Author Topic: The latest addition to my kit Council Tool Pack Axe 24"  (Read 194 times)

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
  • Homesteading in Virginia
The latest addition to my kit Council Tool Pack Axe 24"
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
A couple weeks ago I purchased the Council Tool 2# wood craft pack axe. It's definitely on the pricey side at around $140 but I feel that like any good blade or cutting tool, you do get what you pay for. I've only played around with it in the back yard but I'm confident that it will hold up for many years in the field. I won't hesitate to recommend this axe to anyone.

By the way don't forget to seal your axe handles. If you use linseed or mineral oil you'll have to soak it for a few days to let it penetrate since wood such as hickory has a very dense grain and doesn't readily absorb. I do a lot of woodworking so I used some stain/sealant that I had on hand. The stain really makes the grain show nicely. I prefer to use stain/seal because oil won't prevent mold and grime from penetrating the wood where as a good sealant will.  Not all stain has sealant by the way and many that do don't say so on the label - an annoying fact when you're in to finishing wood.  You can test your stain on a piece of scrap wood and if it becomes tacky after a few minutes then it has sealant. In a pinch you can wipe the handle down with a thin coat of vaseline (which is mineral oil). Also, you can put oil based stain & sealant on wood that has been previously treated with oil after it's been allowed to dry for a few days. Any of these methods work just fine to preserve you axe handles - it's mostly a matter of personal taste beyond that.

Have fun out there!

Link to Council Tool pack axe: http://counciltool.com/new-wood-craft-axe-line/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:06:57 PM by Homesteader »
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: The latest addition to my kit Council Tool Pack Axe 24"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »
That is a great axe!  I've been using the dickens out of the 18" version.  It's a handy thing and I'm reaching for it more and more all the time.  I bet that 24" version is sweet!  Put some pics up sometime if you can.  Can't have too many axe pics around here :) 

:chopwood:
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
That is a great axe!  I've been using the dickens out of the 18" version.  It's a handy thing and I'm reaching for it more and more all the time.  I bet that 24" version is sweet!  Put some pics up sometime if you can.  Can't have too many axe pics around here :) 

:chopwood:

I'm not set up anywhere to host pics and I have to transfer pics to a usb drive to upload them as well. I need to work on that I suppose. For now I added a link to my original message that points to the Council Tool page for the axe I bought. I had ordered the 18" version of the axe but canceled it the next day and went for the 24". In reality I want both! It is a sweet tool.
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
A couple weeks ago I purchased the Council Tool 2# wood craft pack axe. It's definitely on the pricey side at around $140 but I feel that like any good blade or cutting tool, you do get what you pay for. I've only played around with it in the back yard but I'm confident that it will hold up for many years in the field. I won't hesitate to recommend this axe to anyone.

By the way don't forget to seal your axe handles. If you use linseed or mineral oil you'll have to soak it for a few days to let it penetrate since wood such as hickory has a very dense grain and doesn't readily absorb. I do a lot of woodworking so I used some stain/sealant that I had on hand. The stain really makes the grain show nicely. I prefer to use stain/seal because oil won't prevent mold and grime from penetrating the wood where as a good sealant will.  Not all stain has sealant by the way and many that do don't say so on the label - an annoying fact when you're in to finishing wood.  You can test your stain on a piece of scrap wood and if it becomes tacky after a few minutes then it has sealant. In a pinch you can wipe the handle down with a thin coat of vaseline (which is mineral oil). Also, you can put oil based stain & sealant on wood that has been previously treated with oil after it's been allowed to dry for a few days. Any of these methods work just fine to preserve you axe handles - it's mostly a matter of personal taste beyond that.

Have fun out there!

Link to Council Tool pack axe: http://counciltool.com/new-wood-craft-axe-line/
After years of fussing with tung oil and linseed oil, I find I prefer Spar Verathane. Easy application, easy clean up, wears like iron and pretty much non-slip grip when wet.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
After years of fussing with tung oil and linseed oil, I find I prefer Spar Verathane. Easy application, easy clean up, wears like iron and pretty much non-slip grip when wet.

I'm not familiar with Spar Verathane. It sounds like something used on outdoor furniture which should work as well as anything. From experience I know some indoor water based urethanes will turn milky when they get wet. I made that mistake on a countertop once. I'm no fan of linseed oil either but to each their own as they say.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
Spar Urethane. It's a typo. It's what they use on canoe paddles. I'm sure it'd be great for a handle.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »
Spar Urethane. It's a typo. It's what they use on canoe paddles. I'm sure it'd be great for a handle.
Thanks, my confusion. The Spar Urethane I use is Varathane brand.
Spar Urethane is the new improved formula to replace spar varnish. Like the old varnish, it's formulated to withstand saltwater spray and ocean conditions.  If fact, it says NOT FOR INDOOR USE right on the label.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 05:42:59 AM »
I didn't think to mention something about the Council Tool axe. I noticed the head appears to be epoxy glued to the handle. I don't buy new axes very often - is this typical construction?