they were on sale at Cabela's about 5 years ago and couldn't be more pleased!  The grill unit can be removed, folded shut and carried to the car wash for a Spring cleaning, replaced if the sheet-metal ever rusts through without having to buy the cast aluminum burner units and the versatility as an industrial-strength camp stove is unparalleled!   Study this page from Camp Chef and bask in the excellence of design.....

https://www.campchef.com/big-gas-grill-three-burner-stove.html

WOLFY APPROVED! :banana: :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »
We use both a charcoal AND a gas grill, depending on available time & circumstances, but I finally got sick of replacing crappy gas grills that burn and rust out after only a couple of years. >:(   We bought one of these babies when they were on sale at Cabela's about 5 years ago and couldn't be more pleased!  The grill unit can be removed, folded shut and carried to the car wash for a Spring cleaning, replaced if the sheet-metal ever rusts through without having to buy the cast aluminum burner units and the versatility as an industrial-strength camp stove is unparalleled!   Study this page from Camp Chef and bask in the excellence of design.....

https://www.campchef.com/big-gas-grill-three-burner-stove.html

WOLFY APPROVED! :banana: :thumbsup:
We have a Camp Chef 2 burner stove. I'll have to see if their BBQ accessory would fit mine.
We got a Grill Ware 3 burner from Lowes a number of years ago. Made in Australia. Tubular stainless steel burners w/5 year warranty.  After 3 years, they sent us a new set of burners.  The steel fire box finally burned out after about 7 years, but I was very pleased with the $250 we spent.  I've a several Sunbeam, Charbroil and other "box store" grills and like you, got tired of only getting a couple years service from them.
Recently we bought a Huntington 2-burner w/side burner. It's made in Canada. Paid about $130 for it at Home Depot.  Cast aluminum fire box with a unique diffuser plate design. Very happy with it so far.