Author Topic: Plant & Fungi Tinders.  (Read 488 times)

Offline Keith H

• Mill File+
    • A Woodsrunners Diary
Plant & Fungi Tinders.
« on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:49 AM »

Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference. Frost.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Re: Plant & Fungi Tinders.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
I have been asked to present a demonstration of flint and steel fire starting during a lecture on frontier blacksmithing.  We are presenting the demo for a local book club who have just read a book on Texas History.  Just for practice, I started three fires this afternoon with different char materials, one of which was charred punk wood (Courtesy of one of Keith's videos).  I used tow flax for the tinder bundle because there is not much else dry to use just after 48" of rain.  I even got a sulfur splint to catch fire on the char ember.  Nice to know I can still catch a spark.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Keith H

• Mill File+
    • A Woodsrunners Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
I have been asked to present a demonstration of flint and steel fire starting during a lecture on frontier blacksmithing.  We are presenting the demo for a local book club who have just read a book on Texas History.  Just for practice, I started three fires this afternoon with different char materials, one of which was charred punk wood (Courtesy of one of Keith's videos).  I used tow flax for the tinder bundle because there is not much else dry to use just after 48" of rain.  I even got a sulfur splint to catch fire on the char ember.  Nice to know I can still catch a spark.

Good one Qc, well done (Thanks for the plug  :)
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference. Frost.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »
I am getting my fire kit up to snuff and have discovered I was low on char cloth.  I have charred punk wood in good supply but like redundancy. I cut up a piece of 100% Cotton Terrycloth bath towel, put it in an Altoids tin, put it in my gas forge and got it up to a dull red and held it until it quit smoking.  I took it out, let the tin cool and opened it.  Yup, char cloth.  Except it was crispy to the touch and will NOT catch a spark.  I suspect the 100% Walmart cotton has a fair amount of polyester in it but wanted another opinion.  I will be looking for another source of 100% cotton, too.
-John Denver

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 12:57:42 PM »
I suspect you charred the char right out of it.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Keith H

• Mill File+
    • A Woodsrunners Diary
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
I am getting my fire kit up to snuff and have discovered I was low on char cloth.  I have charred punk wood in good supply but like redundancy. I cut up a piece of 100% Cotton Terrycloth bath towel, put it in an Altoids tin, put it in my gas forge and got it up to a dull red and held it until it quit smoking.  I took it out, let the tin cool and opened it.  Yup, char cloth.  Except it was crispy to the touch and will NOT catch a spark.  I suspect the 100% Walmart cotton has a fair amount of polyester in it but wanted another opinion.  I will be looking for another source of 100% cotton, too.

Yes, it needs to be pure cotton or linen. In the 18th century it was often tow rag that was used if they were using cloth, & it was simply charred directly in the fire the same way as fungi & plant tinders. Amadou was sold on the city streets & at the apothecary shop. I don't bother with charred cloth anymore, plant & fungi tinders are far superior & readily available out bush.
Keith.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
Not much usable fungi in the gulf coast regions of the US.
-John Denver

Offline Keith H

• Mill File+
    • A Woodsrunners Diary
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
Not much usable fungi in the gulf coast regions of the US.

Well you have the advantage of me there, I don't know anything about that area. But where there is wood, there will be wood rot, so there should be punk wood. How about Cattail plants, Bulrush? You may need to do some experimenting with what you do have available there.
Keith.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:47 AM »
Well, I should say there is little on any fungus useful for tinder.  Wood rots quickly in the moist climate here so there is an abundance of punk wood.  Cat tails are found occasionally, too.  Pinecones and needles are abundant and fatwood can be found in the pine forests. I usually use three pine cones wrapped in a sheet of newspaper to start my coal forge.
-John Denver

Online hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
QC cotton is cotton walmart or otherwise
just make sure it's 100% i've used walmart bath towles and the made great char cloth.